This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Impingement Behavior of Fuel Droplets on Oil Film
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In a direct injection gasoline engine, the impingement of injected fuel on the oil film, i.e. cylinder liner gives rise to various problems such as abnormal combustion, oil dilution and particulate matter emission. Therefore, in order to solve these problems, it is necessary to have a clear understanding of the impingement behavior of the fuel spray onto the oil film. However, there is little information on the impingement behavior of the fuel droplet onto the oil film, whereas many investigations on the impingement behavior of the fuel droplet onto the fuel film are reported.
In this study, fundamental investigations were performed for the purpose of clarifying the impingement behavior of the fuel spray onto the oil film. A single fuel droplet mixed with fluorescence dye was dripped on the oil film. To separately measure the fuel and the oil after impingement, simultaneous Mie scattering and laser-induced fluorescence (LIF) methods were performed. As a result, it is identified that the impingement behavior of the fuel droplet onto the oil film vary considerably and depend on the Weber number (We) of fuel droplet, oil viscosity, oil temperature as well as oil film thickness. And moreover, the results implicated that their behaviors can be defined on the basis of the critical We number.
|Technical Paper||Analysis of Mixture Formation Process with a Swirl-Type Injector|
|Technical Paper||3D Spray Measurement System for High Density Fields Using Laser Holography|
CitationUchida, R., Tanaka, D., Noda, T., Okamoto, S. et al., "Impingement Behavior of Fuel Droplets on Oil Film," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0913, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0913.
Fuel Injection and Sprays, 2015
Number: SP-2354; Published: 2015-04-21
Number: SP-2354; Published: 2015-04-21
- Drake , M. , Fansler , T. , Solomon , A. , and Szekely , G. Piston Fuel Films as a Source of Smoke and Hydrocarbon Emissions from a Wall-Controlled Spark-Ignited Direct-Injection Engine SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0547 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0547
- Steimle , F. , Kulzer , A. , Richter , H. , Schwarzenthal , D. et al. Systematic Analysis and Particle Emission Reduction of Homogeneous Direct Injection SI Engines SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0248 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0248
- Köpple , F. , Jochmann , P. , Kufferath , A. , and Bargende , M. Investigation of the Parameters Influencing the Spray-Wall Interaction in a GDI Engine - Prerequisite for the Prediction of Particulate Emissions by Numerical Simulation SAE Int. J. Engines 6 2 911 925 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1089
- Oliver , B. , Klemens , G. , Kay , H. , Evangelos , K. and K. Moritz , S. Strategies to Control Particulate Emissions of Gasoline Direct Injection Engines FISITA Beijing 2012
- de Francqueville , L. , Thirouard , B. , and Cherel , J. Investigating Unburned Hydrocarbon (UHC) Emissions in a GDI Engine (Homogeneous and Stratified Modes) Using Formaldehyde LIF and Fast-FID Measurements in the Exhaust Port SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4029 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4029
- Wiemer , S. , Kubach , H. , and Spicher , U. Investigations on the Start-Up Process of a DISI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4012 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4012
- Sagawa , T. , Fujimoto , H. , and Nakamura , K. Study of Fuel Dilution in Direct-Injection and Multipoint Injection Gasoline Engines SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1647 2002 10.4271/2002-01-1647
- Matsumura , E. , Kanda , M. , Hattori , F. , Nomura , H. et al. Development of DISI Engine Utilizing a Fan-Shaped Spray Jet SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0260 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0260
- Zahdeh , A. , Rothenberger , P. , Nguyen , W. , Anbarasu , M. et al. Fundamental Approach to Investigate Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 246 273 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0340
- Dahnz , C. , Han , K. , Spicher , U. , Magar , M. et al. Investigations on Pre-Ignition in Highly Supercharged SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 214 224 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0355
- Lauer T. , Heiss , M. , Bobicic , N. and Pritze , S. Model Approach for Pre-Ignition Mechanisms MTZ worldwide 75 1 44 49 2014
- Lindgren , R. and Denbratt , I. Modelling Gasoline Spray-wall Interaction -a Review of Current Models SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2808 2000 10.4271/2000-01-2808
- Bai , C. and Gosman , A. Development of Methodology for Spray Impingement Simulation SAE Technical Paper 950283 1995 10.4271/950283
- Senda , J. , Kanda , T. , Al-Roub , M. , Farrell , P. et al. Modeling Spray Impingement Considering Fuel Film Formation on the Wall SAE Technical Paper 970047 1997 10.4271/970047
- Al-Roub , M. , Farrell , P. , and Senda , J. Near Wall Interaction in Spray Impingement SAE Technical Paper 960863 1996 10.4271/960863
- Marengo , M. Ph. D. Thesis Univ. of Erlangen-Noremberg 1995
- Ehrly , M. , Bartel , D. and Olivia , A. Aif/DFG - Research Cluster, Fuel in Oil FVV Spring Conference Mar. 2014
- Allocca , L. , Alfuso , S. , Marchitto , L. and Valentino , G. GDI Multi-Hole Injector: Particle Size and Velocity Distribution for Single and Jet-to-Jet Evolution Analysis ICLASS 2009, 11 th Triennial International Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems Jul. 2009
- Kato , M. , Fujita , K. , Suzuki , H. , Baba , Y. et al. Analysis of Lubricant Oil Film Behavior on the Piston Surface According with Piston Shapes by Means of LIF and PIV SAE Technical Paper 2009-28-0003 2009 10.4271/2009-28-0003
- Yilmaz , E. , Thirouard , B. , Tian , T. , Wong , V. et al. Analysis of Oil Consumption Behavior during Ramp Transients in a Production Spark Ignition Engine SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3544 2001 10.4271/2001-01-3544