This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automotive Turbochargers Compressor Onset of Surge Prediction using Computational Fluid Dynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The stable operation of turbocharger compressor at low flow rates is important to provide low end engine torque for turbocharged automotive engines. Therefore, it is important to be able to predict the lowest flow rates at different turbocharger speeds at which the surge phenomenon occurs. For this purpose, three-dimensional Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) simulations were performed on the turbocharger compressor including the entire compressor wheel and volute. The wheel consisted of six main and six splitter blades.
Historically, flow bench and engine testing has been used to detect surge phenomenon. However a complete 3D CFD analysis can be performed upfront in the design to calculate low end compressor surge performance. The analyses will help understand the fundamental mechanisms of stalled flow, the surge phenomenon, and impact of compressor inlet conditions on surge. To reduce computational time a small volume of compressed air system, essentially a small ‘B’ system as introduced by Greitzer , is used in the CFD model. CFD results have been compared with gas stand compressor maps and have good agreements for the compressor map points.
This paper presents a CFD analysis near the low flow region at constant turbo speed to predict automotive centrifugal compressor surge phenomenon.
CitationKarim, A., Miazgowicz, K., and Lizotte, B., "Automotive Turbochargers Compressor Onset of Surge Prediction using Computational Fluid Dynamics," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1280, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1280.
- Greitzer , E. M. Surge and Rotating Stall in Axial Flow Compressors, Part I: Theoretical Compression System Model ASME Journal of Engineering for Power 98 190 198 1976
- Fink , D. A. , Cumpsty , N. A. and Greitzer , E. M. Surge Dynamics in a Free-Spool Centrifugal Compressor System Journal of Turbomachinery April 1992 114 321
- Brand , J , Fallen , M and Kammer , H Future Technologies against Turbocharger Noise Transferred to Exhaust Systems SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0891 2008 10.4271/208-01-0891
- Teng , C. , Pan , F. , Missaoui , J. , and Deraad , S. Flow Noises Associated with Integrated Compressor Anti-Surge Valve SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1532 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1532
- Allam , S. , Knutsson , M. , and Boden , H. Development of Acoustic Models for High Frequency Resonators for Turbocharged IC-Engines SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1559 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1559
- Teng , C. and Homco , S. Investigation of Compressor Whoosh Noise in Automotive Turbochargers SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2 1 1345 1351 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2053
- Trochon , E. A New Type of Silencers for Turbocharger Noise Control SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1436 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1436
- Kindl , M. Helmut , Schorn , A. Norbert , Horst Schulte , Serrano , R. Jose , Margot , Xandra and Donayre , C. J Influence of Various Compressor Inlet Designs on Compressor Performance Ford Research and Advanced Engineering Technical Reports, September, 2004, SRR-2004-0151
- Karim , A. , Miazgowicz , K. , Lizotte , B. , and Zouani , A. Computational Aero-Acoustics Simulation of Compressor Whoosh Noise in Automotive Turbochargers SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1880 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1880
- Pampren , Ronald C. Compressor Surge and Stall Concepts ETI, inc. Norwich, Vermont 1993
- Dehner , R. , Selamet , A. , Keller , P. , and Becker , M. Prediction of Surge in a Turbocharger Compression System vs. Measurements SAE Int. J. Engines 4 2 2181 2192 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1527
- Theotokatos , G. and Kyrtatos , N. DIESEL ENGINE TRANSIENT OPERATION WITH TURBOCHARGER COMPRESSOR SURGING SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1241 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1241
- Bozza , F. and De Bellis , V. Map-Based and 1D Simulation of a Turbocharger Compressor in Surging Operation SAE Int. J. Engines 4 2 2418 2433 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0126
- Margot , X. , Gil , A. , Tiseira , A. , and Lang , R. Combination of CFD and Experimental Techniques to Investigate the Flow in Centrifugal Compressors Near the Surge Line SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0300 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0300
- Dehner , R. , Selamet , A. , Keller , P. , and Becker , M. Simulation of Mild Surge in a Turbocharger Compression System SAE Int. J. Engines 3 2 197 212 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2142
- Naundorf , D. , Bolz , H. , and Mandel , M. Design and Implementation of a New Generation of Turbo Charger Test Benches Using Hot Gas Technology SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0279 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0279
- Galindo , J. , Serrano , J. R. , Guardiola , S. , Cervelló , C. Surge Limit Definition in a Specific Test Bench for the Characterization of Automotive Turbochargers 2006 Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 30 449 462
- Andersen , J. , Lindström , F. , and Westin , F. Surge Definitions for Radial Compressors in Automotive Turbochargers SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 218 231 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0296
- Kabral , R. , Rammal , H. , and Abom , M. Acoustical Methods for Investigating Turbocharger Flow Instabilities SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1879 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1879
- Uhlenhake , G. , Selamet , A. , Fogarty , K. , Tallio , K. et al. Development of an Experimental Facility to Characterize Performance, Surge, and Acoustics in Turbochargers SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1644 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1644