This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
MMLV: Vehicle Durability Design, Simulation and Testing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Multi Material Lightweight Vehicle (MMLV) developed by Magna International and Ford Motor Company is a result of a US Department of Energy project DE-EE0005574. The project demonstrates the lightweighting potential of a five passenger sedan, while maintaining vehicle performance and occupant safety. Prototype vehicles were manufactured and limited full vehicle testing was conducted. The MMLV vehicle design, comprised of commercially available materials and production processes, achieved a 364kg (23.5%) full vehicle mass reduction, enabling the application of a 1.0-liter three-cylinder engine resulting in a significant environmental benefit and fuel reduction.
The three key requirements of structural performance evaluation for vehicle development are NVH, durability and safety. This paper presents the durability assessment of the MMLV design and prototype via CAE simulation of body-in-white structure, subframe and closure designs as well as the full vehicle field durability test at the Ford Michigan Proving Ground. The vehicle durability test assures the prototype meets the Ford Corporate Standard equivalent to 150,000 miles durability life while CAE simulation provides the durability map to assist field test examination.
|Technical Paper||MMLV: NVH Sound Package Development and Full Vehicle Testing|
|Technical Paper||MMLV: Crash Safety Performance|
|Technical Paper||A Probabilistic Approach in Virtual CAE Fatigue Life Prediction for Components of Exhaust System|
CitationBolar, N., Buchler, T., Li, A., and Wallace, J., "MMLV: Vehicle Durability Design, Simulation and Testing," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1613, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1613.
- HBM-nCode, Inc. DesignLife User Guide
- MSC Software Corporation MSC/MD Nastran Quick Reference Guide 2011 2013
- MSC Software Corporation MSC/MD Nastran Dynamic Analysis User Guide 2011 2013
- Huang Liping , Agrawal Hari User Manual of Fatigue with DYNAMics (FDYNAM) for Vehicle Durability CAE Oct. 2000 Ford internal software
- Huang , L. , Agrawal , H. , and Victor Borowski , V. Dynamic Analysis of a Vehicle Body Structure Using Modal Transient Method 1997 IMAC XV - 15th International Modal Analysis Conference
- Dassault Systemes Abaqus 6.12/6.13 Keywords Reference Manual 2012