This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Cost-effective SiC Based Hybrid Switch and Improved Inductor Design Procedure for Boost Converter in Electrical Vehicles Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A cost-effective SiC based hybrid switch and an improved inductor design procedure for boost converter in electric vehicles (EVs) and hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs) are presented in this paper. The feasibility of a hybrid switch using low power SiC MOSFET and high power Si IGBT is investigated to provide a cost-effective and failure-resistant method to employ the fast switching characteristics of SiC devices. The operation of the hybrid switch is tested in double pulse test experiment and compared with the single IGBT. Additionally, the boost inductor design is discussed, which allows the optimization of weight and power loss across different core materials. An improved powder core inductor design procedure is presented to avoid the iterative design procedure provided by the manufacture. Both the powder material and nanocrystalline material are considered in the inductor design procedure. The design result demonstrates that the air-gapped nanocrystalline core inductor achieves smaller size, weight and loss compared with the powder core inductor.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Hybrid and EV First and Second Responder Recommended Practice|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) and Electric Vehicle (EV) Terminology|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Industry Review of xEV Battery Size Standards|
CitationZhang, W., Anwar, S., Costinett, D., and Wang, F., "Investigation of Cost-effective SiC Based Hybrid Switch and Improved Inductor Design Procedure for Boost Converter in Electrical Vehicles Application," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1202, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1202.
- Duvall M. , Alexander M. , Maitra A. , Saucedo D. , Jungers B. , Halliwell J. , Entriken R. , and Davis M. Transportation electrification: A technology overview Electric Power Research Institute Palo Alto, CA, Tech. Rep. July 2011
- Lai Jih-Sheng ; Yu Wensong ; Sun Pengwei ; Leslie , S. ; Arnet , B. ; Smith , C. ; Cogan , A. A Hybrid-Switch-Based Soft-Switching Inverter for Ultrahigh-Efficiency Traction Motor Drives Industry Applications, IEEE Transactions on 50 3 1966 1973 May-June 2014 10.1109/TIA.2013.2284296
- Jiang Yimin ; Hua , G. ; Yang , E. ; Lee , F.C. Soft-switching of IGBTs with the help of MOSFETs in bridge-type converters Power Electronics Specialists Conference, 1993. PESC '93 Record., 24th Annual IEEE 151 157 20-24 Jun 1993 10.1109/PESC.1993.471918
- Ortiz , G. ; Gammeter , C. ; Kolar , J.W. ; Apeldoorn , O. Mixed MOSFET-IGBT bridge for high-efficient Medium-Frequency Dual-Active-Bridge converter in Solid State Transformers Control and Modeling for Power Electronics (COMPEL), 2013 IEEE 14th Workshop on 1 8 23-26 June 2013 10.1109/COMPEL.2013.6626461
- You B. , Kim J. , Lee B. , Choi G. , and Yoo D. Optimization of powder core inductors of buck-boost converters for Hybrid Electric Vehicles Proc. IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference Sep. 2009 730 735
- Kang X. , Lu L. , Wang X. , Santi E. , Hudgins J. L. , Palmer P. R. , and Donlon J. F. Characterization and modeling of the LPT CSTBT-The 5th generation IGBT Conf. Rec. 38th IEEE IAS Annu. Meeting Salt Lake City, UT, USA Oct. 2003 82 87
- Iwamoto H. , Haruguchi H. , Tomomatsu Y. , Donlon J. F. , and Motto E. R. A new punch-through IGBT having a new n-buffer layer IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. 38 1 168 174 Feb. 2002
- Motto E. R. and Donlon J. F. The latest advanced in industrial IGBT module technology Proc. IEEE Appl. Power Electron. Conf. Anaheim, CA, USA Feb. 2004 235 240
- Lai J.-S. , Yu W. , Qian H. , Sun P. , Ralston P. , and Meehan K. High temperature device characterization for hybrid electric vehicle traction inverters Proc. IEEE Appl. Power Electron. Conf. Washington, DC, USA Feb. 2009 665 670