This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Maximizing Volumetric Efficiency of IC Engine through Intake Manifold Tuning
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Due to reciprocating nature of IC engine, flow physics in intake manifold is complex and has significant effect on volumetric efficiency. Variable length intake manifold technology offers potential for improving engine performance.
This paper therefore investigated effect of intake length on volumetric efficiency for wider range of engine speeds. For this purpose 1-D thermodynamic engine model of a single cylinder 611cc standard CFR engine capable of predicting pressure waves in the intake was developed. For validation, pressure waves were predicted at two different locations on intake manifold and compared against test data. This model was used to predict volumetric efficiency for different intake lengths and engine speeds.
Volumetric efficiency was found to be a function of both engine speed and intake length, more so at higher engine speeds. Frequency analysis of intake pressure waves during suction stroke and intake valve closed phase was carried out separately. Best volumetric efficiency was observed for intake runner length exhibiting pressure waves with 4th order fundamental frequency during intake valve closed phase and 1st order fundamental frequency during suction stroke. Based on Helmholtz resonator theory and acoustic theory (Kinsler equation) optimum intake length was calculated. Simulation predicted optimum intake length was in agreement with theoretically calculated optimum intake length.
|Journal Article||Wear Properties of Car Engine Shaft in Actual Engine Environment|
|Journal Article||Estimation of Oil Supply Time during Engine Start-Up at Very Low Temperatures|
CitationMalkhede, D. and Khalane, H., "Maximizing Volumetric Efficiency of IC Engine through Intake Manifold Tuning," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1738, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1738.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Margary , R. , Nino , E. , and Vafidis , C. The Effect of Intake Duct Length on the In-Cylinder Air Motion in a Motored Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 900057 1990 10.4271/900057
- Stone , R. and Ball , J. Automotive Engineering Fundamentals Warrendale Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 2004 50 58 0-7680-0987-1
- Pulkrabek Willard W. Engineering Fundamentals of the Internal Combustion Engine Prentice Hall 0-13-140570-5 166 177 2003
- Heisler , H. Advance Engine Technology Warrendale Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1995 229 284 9781560917342
- Sammut , G. and Alkidas , A. Relative Contributions of Intake and Exhaust Tuning on SI Engine Breathing - A Computational Study SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0492 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0492
- Li , J. , Zhou , L. , Jiang , D. , and Pan , K. Frequency Analysis Technique for Intake and Exhaust Manifold Design SAE Technical Paper 952070 1995 10.4271/952070
- Taylor , J. , Gurney , D. , Freeland , P. , Dingelstadt , R. et al. Intake Manifold Length Effects on Turbocharged Gasoline Downsizing Engine Performance and Fuel Economy SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0714 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0714
- Engelman H. W. Surge phenomenon in engine scavenging Ph.D. thesis University of Wisconsin Illinois 1953
- Thompson , M. P. Non-mechanical supercharging of a four stroke diesel engine M. S. thesis The Ohio state university Illinois 1968
- Ceviz , M. A. , Akın , M. Design of a new SI engine intake manifold with variable length plenum Energy Convers Manage 2010 10.1016/j.enconman.2010.03.018
- Potul , S. , Nachnolkar , R. and Bhave , S. Analysis Of Change In Intake Manifold Length And Development Of Variable Intake System International Journal of Scientific & Technology Research 3 5 223 228 2014
- Capetti , Antonio Effect of intake pipe on the volumetric efficiency of an internal combustion engine National advisory committee for Aeronautics report NACA-TM-501 February 1 1929
- David , A. M. Intake manifold design for an air restricted engine M. S. thesis School of Dynamic Systems, The University of Cincinnati Ohio 2012
- Kinsler , L. E. Fundamentals of Acoustics John Wiley & Sons 0-471-84789-5 272 295 1980
- Vítek , O. and Polášek , M. Tuned Manifold Systems - Application of 1-D Pipe Model SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0004 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0004
- Falcāo , C.E.G. , Wildner , F. D. , Rech , C. , Vielmo , H. A. et al. Experimental measurements of pressure waves in intake system of a CFR engine 14 th Brazilian Congress of Thermal Sciences and Engineering Brazil November 18-22 2012