This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Highway Fuel Economy Testing of an RCCI Series Hybrid Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the current work, a series-hybrid vehicle has been constructed that utilizes a dual-fuel, Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) engine. The vehicle is a 2009 Saturn Vue chassis and a 1.9L turbo-diesel engine converted to operate with low temperature RCCI combustion. The engine is coupled to a 90 kW AC motor, acting as an electrical generator to charge a 14.1 kW-hr lithium-ion traction battery pack, which powers the rear wheels by a 75 kW drive motor.
Full vehicle testing was conducted on chassis dynamometers at the Vehicle Emissions Research Laboratory at Ford Motor Company and at the Vehicle Research Laboratory at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. For this work, the US Environmental Protection Agency Highway Fuel Economy Test was performed using commercially available gasoline and ultra-low sulfur diesel. Fuel economy and emissions data were recorded over the specified test cycle and calculated based on the fuel properties and the high-voltage battery energy usage.
The results were used to provide estimates of fuel economy and emissions performance with comparisons to a commercially available hybrid vehicle. The estimates also provide guidelines for system improvements to further increase the vehicle performance.
CitationHanson, R., Spannbauer, S., Gross, C., Reitz, R. et al., "Highway Fuel Economy Testing of an RCCI Series Hybrid Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0837, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0837.
- Turns , S.R. An Introduction to Combustion: Concepts and Applications WCB/McGraw-Hill Boston 2000
- Kokjohn , S. , Hanson , R. , Splitter , D. , and Reitz , R. Experiments and Modeling of Dual-Fuel HCCI and PCCI Combustion Using In-Cylinder Fuel Blending SAE Int. J. Engines 2 2 24 39 2010 10.4271/2009-01-2647
- Hanson , R. , Kokjohn , S. , Splitter , D. , and Reitz , R. An Experimental Investigation of Fuel Reactivity Controlled PCCI Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 700 716 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0864
- Splitter , D.A. , Hanson , R.M. , Kokjohn , S.L. , Reitz , R.D. Improving Engine Performance by Optimizing Fuel Reactivity with a Dual Fuel PCCI Strategy Thiesel 2010 Conference 2010
- Splitter , D. , Hanson , R. , Kokjohn , S. , and Reitz , R. Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Heavy-Duty Engine Operation at Mid-and High-Loads with Conventional and Alternative Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0363 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0363
- Union of Concerned Scientists How Hybrid Cars and Trucks Work http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_vehicles/smart-transportation-solutions/advanced-vehicle-technologies/hybrid-cars/how-hybrids-work.html#.VKwEu010yUk 6 January 2015
- Sun , R. , Thomas , R. , and Tang , X. HCCI Engine Application on a Hydraulic Hybrid Bus SAE Int. J. Engines 5 4 1581 1594 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1631
- Hanson , R. , Curran , S. , Wagner , R. , Kokjohn , S. et al. Piston Bowl Optimization for RCCI Combustion in a Light-Duty Multi-Cylinder Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 5 2 286 299 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0380
- Hanson , R. and Reitz , R. Transient RCCI Operation in a Light-Duty Multi-Cylinder Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 6 3 1694 1705 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0050
- CFR, 2012. US Code of Federal Regulations, Title 40, Part 86, Appendix I July 1 2012 543 610 http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2012-title40-vol20/pdf/CFR-2012-title40-vol20.pdf 11 November 2014
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory Fuels Engines and Emissions Research Center 2014 http://feerc.ornl.gov/vrl/ 11 November 2014
- US Department of Energy Detailed Test Information http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml 11 November 2014
- US Environmental Protection agency Annual Certification Test Results and Data http://www.epa.gov/otaq/crttst.htm 11 November 2014
- US Environmental Protection Agency Test Car List Data Files http://www.epa.gov/otaq/tcldata.htm 11 November 2014
- Argonne National Laboratory Advanced Powertrain Research Facility- Downloadable Dynamometer Database http://www.transportation.anl.gov/D3/2012_chevy_volt_phev.html 11 November 2014
- Curran , S. , Hanson , R. , Wagner , R. , and Reitz , R. Efficiency and Emissions Mapping of RCCI in a Light-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0289 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0289
- Prikhodko , V. , Curran , S. , Parks , J. , and Wagner , R. Effectiveness of Diesel Oxidation Catalyst in Reducing HC and CO Emissions from Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 6 2 329 335 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0515
- Remy HVH250-090-SOM Electric Motor Remy Inc. http://www.remyinc.com/docs/hybrid/REM-03_HVH250_DataSht_master.pdf 3 11 2014
- PowerPhase 75 Traction System For Electric, Hybrid Electric, and Fuel Cell Powered Vehicles UQM Technologies http://www.et.aau.dk/digitalAssets/46/46824_uqm_powerphase_75.pdf 2014
- Kluger , M. and Long , D. An Overview of Current Automatic, Manual and Continuously Variable Transmission Efficiencies and Their Projected Future Improvements SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1259 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1259