This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Experimental Investigation of Injection and Operating Strategies on Diesel Single Cylinder Engine under JP-8 and Dual-Fuel PCCI Combustion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The alternative fuel jet propellant 8 (JP-8, NATO F-34) can be used as an auto-ignition source instead of diesel. Because it has a higher volatility than diesel, it provides a better air-fuel premixing condition than a conventional diesel engine, which can be attributed to a reduction in particulate matter (PM). In homogeneous charged compression ignition (HCCI) or dual-fuel premixed charge compression ignition (PCCI) combustion or reactivity controlled compression ignition (RCCI), nitrogen oxides (NOx) can also be reduced by supplying external exhaust gas recirculation (EGR). In this research, the diesel and JP-8 injection strategies under conventional condition and dual-fuel PCCI combustion with and without external EGR was conducted.
Two tests of dual-fuel (JP-8 and propane) PCCI were conducted at a low engine speed and load (1,500 rpm/IMEP 0.55 MPa). The first test was performed by advancing the main injection timing from BTDC 5 to 35 CA to obtain the emissions characteristics. A fuel ratio of JP-8 to propane of approximately 30:70 was established based on the low heating value of each fuel without the addition of external EGR. The second test investigated the optimal point for low emissions and indicated mean effective pressure (IMEP) with a small amount of external EGR and a post-injection strategy.
NOx emissions showed a ‘bump’ curve with an advancement of the main injection timing. The PM emissions were maintained below 0.63 mg/m3, which reveals almost zero PM emissions. The optimized test results showed appropriate NOx and PM emissions.
CitationChu, S., Lee, J., Cha, J., Choi, H. et al., "An Experimental Investigation of Injection and Operating Strategies on Diesel Single Cylinder Engine under JP-8 and Dual-Fuel PCCI Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0844, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0844.
- DieselNet Diesel Exhaust Emissions Standards http://dieselnet.com/standards/eu/ld.php July 2014
- Qiang F. , Junjua F. , Jian Z. , and Zhen H. Effects of ethanol-diesel-biodiesel blends on combustion and emissions in premixed low temperature combustion Applied Thermal Engineering 54 2013 541 548 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2013.01.042
- Kokjohn , S. , Hanson , R. , Splitter , D. , and Reitz , R. Experiments and Modeling of Dual-Fuel HCCI and PCCI Combustion Using In-Cylinder Fuel Blending SAE Int. J. Engines 2 2 24 39 2010 10.4271/2009-01-2647
- Heywood , J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals 1988 McGraw-Hill Book Company
- Choi , D. , Jung , H. , Chi , Y. , and Joo , S. Diesel/Gasoline Dual Fuel Powered Combustion System based on Diesel Compression Ignition Triggered Ignition Control SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1718 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1718
- Curran , S. , Prikhodko , V. , Cho , K. , Sluder , C. et al. In-Cylinder Fuel Blending of Gasoline/Diesel for Improved Efficiency and Lowest Possible Emissions on a Multi-Cylinder Light-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2206 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2206
- Liu Haoye , Wang Zhi , Wang Jianxin , He Xin Effects of gasoline research octane number on premixed low-temperature combustion of wide distillation fuel by gasoline/diesel blend Fuel 134 381 388 2014
- Park S , Youn I. , Lim Y , and Lee C. Influence of the mixture of gasoline and diesel fuels on droplet atomization, combustion, and exhaust emission characteristics in a compression ignition engine Fuel Processing Technology 106 February 2013 392 401 10.1016/j.fuproc.2012.09.004
- Lee , J. , Choi , S. , Kim , H. , and Kim , D. et al. Reduction of emissions with propane addition to a diesel engine Int. J. Automotive Technology 14 2013 551 8 10.1007/s12239-013-0059-2
- Deshmukh , B. , Gokhale , N. , Kumar , M. , Aghav , Y. et al. Combustion Behavior of Off-Highway CI Engines Using Biodiesel SAE Technical Paper 2009-26-0035 2009 10.4271/2009-26-0035
- Owens , E. , LePera , M. , and Lestz , S. Use of Aviation Turbine Fuel JP-8 as the Single Fuel on the Battlefield SAE Technical Paper 892071 1989 10.4271/892071
- Lestz , S. and LePera , M. Technology Demonstration of U.S. Army Ground Materiel Operating on Aviation Kerosene Fuel SAE Technical Paper 920193 1992 10.4271/920193
- Lacey , P. and Lestz , S. Effect of Low-Lubricity Fuels on Diesel Injection Pumps - Part I: Field Performance SAE Technical Paper 920823 1992 10.4271/920823
- Schihl , P. , Hoogterp , L. , and Pangilinan , H. Assessment of JP-8 and DF-2 Evaporation Rate and Cetane Number Differences on a Military Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1549 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1549
- Lee . J. , and Bae . C. Application of JP-8 in a heavy duty diesel engine Fuel 90 5 May 2011 1762 1770 10.1016/j.fuel.2011.01.032
- Pickett , L. and Hoogterp , L. Fundamental Spray and Combustion Measurements of JP-8 at Diesel Conditions SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 1 1 108 118 2009 10.4271/2008-01-1083
- Papagiannakis , R. , Kotsiopoulos , P. , Hountalas , D. , and Yfantis , E. Single Fuel Research Program Comparative Results of the Use of JP-8 Aviation Fuel versus Diesel Fuel on a Direct Injection and Indirect Injection Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1673 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1673
- Lee . J. A Study on the Characteristics of JP-8 Combustion and Emission on a CI Engine dissertation from Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Seoul National University 2014
- Lakhlani , H. , Barman , J. , Rajput , K. , and Goswami , A. Experimental Study of EGR Mixture Design and its Influence on EGR Distribution Across the Cylinder for NOx - PM Tradeoff SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2743 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2743
- Reltz , R. and Kuo , T. Modeling of HC Emissions Due to Crevice Flows in Premixed-Charge Engines SAE Technical Paper 892085 1989 10.4271/892085
- Karim , G. , Liu , Z. , and Jones , W. Exhaust Emissions from Dual Fuel Engines at Light Load SAE Technical Paper 932822 1993 10.4271/932822
- Prikhodko , V. , Curran , S. , Barone , T. , Lewis , S. et al. Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Operating with In-Cylinder Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Blending SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 946 955 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2266