This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Tire Characteristics and Vehicle Performance on Snow-covered Roads
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Vehicle dynamic performance on snow-covered roads is one aspect of performance that is influenced by tire performance. Much research concerning a vehicle's performance on snow-covered roads has focused on being directed to vehicle control technology that increases control when the tire-slip ratio is larger, such as anti-lock braking systems (ABS) and electronic stability control (ESC). There has been little research, regarding performance when the slip ratio on a snow- covered road is smaller.
We studied the friction performance of tires on snow-covered roads to predict vehicle performance within the grip range. We propose a technology for predicting vehicle performance within the small slipangle range and also verify its effectiveness.
We established the tire characteristics that assure the grip range on a snow-covered road using performance indicators. We used a vehicle model based on a linear two degree of freedom system, in combination with a driver model in a closed-loop simulation to predict handling performance in the small slip-angle range of a vehicle equipped with tires with these characteristics. We show that these results correlate with the subjective evaluations of drivers on actual vehicles.
CitationYokoyama, T., Hiratsuka, K., and Notomi, S., "A Study of Tire Characteristics and Vehicle Performance on Snow-covered Roads," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1522, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1522.
- Buchner , G. , Centner , R. , and Knowles , T. Evaluation of Empirical Tread Design Predictions of Snow Traction As Measured with a Self-Contained Traction Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 820345 1982 10.4271/820345
- Okubo , R. Effects of Tyre Temperature under Actual Driving on Type Characteristics JSAE Paper no. 20125750 2012
- Abe , K. Automotive Vehicle Dynamics Theory and Applications 2008 223 243
- Harada , H. Stability Criteria and Evaluation of Steering Maneuver in a Driver-Vehicle System -The Effects of Rear Wheel Steering in Lane Change Driving- Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C 58 546 418 424 1992
- Seta , E. Prediction of Snow/Tire Interaction Using Explicit FEM and FVM2 TIRE SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY 2003
- Takimoto , S. A Study of Driver's Behavior in Turning a Curve JSAE Paper no. 9732748 1997