This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Lightweight of Auto Body Based on Topology Optimization and Sensitivity Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Lightweight has been the main focus of the auto industry in recent years. To improve the competitiveness, the weight reduction should be achieved without compromising the performance. A new lightweight strategy of auto body is proposed in this research to improve the efficiency of the traditional lightweight method. Topology optimization is first applied to find the weak part of the BIW (Body-In-White) and small size parts are added to improve the overall performance. Punching and shape cutting are also applied in this step to reduce the material area. This will maximize the potential for the later lightweight. Sensitivity analysis is then applied in this study to optimize the plate thickness. By optimizing the thickness, the weight of the BIW reduced significantly. The various performance verifications were carried out to verify the efficiency of the optimization. The results indicate that the lightweight is achieved successfully while keeping the main performance uncompromised. The combination of the topology optimization and sensitivity could maximize the potential for the lightweight and is of great effectiveness in weight reduction. It also serves as a good example for other auto parts lightweight problems.
|Technical Paper||An Optimization Model for Reallocating Stamped Parts|
|Technical Paper||Simulation of Aircraft Assembly via ASRP Software|
CitationZhou, G., Li, G., Cheng, A., Wang, G. et al., "The Lightweight of Auto Body Based on Topology Optimization and Sensitivity Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1367, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1367.
- Matteo B. , Poerre D. Topology optimization for minimum weight with compliance and stress constraints Structural Multidisciplinary Optimization 369 384 2012
- Saitou K. Decomposition-based assembly synthesis based on structural considerations ASME Journal of Mechanical Design 593 601 2002
- Bangert C. Introduction to the TOSCA Software FE-DESIGN Technical Seminar Beijing 2004
- Chunning J. , Huimin H. , Baojun L. , and Ping H. Modal analysis of a body in white based on sensitivity analysis Proceedings of 2012 conference on mechatronics and automation 2012
- Bendsqe M.P. , Kikuchi N. Generating optimal topologies in structural design using a homogenization method Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 197 224 1988
- Jun L. , Shan L. , Liu J.Z. , Hu W.Y. Topology Optimization of Fuel-cell-car's vice-frame Structure Applied Mechanics and Materials 278 280 2013
- Lewiński T. , Czarnecki S. , Dzierżanowski G. , and Sokół T. Topology optimization in structural mechanics Bulletin of the Polish Academy of Sciences: Technical Sciences 23 37 2013
- WeiHong Z. , ZhiDong Z. , JiHong Z. , and Tong G. Structural topology optimization: Extensibility and attainability Science China Technological Sciences 1310 1321 2014
- Sudin , M.N. , Tahir M.M. , Ramli F.R. , Shamsuddin S.A. Topology optimization in automotive brake pedal redesign International Journal of Engineering and Technology 398 402 2014
- Muniyasamy K. , Baskar M. Topology Optimization of Aircraft Fuselage Structure Proceedings of World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology 121 124 2013
- Holmberg E. , Torstenfelt , B. , Klarbring , A. Fatigue constrained topology optimization Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 207 219 2014
- Karaoglu S. , Secgin A. Sensitivity Analysis of Submerged Arc Welding Process Parameters Journal of Material Process Technology 500 507 2007
- Jianbin S. , Dingbang X. , Xiong W. , Zhihua C. , and Xuezhong W. Vibration sensitivity analysis of the “Butterfly-gyro” structure Microsystem Technologies 1281 1290 2014
- Yifan Z. , Nikolova , N.K. , Meshram M.K. Design Optimization of Planar Structures Using Self-Adjoint Sensitivity Analysis IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation 3060 3066 2012
- Guan Z. , Feiyun X. , Aiguo C. , Gichao G. , and Guochun W. The optimization of steering system based on HAM and FEM China Mechanical Engineering 1633 1637 2012