This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Control Method for Starting of Linear Internal Combustion Engine-Linear Generator Integrated System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The linear internal combustion engine-linear generator integrated system (LICELGIS) is a generating unit with high power density, high efficiency and low emission for the range-extended electric vehicle. The LICELGIS starts with the linear generator, which shows the advantages of speed, efficiency and emission reduction, as well as the prerequisite to guarantee the steady operation of the system.
This paper focuses on the reversing control method and the energy utilization efficiency in the starting process of the LICELGIS.
Pursuant to the starting requirements of the linear internal combustion engine, the fewest driving cycle and the evaluation index are obtained. Meanwhile, the velocity tracking mode and the position tracking mode is proposed for the control of the starting force reversing. The motions of the starting process under two control method are comparatively analyzed, indicating that the former has a high efficiency, while the latter is more likely to achieve.
The starting process of the LICELGIS is simulated on the validated mathematical model with the position tracking mode to analyze the impact of the different starting parameters including the initial position, the magnitude of starting force, and the reversing position of the starting force.
An improved position tracking mode with variable reversing positions is proposed, synthesized both the features of the velocity tracking mode and the position tracking mode. The reversing positions of the starting force each cycle are determined by what under the velocity tracking mode. This optimized method can be the scheme for the starting experiment of the system prototype.
CitationSun, C., Wang, Z., Yin, Z., and Zhang, T., "Investigation of Control Method for Starting of Linear Internal Combustion Engine-Linear Generator Integrated System," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1729, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1729.
- Kock , F. , Haag , J. , and Friedrich , H. The Free Piston Linear Generator - Development of an Innovative, Compact, Highly Efficient Range-Extender Module SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1727 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1727
- Kosaka , H. , Akita , T. , Moriya , K. , Goto , S. et al. Development of Free Piston Engine Linear Generator System Part 1 - Investigation of Fundamental Characteristics SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1203 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1203
- Mikalsen , R. , Roskilly , A. The Control of a Free-Piston Engine Generator. Part 1: Fundamental Analyses Applied Energy 87 4 1273 1280 2010
- Mikalsen , R. , Roskilly , A. The Control of a Free-Piston Engine Generator. Part 2: Engine Dynamics and Piston Motion Control Applied Energy 87 4 1281 1287 2010
- Mikalsen , R. , Jones , E. , Roskilly , A. Predictive Piston Motion Control in a Free-Piston Internal Combustion Engine Applied Energy 87 5 1722 1728 2010
- Van Blarigan , P. , Paradiso , N. , and Goldsborough , S. Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition with a Free Piston: A New Approach to Ideal Otto Cycle Performance SAE Technical Paper 982484 1998 10.4271/982484
- Goldsborough , S. Evaluating the Heat Losses from HCCI Combustion within a Rapid Compression Expansion Machine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0870 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0870
- Li , Q. , Li , X. , Liu , T. , Xiao , J. et al. Study on Starting Phase of a Free Piston Engine Proceedings of the 2010 Chinese Society for Internal Combustion Engines 19 27 2010
- Liu , F. , Zhao , S. , Wang , D. , Jiang , Y. Analysis of Starting Process in Free-Piston Engine-Generator Transactions of the Chinese Society for Agricultural Machinery 44 7 6 11 2013
- Eid , A. , Suh , K. , Choi , K. et al. A Unique Starting Scheme of Linear-Engine Tubular PM Linear Generator System Using Position Feedback Controlled PWM Inverter Proceedings of Power Electronics Specialists Conference 1 5 2006
- Zulkifli , S. , Karsiti , M. , Aziz , A. Rectangular Current Commutation and Open-Loop Control for Starting of a Free-Piston Linear Engine-Generator Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE International Conference on Power and Energy 1086 1091 2008
- Zulkifli , S. , Karsiti , M. , Aziz , A. Investigation of Linear Generator Starting Modes by Mechanical Resonance and Rectangular Current Commutation Proceedings of IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference 425 433 2009
- Abidin , E. , Ibrahim , A. , Aziz , A. et al. Investigation of Starting Behaviour of a Free-Piston Linear Generator Journal of Applied Sciences 12 24 2592 2597 2012
- Li , L. , Luan , Y. , Wang , Z. , Deng , J. et al. Simulations of Key Design Parameters and Performance Optimization for a Free-piston Engine SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1105 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1105