This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multi-Objective Optimization Employing Genetic Algorithm for the Torque Converter with Dual-Blade Stator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The traditional automotive torque converter (TC) is equipped with a single-blade stator, at the suction side of which there is an apparent boundary layer separation at stalling condition because of its large impending angle. The separation flow behind the suction side of stator blade is found to create large area of low-energy flow which blocks effective flow passage area, produces more energy losses, decreases impeller torque capacity and transmission efficiency. It is found effective to suppress the boundary layer separation by separating the original single-blade stator into a primary and a secondary part. The gap between them guides high-energy flow at the pressurized side of the primary blade to the suction side of the secondary one, which helps to make boundary layer flow stable. As a result, the impeller torque capacity and torque ratio at low-speed ratio increase tremendously at the cost of little drop of maximum efficiency. The original matching property between the torque converter and the engine is changed with the increase of impeller torque capacity of the dual-blade stator TC. Furthermore, the Genetic Algorithm(GA) is utilized to optimize matching relation of blade angles among each runner based on the presented modified one-dimensional flow model, and the Pareto frontier with stalling torque ratio and maximum efficiency of the dual-blade stator TC considered is obtained at the premise of unchanged original torque capacity. The new Pareto frontier is improved significantly compared to that of the single-blade one.
|Technical Paper||Dynamic Modeling and Simulation of the Ford AOD Automobile Transmission|
|Technical Paper||Shiftability and Shift Quality Issues in Clutch-Transmission Systems|
|Special Publication||Transmission and Driveline Systems Symposium 2001|
CitationWu, G. and Wang, L., "Multi-Objective Optimization Employing Genetic Algorithm for the Torque Converter with Dual-Blade Stator," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1119, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1119.
- Marathe B.V. , and Lakshminarayana B. Experimental Investigation of Steady and Unsteady Flow Field Downstream of an Automotive Torque Converter Turbine and Stator International Journal of Rotating Machinery 2 2 67 84 1995 10.1155/S1023621X95000224
- Shin , S. , Kim , K. , Kim , D. , Joo , I. et al. The Effect of Reactor Blade Geometry on the Performance of an Automotive Torque Converter SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0885 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0885
- Yasunori , K. , Toshio , K. , Tetsuo S. , Nobuyuki T. et al. A Study on Internal Flow Field of Automotive Torque Converter - Three-dimensional Flow Analysis around a Stator Cascade of Automotive Torque Converter by using PIV and CT Techniques JSAE Review 22 4 559 564 2001 10.1016/S0389-4304(01)00132-1
- Wunderer , R. , and Schilling , R. Numerical simulation of active flow control in Turbomachinery 12th International Symposium on Transport Phenomena and Dynamics of Rotating Machinery Russia March 29 April 7 2009
- Abe , H. , Tsuruoka , M. , Muto , A. , Kato , M. et al. Development of Super Ultra Flat Torque Converter with Multi Plate Lock-up Clutch SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 48 55 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0141
- Shin* , S. , Lee , B. , Hong , J. , and Joo , I. Performance Improvement Using a Slotted Stator of an Automotive Torque Converter SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0247 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0247
- Guangqiang , W. , and Lijun W. CFD Analysis-based Torque Converter Performance Prediction Model with Equivalent Parameters Journal of Tongji University (Natural Science) 41 1 121 127 2013 10.3969/j.issn.0253-374x.2013.01.021
- Guangqiang , W. , and Lijun , W. Performance Optimization of Torque Converters based on Modified 1D Flow Model Journal of Donghua University 29 5 380 384 2012
- Lee , C. , Jang , W. , Lee , J. , and Lim , W. Three Dimensional Flow Field Simulation to Estimate Performance of a Torque Converter SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1146 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1146
- Dong , Y. , and Lakshminarayana , B. Rotating Probe Measurements of the Pump Passage Flow Field in an Automotive Torque Converter Journal of Fluids Engineering 123 3 81 91 2001 10.1115/1.1341202
- Kim , B.S. , Ha , S.B. , Lim W.S. , and Cha S. W. Performance Estimation Model of a Torque Converter International Journal of Automotive Technology 9 2 141 148 2008 10.1007/s12239-008-0018-5
- Dam , C.V. The Aerodynamic Design of Multi-element High-lift Systems for Transport Airplanes Progress in Aerospace Sciences 38 2 101 144 2002 10.1016/S0376-0421(02)00002-7
- Lijun , W. , Guangqiang , W. , and Huan , W. Design Strategy for Modification of Torque Converters Based on Variation Law of Blade Angle Journal of Tongji University (Natural Science) 39 11 1673 1679 2011 10.3969/j.issn.0253-374x.2011.11.020