This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on the Cylinder-by-cylinder Variations Detection and Control Algorithm of Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The cylinder-by-cylinder variations have many bad impacts on the engine performance, such as increasing the engine speed fluctuation, enlarging the torsional vibration and noise. To deal with this problem, the impact mechanism of cylinder-by-cylinder variations on low order torsional vibration has been studied in this paper, and subsequently a new individual cylinder control strategy was designed by processing the instantaneous crankshaft rotation speed signal, detecting the cylinder-by-cylinder variation and using feed-back control. The acceleration characteristics of each cylinder in each engine cycle were compared with each other to extract the variation index. The feed-back control algorithm was based on the regulation of the fuel injection according to the detected variation level. Considering the limited accuracy of ordinary crankshaft signal and the discreteness of sampled signal, an improved variation detection method has been designed to ensure the accuracy of algorithm when implemented in real time operation of the production electronic control unit (ECU). A detailed cylinder-by-cylinder turbocharged engine model has been established to verify the proposed individual cylinder control algorithm, both in off-line simulation and hardware in the loop (HIL) test. A desirable result has been achieved and the precision bound for the algorithm has been discussed.
CitationLi, H., Huang, Y., Li, G., and Yang, Y., "Research on the Cylinder-by-cylinder Variations Detection and Control Algorithm of Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1644, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1644.
- Li , J. , Yang M. , Zhou , M. et al. Impact analysis of the cylinder-by-cylinder variation to the diesel engine performance Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering 3 50 53 2001
- Chun , K. and Kim , K. Measurement and Analysis of Knock in a SI Engine Using the Cylinder Pressure and Block Vibration Signals SAE Technical Paper 940146 1994 10.4271/940146
- Samimy , B. , Rizzoni , G. , and Leisenring , K. Improved Knock Detection by Advanced Signal Processing SAE Technical Paper 950845 1995 10.4271/950845
- Klenk , M. , Moser , W. , Mueller , W. , and Wimmer , W. Misfire Detection by Evaluating Crankshaft Speed - A Means to Comply with OBDII SAE Technical Paper 930399 1993 10.4271/930399
- Eriksson , L. , Nielsen , L. , and Glavenius , M. Closed Loop Ignition Control by Ionization Current Interpretation SAE Technical Paper 970854 1997 10.4271/970854
- Azzoni , P. , Cantoni , G. , Minelli , G. , Moro , D. et al. Measurement of Engine Misfire in the Lamborghini 533 V-12 Engine Using Crankshaft Speed Fluctuations SAE Technical Paper 950837 1995 10.4271/950837
- Williams , J. An Overview of Misfiring Cylinder Engine Diagnostic Techniques Based on Crankshaft Angular Velocity Measurements SAE Technical Paper 960039 1996 10.4271/960039
- Azzoni , P. , Moro , D. , Porceddu-Cilione , C. , and Rizzoni , G. Misfire Detection in a High-Performance Engine by the Principal Component Analysis Approach SAE Technical Paper 960622 1996 10.4271/960622
- Jianqiu Li and Minggao Yang Feedback control for cylinder by cylinder uniformity of automotive engines Journal of Tsinghua University 39 11 65 68 Nov 1999
- Hyvönen , J. , Haraldsson , G. , and Johansson , B. Balancing Cylinder-to-Cylinder Variations in a Multi-Cylinder VCR-HCCI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1897 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1897
- Li Ruixue ; Huang Ying ; Li Gang ; Song He Control-oriented modeling and analysis for turbocharged diesel engine system Measurement, Information and Control (ICMIC), 2013 International Conference on 02 855 860 16 18 Aug. 2013 10.1109/MIC.2013.6758096
- Rezeka , S. and Henein , N. A New Approach to Evaluate Instantaneous Friction and Its Components in Internal Combustion Engines SAE Technical Paper 840179 1984 10.4271/840179
- Kao , M. , Moskwa , J.J. Turbocharged diesel engine modeling for nonlinear engine control and estimation ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control 117 1995