This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Reaction Zone Propagation by Spark Discharge in Homogeneous Lean Charge after Low-Temperature Oxidation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The interaction between spark discharge and low-temperature oxidation (LTO) was investigated using an optical compression and expansion machine fueled with n-C7H16 or i-C8H18 for an equivalence ratio of 0.33. Charge pressure was adjusted so that the compression stoke could induce LTO for n-C7H16, but could not lead to high-temperature reactions. A spark was discharged in the field before, during, or after the LTO for n-C7H16 or in the field without LTO for i-C8H18. Reaction zones were induced in the field after the LTO, whereas no reaction zones were induced in the fields before the LTO and without LTO. Local ignitions were induced in the areas surrounding the propagating reaction zones. The reaction zone propagation with the low equivalence ratio must be a different phenomenon from conventional flame propagation. The reaction zones can compress or heat the surrounding areas containing H2O2 and CH2O, and accelerate an H2O2 regeneration loop in the pre-reaction zones. The reaction zone induction and propagation can be supported thermally by the H2O2 regeneration loop or chemically by OH generated from H2O2. The local ignitions also can be induced by the H2O2 regeneration loop in the surrounding areas.
The interaction between flame propagation and LTO also was investigated with an equivalence ratio of 0.52. Flame propagation was induced for both n-C7H16 and i-C8H18. Local ignitions were induced in the end gas for n-C7H16. The flame propagation in the field after the LTO was considerably faster than that in the field without LTO. The flame propagation can be accelerated in the field during the LTO and remarkably in the field after the LTO.
CitationKuwahara, K., Furutani, M., Ohta, Y., and Ando, H., "Reaction Zone Propagation by Spark Discharge in Homogeneous Lean Charge after Low-Temperature Oxidation," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0820, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0820.
- Suzuki , R. , Shoji , H. , Yoshida , K. , and Iijima , A. Analysis of Knocking in an SI Engine based on In-cylinder: Spectroscopic Measurements and Visualization SAE Technical Paper 2010-32-0092 2010 10.4271/2010-32-0092
- Teraji , A. , Kakuho , A. , Tsuda , T. , and Hashizume , Y. A Study of the Knocking Mechanism in Terms of Flame Propagation Behavior Based on 3D Numerical Simulations SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 666 673 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0699
- Hyvönen , J. , Haraldsson , G. , and Johansson , B. Operating Conditions Using Spark Assisted HCCI Combustion During Combustion Mode Transfer to SI in a Multi-Cylinder VCR-HCCI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0109 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0109
- Urushihara , T. , Yamaguchi , K. , Yoshizawa , K. , and Itoh , T. A Study of a Gasoline-fueled Compression Ignition Engine ∼ Expansion of HCCI Operation Range Using SI Combustion as a Trigger of Compression Ignition∼ SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0180 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0180
- Wagner , R. , Edwards , K. , Daw , C. , Green , J. et al. On the Nature of Cyclic Dispersion in Spark Assisted HCCI Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0418 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0418
- Reuss , D. L. , Kuo , T.-W. , Silvas , G. , Natarajan , V. et al. Experimental Metrics for Identifying Origins of Combustion Variability during Spark-Assisted Compression Ignition International Journal of Engine Research 9 5 409 434 2008 10.1243/14680874JER01108
- Kojima , S. , Ohta , Y. On the Interaction between Flame and Preflame Reactions - Numerical Analysis (in Japanese) The 20 th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium Japan 497 501 2009
- Kojima , S. , Ohta , Y. Numerical Analysis on the Interaction between Flames and Preflame Reactions under a Knocking Condition 22 nd International Colloquium on the Dynamics of Explosion and Reactive Systems (2 nd ICDERS) 2009
- Martz , J. B. , Middleton , R. J. , Lavoie , G. A. , Babajimopoulos , A. et al. A Computational Study and Correlation of Premixed Isooctane-Air Laminar Reaction Front Properties under Saprk Ignition and Spark Assisted Compression Ignition Engine Conditions Combustion and Flame 158 1089 1096 2011 10.1016/j.combustflame.2010.09.014
- Martz , J. B. , Lavoie , G. A. Im , H. G. , Middleton , R. J. , Babajimopoulos , A. et al. The propagation of a Laminar Reaction Front during End-Gas Auto-Ignition Combustion and Flame 159 2077 2086 2012 10.1016/j.combustflame.2012.01.011
- Yamakawa , M. , Youso , T. , Fujikawa , T. , Nishimoto , T. et al. Combustion Technology Development for a High Compression Ratio SI Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 1 98 105 2012 10.4271/2011-01-1871
- Kuwahara , K. , Hiramura , Y. , Ohmura , S. , Furutani , M. et al. Chemical Kinetics Study on Effect of Pressure and Fuel, O2 and N2 Molar Concentrations on Hydrocarbon Ignition Process SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1113 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1113
- Kuwahara , K. and Ando , H. Role of Heat Accumulation by Reaction Loop Initiated by H2O2 Decomposition for Thermal Ignition SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0908 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0908
- Ando , H. , Sakai , Y. , and Kuwahara , K. Universal Rule of Hydrocarbon Oxidation SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0948 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0948
- Kuwahara , K. , Sezaki , T. , Yamamoto , Y. , Shichi , H. et al. Thermal Ignition Propagation by Spark Discharge Synchronized with LTO (in Japanese) Transaction of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 42 1 163 168 2011
- Miyoshi , A. KUCRS - Detailed Kinetic Mechanism Generator for Versatile Fuel Components and Mixtures The Eighth International Conference on Modeling and Diagnostics for Advanced Engine Systems (COMODIA 2012) 116 121 2012
- Miyoshi , A. Systematic Computational Study on the Unimolecular Reactions of Alkylperoxy (RO 2 ), Hydroperoxyalkyl (QOOH), and Hydroperoxyalkylperoxy (O 2 QOOH) Radicals The Journal of Physical Chemistry A 115 15 3301 3325 2011 10.1021/jp112152n
- Miyoshi , A. Molecular Size Dependent Falloff Rate Constants for the Recombination Reactions of Alkyl Radicals with O 2 and Implications for Simplified Kinetics of Alkylperoxy Radicals International Journal of Chemical Kinetics 44 1 59 74 2012 10.1002/kin.20623
- Ritter , E. R. , Bozzelli , J. W. THERM: Thermodynamic Property Estimation for Gas Phase Radicals and Molecules International Journal of Chemical Kinetics 23 767 778 1991 10.1002/kin.550230903
- Blumenthal , R. , Fieweger , K. , Adomeit , G. Self-ignition of S.I. Engine Model Fuels: A Shock Tube Investigation at High Pressure Combustion and Flame 109 599 619 1997 10.1016/S0010-2180(97)00049-7