This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effects of Unsteady Flow Conditions on Vehicle in Cabin and External Noise Generation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A vehicle driving on the road experiences unsteady flow conditions which are not generally reproduced in the development environment. This paper investigates the potential importance of this difference to aeroacoustics and hence to occupant perception and proposes a methodology to enable better ranking of designs by taking account of wind noise modulation.
Two approaches of reproducing the effects of unsteady wind on aeroacoustics were investigated: an active wind tunnel Turbulence Generation System (TGS) and a quasi-steady approach based on measurements at a series of fixed yaw angles. A number of tools were used to investigate the onset flow and its impacts, including roof-mounted probe, acoustic heads and surface microphones. External noise measurements help to reveal the response of separate exterior noise sources to yaw.
The noise experienced by the driver or passenger ear facing the side-glass is dominated by increased sound pressure levels when the adjacent side-glass is the leeward side of the vehicle with some non-linear effects as leeward yaw produces first accelerated flow and then separation.
In part because of non-linearity in response to yaw, a challenging parameter for a wind tunnel simulation of dynamic yaw is achieving a wide enough variation in yaw angle and this work suggests that considering an appropriate range of yaw angles is more important than capturing the dynamics.
In terms of passenger perception, the most important effect of a time-varying onset flow was demonstrated to be the modulation of wind noise rather than the increase in time-averaged cabin noise. For the case considered, at 130 km/h, the impact of wind-noise modulation was found to be equivalent to an extra 1-2 dBA in terms of passenger perception, while the increment in time-averaged cabin noise would be only 0.2 dBA.
|Journal Article||A Study on North American Customer Preference to Interior Noise using Sound Balance Analysis|
|Technical Paper||Exterior Acoustics Using Infinite Elements|
|Technical Paper||The Effects of Unsteady On-Road Flow Conditions on Cabin Noise|
CitationKounenis, C., Sims-Williams, D., Dominy, R., Berson, A. et al., "The Effects of Unsteady Flow Conditions on Vehicle in Cabin and External Noise Generation," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1555, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1555.
Vehicle Aerodynamics, 2015
Number: SP-2351; Published: 2015-04-21
Number: SP-2351; Published: 2015-04-21
- Sims-Williams , D. Cross Winds and Transients: Reality, Simulation and Effects SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst 4 1 172 183 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0172
- Wojciak , J. , Theissen , P. , Heuler , K. , Indinger , T. et al. Experimental Investigation of Unsteady Vehicle Aerodynamics under Time-Dependent Flow Conditions - Part2 SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0164 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0164
- Ryan , A. and Dominy , R. The Aerodynamic Forces Induced on a Passenger Vehicle in Response to a Transient Cross-Wind Gust at a Relative Incidence of 30° SAE Technical Paper 980392 1998 10.4271/980392
- Theissen , P. , Wojciak , J. , Heuler , K. , Demuth , R. et al. Experimental Investigation of Unsteady Vehicle Aerodynamics under Time-Dependent Flow Conditions - Part 1 SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0177 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0177
- Wagner , A. and Wiedemann , J. Crosswind Behavior in the Driver's Perspective SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0086 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0086
- Garry , K. , van Macklin , A. , and Opstal , E. Measurement of Transient Aerodynamic Loads on Bluff Bodies at Extreme Yaw Angles Royal Aeronautical Society Vehicle Aerodynamics Conference 1994 Loughborough, UK
- Kremheller , A. Experimental Investigation on Aerodynamic Effects During Overtaking and Passing Manoeuvres International Vehicle Aerodynamics Conference 2014 Holywell Park, Loughborough, UK October 14 15 2014
- Schroeck , D. , Krantz , W. , Widdecke , N. , and Wiedemann , J. Unsteady Aerodynamic Properties of a Vehicle Model and their Effect on Driver and Vehicle under Side Wind Conditions SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst 4 1 108 119 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0154
- Howell , J. Aerodynamic Drag in a Windy Environment International Vehicle Aerodynamics Conference 2014 Holywell Park, Loughborough, UK October 14 15 2014
- Windsor , S. Real World Drag Co-Efficient - Is It Wind Averaged Drag? International Vehicle Aerodynamics Conference 2014 Holywell Park, Loughborough, UK October 14 15 2014
- Wickern , G. and Lindener , N. The Audi Aeroacoustic Wind Tunnel: Final Design and First Operational Experience SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0868 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0868
