This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combined State Estimation and Active Fault Detection of Individual-Wheel-Drive Vehicles: An Adaptive Observer-Based Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an adaptive observer-based approach for the combined state estimation and active fault detection and isolation (FDI) of the individual-wheel-drive (IWD) vehicles. A 3-DOF vehicle model coupled with the Highway Safety Research Institute (HSRI) tire model is established and used as the observation model. Based on this model, the dual unscented Kalman filter (DUKF) technique is employed for the observer design to give fusion results of the interdependent state and parameter variables, which undergo nonlinear transformations, with the minimum square errors. Effectiveness of the proposed algorithm is examined and validated through co-simulation between MATLAB/Simulink and CarSim. The results demonstrate that the DUKF-based observer effectively filters the sensor signals, accurately obtains the longitudinal and lateral velocities, explicitly isolates the faulty wheel(s) and accurately estimates the actual torque(s) even with the presence of noise.
CitationSong, P., Zong, C., and Tomizuka, M., "Combined State Estimation and Active Fault Detection of Individual-Wheel-Drive Vehicles: An Adaptive Observer-Based Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1107, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1107.
- Song , P. , Zong , C. , and Tomizuka , M. A Terminal Sliding Mode Based Torque Distribution Control for an Individual-Wheel-Drive Vehicle Journal of Zhejiang University SCIENCE A 15 9 694 710 2014 10.1631/jzus.A1400101
- Venkatasubramanian , V. , Raghunathan R. , Yin , K. , and Kavuri , S. A Review of Process Fault Detection and Diagnosis: Part I: Quantitative Model-Based Methods Computers & Chemical Engineering 27 3 293 311 2003 10.1016/S0098-1354(02)00160-6
- Jiang , B. , Staroswiecki , M. , and Cocquempot , V. Fault Estimation in Nonlinear Uncertain Systems Using Robust/Sliding-Mode Observers IEEE Proceedings-Control Theory and Applications 151 1 29 37 2004 10.1049/ipcta: 20040074
- Ma , L. , and Zhang , Y. DUKF-Based GTM UAV Fault Detection and Diagnosis with Nonlinear and LPV Models Mechatronics and Embedded Systems and Applications (MESA), 2010 IEEE/ASME International Conference on 375 380 2010 10.1109/MESA.2010.5552042
- Wang , R. , and Wang , J. Fault-Tolerant Control with Active Fault Diagnosis for Four-Wheel Independently Driven Electric Ground Vehicles Vehicular Technology, IEEE Transactions on 60 9 4276 4287 2011 10.1109/TVT.2011.2172822
- Dumont , P. E. , Aitouche , A. , and Bayart , M. Fault Detection of Actuator Faults for Electric Vehicle IEEE International Conference on Control Applications 1067 1072 2007 10.1109/CCA.2007.4389375
- Liu , C. , Zong , C. , He , L. , Li , C. et al. Actuator Fault Detection and Diagnosis of 4WID/4WIS Electric Vehicles SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 7 1 14 17 2014 10.4271/2013-01-2544
- Yu , Z. , and Gao , X. Review of Vehicle State Estimation Problem Under Driving Situation Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering 45 5 20 33 2009 10.3901/JME.2009.05.020
- Pan , Z. , Zong , C. , Zhang , J. , Xie , X. et al. UKF and EKF Estimator Design Based on a Nonlinear Vehicle Model Containing UniTire Model Mechatronics and Automation (ICMA), 2009 International Conference on 4780 4784 2009 10.1109/ICMA.2009.5246445
- Wan , E. A. , and Van Der Merwe , R. The Unscented Kalman Filter for Nonlinear Estimation Adaptive Systems for Signal Processing, Communications, and Control Symposium (AS-SPCC), 2000, The IEEE 153 158 2000 10.1109/ASSPCC.2000.882463
- Wenzel , T. A. , Burnham , K. J. , Blundell , M. V. , and Williams , R. A. Dual Extended Kalman Filter for Vehicle State and Parameter Estimation Vehicle System Dynamics 44 2 153 171 2006 10.1080/00423110500385949
- Zong , C. , Song , P. , and Hu , D. Estimation of Vehicle States and Tire-Road Friction Using Parallel Extended Kalman Filtering Journal of Zhejiang University SCIENCE A 12 6 446 452 2011 10.1631/jzus.A1100056
- Dugoff , H. , Fancher , P. , and Segel , L. An Analysis of Tire Traction Properties and Their Influence on Vehicle Dynamic Performance SAE Technical Paper 700377 1970 10.4271/700377