This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on Vehicle Collision Predicting using Vehicle Acceleration and Angular Velocity of Brake Pedal
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The combination of passive and active vehicle safety technologies can effectively improve vehicle safety. Most of them predict vehicle crashes using radar or video, but they can't be applied extensively currently due to the high cost. Another collision forecasting method is more economic which is based on the driver behavior and vehicle status, such as the acceleration, angular velocity of the brake pedal and so on. However, the acceleration and angular velocity of the brake pedal will change with the driver and the vehicle type.
In order to study the effect of different drivers and vehicle types on the braking acceleration and angular velocity of the brake pedal, six volunteers were asked to drive five vehicles for simulating the working conditions of emergency braking, normal braking, inching braking and passing barricades under different velocities. All the tests were conducted on asphalt road, and comprehensive experimental design was used to arrange tests. One-way and two-way ANOVA have been used to analyze the driver, vehicle and braking initial velocity effect on the acceleration and angular velocity of the brake pedal which based on the peak algorithm.
The results showed that the acceleration and angular velocity of the brake pedal can be used to predict collisions, which have significantly difference between emergency and non-emergency conditions. Drivers and vehicles both have an effect on vehicle acceleration and brake pedal angular velocity, so threshold should change according to the drivers and vehicles. The results can provide significant support for parameters setting of predicting the collision.
CitationZhang, G., Yu, F., OuYang, Z., Chen, H. et al., "Study on Vehicle Collision Predicting using Vehicle Acceleration and Angular Velocity of Brake Pedal," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1405, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1405.
- Kusano , K. and Gabler , H. Target Population for Injury Reduction from Pre-Crash Systems SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0463 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0463
- Ito , D. , Ejima , S. , Sukegawa , Y. , Antona , J. et al. Assessment of a pre-crash seatbelt technology in frontal impacts by using a new crash test sled system with controllable pre-impact braking 23 rd International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Seoul 2013
- Schoeneburg , R. and Breitling , T. Enhancement of active and passive safety by future PRE-SAFE systems 2005 ESV Conference, Washington DC Paper 2005
- Cao , L. , Ding , H. , Li , K. , and Cui , C. Computational Simulation and Test Study of an Extendable and Retractable Automobile Crash Energy Absorbing Device Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering 2009 17 2137 2141 2009
- Kim , J. A Study on the Characteristics of Occupant Injury Severity at Different Positions of Seat Adjustments SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0015 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0015
- Chai , C. and Lin , X. Study on driving behavior in emergency 2010 IEEE 11th International Conference on Computer-Aided Industrial Design&Conceptual Design1 2010
- Tokoro , S. , Moriizumi , K. , Kawasaki , T. , Nagao , T. et al. Sensor fusion system for pre-crash safety system Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, 2004 IEEE 2004 IEEE
- Park , S. , Pil Hwang , J. , Kim , E. , Lee , H. et al. A neural network approach to target classification for active safety system using microwave radar Expert Systems with Applications, 2010 37 3 2340 2346 2010
- Ortega , J.D. , Nieto , M. , Cortes , A. , and Florez , J. Perspective multiscale detection of vehicles for real-time forward collision avoidance systems Advanced Concepts for Intelligent Vision Systems 2013 Springer
- Isermann , R. , Mannale , R. and Schmitt , K. Collision-avoidance systems PRORETA: Situation analysis and intervention control Control Engineering Practice, 2012 20 11 1236 1246 2012
- Song , X. , Feng , G. and Yang , J. The Current State and Trends of Automotive Active Collision-avoidance System Automotive Engineering, 2008 4 2008
- Dickmanns , E.D. Computer vision and highway automation Vehicle System Dynamics, 1999 31 5-6 325 343 1999
- Prestl , W. , Sauer , T. , Steinle , J. , and Tschernoster , O. The BMW Active Cruise Control ACC SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0344 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0344
- Wang , J. , Zhang , L. , Zhang , D. , and Li , K. An adaptive longitudinal driving assistance system based on driver characteristics Intelligent Transportation Systems, IEEE Transactions on, 2013 14 1 1 12 2013
- Baumann , K.-H. , Schöneburg , R. and Justen , R. The vision of a comprehensive safety concept Proceedings of 17th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles 2001
- Haufe , S. , Treder , M.S. , Gugler , M.F. , Sagebaum , M. et al. EEG potentials predict upcoming emergency brakings during simulated driving Journal of neural engineering, 2011 8 5 056001 2011
- Tobata , H. , Takagi , H. , Pal , C. , and Fukuda , S. Development of pre-crash active seat belt system for real world safety 18th International Conference on Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, Paper 2003
- Xiao , J. and Liu , J. Early Forecast and Recognition of the Driver Emergency Braking Behavior Computational Intelligence and Security, 2009. CIS'09. International Conference on 2009 IEEE
- Buss , D.M. Evolutionary psychology: The new science of the mind. 1999 Allyn & Bacon
- Patten , C.J. , Kircher , A. , Östlund , J. , Nilsson , L. et al. Driver experience and cognitive workload in different traffic environments Accident Analysis & Prevention, 2006 38 5 887 894 2006
- Schmidt-Daffy , M. Velocity versus safety: Impact of goal conflict and task difficulty on drivers' behaviour, feelings of anxiety, and electrodermal responses Transportation research part F: traffic psychology and behaviour, 2012 15 3 319 332 2012
- Liu , X. , Liu , X. and Wang , Z. Effect of Driver Visual Characteristics on Road Traffic Safety Tractor & Farm Transporter, 2009 3 59 60 2009
- Schmidt-Daffy , M. , Brandenburg , S. and Beliavski , A. Velocity, safety, or both? How do balance and strength of goal conflicts affect drivers' behaviour, feelings and physiological responses? Accident Analysis &Prevention, 2013 55 90 100 2013
- Reed , M.P. , Manary , M.A. , Flannagan , C.A. , and Schneider , L.W. Effects of vehicle interior geometry and anthropometric variables on automobile driving posture Human Factors: The Journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, 2000 42 4 541 552 2000
- Zhu , W. , Ge , R. and Zang , L. A Research on Vehicle Braking Pattern Recognition Strategy for Actuating Seat Cushion Adjuster Automotive Engineering, 2011 5 438 441 2011
- Kiefer , R.J. , LeBlanc , D.J. and Flannagan , C.A. Developing an inverse time-to-collision crash alert timing approach based on drivers' last-second braking and steering judgments Accident Analysis & Prevention, 2005 37 2 295 303 2005
- Zhang , T. and Zhen , W. Ignition Circuit for Automotive Airbag System Tsinghua Science and Technology, 2002 42 4 527 530 2002
- Yan , X. , Radwan , E. and Guo , D. Effects of major-road vehicle speed and driver age and gender on left-turn gap acceptance Accident Analysis & Prevention, 2007 39 4 843 852 2007
- Ozkan , T. and Lajunen , T. Why are young men risky drivers? The effects of sex and gender-role on aggressive driving, traffic offences and accident involvement among young men and women Turkish drivers Aggressive Behavior, 2005 31 6 547 558 2005