This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Near-field Acoustic Holography to Low Temperature Engine Start-up Noise Issue Resolution
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An issue of engine squealing in low temperature range (around −25°C) right after start-up emerged for a significant number of vehicles in a vehicle program. The earlier effort had focused on typical common culprits such as the pulley-belt systems etc. However, much effort, by subjective listening and guestimating hardware replacement, yielded no fruitful results for more than a year. The application of near-field acoustic holography on top of the engine in a climate chamber quickly identified several noise source locations. Further noise source identification effort on top, front and left side of the engine pinpointed the top three noise source locations: the idler pulley and water pump on front, the air compressor on right side, and the air intake throttle on top. Then a series of experiments were subsequently conducted, leading to a conclusion that the idler pulley was the source of the issue. Finally, investigation of the pulley system confirmed that the insufficient lubricating capacity at low temperature was the root cause. By switching to a type of lower base oil viscosity lubricating grease characterized by lower rotation torque in cold temperature conditions, the issue was successfully resolved.
|Technical Paper||Noise and Vibration Refinement of the Ford 3.8 Liter Powertrain|
|Technical Paper||Weight Reduction Feasibility of Engine Components Concerning Noise and Vibration Characteristics|
|Technical Paper||A High Performance Passive Muffler Valve|
CitationLi, L., Yang, Y., Zhao, F., Zhang, Z. et al., "Application of Near-field Acoustic Holography to Low Temperature Engine Start-up Noise Issue Resolution," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1666, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1666.
- Sugiuraa , N. , Tania , H. , Yamamotob , K. , and Shukub , T. Analysis of high frequency noise in engine timing belt JSAEReview 19 1 33 38 1998 10.1016/S0389-4304(97)00046-5
- Koyama , T. , Watanabe , K. , Nagai , K. , and Kagotani , M. A Study on Timing Belt Noise (How to Reduce Resonant Noise) J. Mech. Des. 112 3 419 423 1990 10.1115/1.2912624
- Sheng , G. , Liu , K. , Otremba , J. , Pang J. , Qatu , M. , and Dukkipati , R. A model and experimental investigation of belt noise in automotive accessory belt drive system International Journal of Vehicle Noise and Vibration 1 1 2 68 82 2004
- Ueda , M. Mechanism and countermeasures for abnormal noise produced by idler pulley bearings under low temperature conditions Koyo Engineering Journal 160E 37 41 2002
- Williams , E. G. , Maynard , J. D. , and Skudrzyk , E. Sound source reconstruction using a microphone array J. Acoust. Soc.Am. 68 1 340 344 1980 10.1121/1.384602
- Maynard , J. D. , Williams , E. G. , and Lee , Y. Nearfield acoustic holography: I. Theory of generalized holography and the development of NAH J. Acoust. Soc.Am. 78 4 1395 1413 1985 10.1121/1.392911
- Marroquin , M. A Comparison of Seven Different Noise Identification Techniques SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1690 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1690
- Abe , T. , Cheng , M. , and Chao , P. Application of Nearfield Acoustic Holography for Evaluating the Design of Engine Cover SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1848 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1848
- Abualfeilat , A. , Chevalier , S. , Tabbert , D. , Moondra , M. et al. Diagnostics of Engine Noise During Run-up Using HELS Based Nearfield Acoustical Holography SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2505 2005 10.4271/2005-01-2505
- Zhang , W. , Raveendra , S. , Lee , M. , and Bolton , J. Reconstruction of Noise Source in a Ducted Fan Using a Generalized Nearfield Acoustical Holography SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0416 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0416
- Sherif , H. , Elkhodary , R. , and Roshdy , A. Comparative Study of Techniques Used for Gearbox Diagnosis SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0148 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0148
- Zugo , S. , Smith , C. , Braun , C. , and Kazour , J. Acoustic Holography for High Pressure Fuel Injector Noise Measurements SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1679 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1679
- Li , L. , Li , J. , Lu , B. , Liu , Y. Apply Near-Field Acoustic Holography to Identify the Noise Source of Pass-by Vehicles Proceedings of the FISITA 2012 World Automotive Congress 201 481 504 2012 10.1007/978-3-642-33832-8_38