This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The New Toyota 1.2-Liter ESTEC Turbocharged Direct Injection Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Toyota Motor Corporation is developing a series of engines belonging to its ESTEC (Economy with Superior Thermal Efficient Combustion) development concept. This paper describes the development of 8NR-FTS after the subsequent launch of the 2.0-liter DI Turbocharged 8AR-FTS. 8NR-FTS is a 1.2-liter inline 4-cylinder spark ignition downsized turbocharged direct injection (DI) gasoline engine. By following the same basic concepts as 8AR-FTS engine , the 8NR-FTS incorporates various fuel efficient technologies such as a cylinder head with an integrated exhaust manifold, the Atkinson cycle using the center-spooled variable valve timing with mid-position lock system (VVT-iW), and intensified in-cylinder turbulence to achieve high-speed combustion. Instead of the D-4ST (Direct injection 4-stroke gasoline engine Superior version with Turbo) system that incorporates port and direct injection, this engine adopts the D-4T (Direct injection 4-stroke gasoline engine with Turbo) system that performs only DI in each cylinder. In combination with a single-scroll turbocharger, high torque is achieved from low engine speeds by cooperative control with the VVT system. This engine also adopts a stop and start control strategy that achieves speedy and shock-free re-start performance by starting the engine with stratified injection in the first compressed cylinder. The engine can be mated with either a 6-speed manual transmission (6MT) or continuously variable transmission (CVT). Especially with CVT, turbocharger lag duration is reduced by shifting control, and both fun-to-drive dynamic performance and excellent fuel economy are capable by switching two driving mode; “normal” or “sport”.
CitationShinagawa, T., Kudo, M., Matsubara, W., and Kawai, T., "The New Toyota 1.2-Liter ESTEC Turbocharged Direct Injection Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1268, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1268.
- Izumi , W. , Takashi , K. , Koichi , Y. , Teru , O. The New Toyota 2.0-Liter Inline 4-Cylinder ESTEC D-4ST Engine - Turbocharged Direct Injection Gasoline Engine - 23rd Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology Aachen 2014
- Mitani , S. , Hashimoto , S. , Nomura , H. , Shimizu , R. et al. New Combustion Concept for Turbocharged Gasoline Direct-Injection Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 551 559 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1210
- Guido , V. , Christian , E. , Norbert , M. , Fritz , K. The New 2.0l Turbo Engine from the Mercedes-Benz 4-Cylinder Engine Family 21st Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology Aachen 2012
- Rainer , W. , Ralf , B. , Joachim , B. , Rolf , D. et al. The New 2.0L TFSI with the Audi Valvelift System for the Audi A4 - The Next Generation of the Audi TFSI Technology 17th Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology Aachen 2008
- Okada , Y. , Miyashita , S. , Izumi , Y. , and Hayakawa , Y. Study of Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted Spark Ignition Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 584 594 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1218
- Philipp , A. , Jürgen , D. , Matthias , T. , Jens , E. et al. Effect of Fuel and Combustion System on the Pre-Ignition of Boosted SI engines 34th International Motor Symposium Vienna 2013