- Lindener , N. , Miehling , H. , Cogotti , A. , Cogotti , F. et al. Aeroacoustic Measurements in Turbulent Flow on the Road and in the Wind Tunnel SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1551 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1551
- Oettle , N. , Sims-Williams , D. , Dominy , R. , Darlington , C. et al. The Effects of Unsteady On-Road Flow Conditions on Cabin Noise: Spectral and Geometric Dependence SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst 4 1 120 130 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0159
- Oettle , N. The Effects of Unsteady On-Road Flow Conditions on Cabin Noise Ph.D. thesis School of Engineering and Computing Sciences, Durham University Durham 2013
- Mankowski , O. The Wind Tunnel Simulation and Effect of Turbulent Air flow on Automotive Aerodynamics Ph.D. thesis School of Engineering and Computing Sciences, Durham University Durham 2013
- Thompson , M. , Watkins , S. , and Kim , J. Wind-Tunnel and On-Road Wind Noise: Comparison and Replication SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1255 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1255
- Alam , F. , Watkins , S. , and Zimmer , G. Mean and time-varying flow measurements on the surface of a family of idealised road vehicles Experimental thermal and fluid science 27 5 639 654 2003 10.1016/S0894-1777(02)00278-9
- Cogotti , A. Evolution of performance of an automotive wind tunnel Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 96 6 667 700 2008 10.1016/j.bbr.2011.03.031
- Duell , E. , Walter , J. , Yen , J. , and Nagle , T. Progress in Aeroacoustic and Climatic Wind Tunnels for Automotive Wind Noise and Acoustic Testing SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst 6 1 448 461 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1352
- Murad , N. , Naser , J. , Alam , F. , and Watkins , S. Computational fluid dynamics study of vehicle A-pillar aero-acoustics Applied Acoustics 74 6 882 896 2013 10.1016/j.apacoust.2012.12.011
- Zimmer , G. , Alam F. , and Watkins S. The Contribution of the A-pillar vortex to Passenger Car In-cabin Noise 14th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference December 9 14 2001 Adelaide University, Australia
- Wickern , G. and Brennberger , M. Scaling Laws in Automotive Aeroacoustics SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0180 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0180
- Kounenis , C.D. , Sims-Williams , D.B. , Dominy , R.G. et al. Interactions between underbody aerodynamics and aeroacoustics International Vehicle Aerodynamics Conference 2014 Holywell Park, Loughborough, UK October 14 15 2014
- Gaylard , A.P. Aerodynamic Development of the New Jaguar XF 7th MIRA International Conference on Vehicle Aerodynamics 2008, Coventry MIRA Ltd Nuneaton October 22 23 2008
- Cogotti , A. Aeroacoustics Development at Pininfarina SAE Technical Paper 970402 1997 10.4271/970402
- Cogotti , A. Upgrade of the Pininfarina Wind Tunnel - The New “13-Fan” Drive System SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0569 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0569
- Cogotti , A. From steady-state to unsteady aerodynamics and aeroacoustics. The evolution of the testing environment in the Pininfarina wind tunnel Seventh International Symposium on Fluid Control, Measurement and Vision 2003 Sorrento, Italy August 25 28 2003
- Brüel & Kjær B&K type 4949 surface microphones technical specification http://www.bksv.com/Products/transducers/acoustic/microphones/microphone-preamplifier-combinations/4949?tab=overview Jan. 2015
- Freeman , C.M. , and Gaylard , A.P. Integrating CFD and Experiment: The Jaguar Land Rover Aeroacoustics Process 7th MIRA International Conference on Vehicle Aerodynamics 2008 England October 22 23 2008
- Oettle , N. , Mankowski , O. , Sims-Williams , D. , Dominy , R. et al. Assessment of a Vehicle's Transient Aerodynamic Response SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0449 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0449
- Oettle , N. , Mankowski , O. , Sims-Williams , D. , Dominy , R. et al. Evaluation of the Aerodynamic and Aeroacoustic Response of a Vehicle to Transient Flow Conditions SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst 6 1 389 402 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1250
- Fastl , H. , and Zwicker , E. Psychoacoustics: Factsand models Third Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2007 315 368 978-3-642-51765-5
- Sims-Williams , D.B. , Oettle , N.R. , Mankowski , O.R. , and Dominy , R.G. Assessment of Aerodynamic Response to Transients Through On-Road Measurements IMechE Vehicle Aerodynamics Conference, 2012 Nuneaton, UK October 30 2012
- Oettle , N.R. , Sims-Williams , D.B. , and Dominy , R.G. Evaluation of the Aeroacoustic Response of a Vehicle to Transient Flow Conditions FKFS - 9thAerodynamic Conference, Progress in Vehicle Aerodynamics and Thermal Management 2013 Stuttgart, Germany October 1 2 2013