This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Study of Soot Reduction Mechanisms of Post-Injection in Spray Combustion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The application of close-coupled post injections in diesel engines has been proven to be an effective in-cylinder strategy for soot reduction, without much fuel efficiency penalty. But due to the complexity of in-cylinder combustion, the soot reduction mechanism of post-injections is difficult to explain. Accordingly, a simulation study using a three dimensional computational fluid dynamics (CFD) model, coupled with the SpeedChem chemistry solver and a semi-detailed soot model, was carried out to investigate post-injection in a constant volume combustion chamber, which is more simple and controllable with respect to the boundary conditions than an engine.
A 2-D axisymmetric mesh of radius 2 cm and height 5 cm was used to model the spray. Post-injection durations and initial oxygen concentrations were swept to study the efficacy of post-injection under different combustion conditions. Several factors that influence the evolution of soot were analyzed, including the distribution of temperature, oxygen concentration, and OH radicals. Additionally, newly developed analysis methods, which can quantify and visualize soot formation, soot oxidation, soot from the main-injection and soot from post-injections individually, were also used to provide more insight into the effects of post-injections.
It was observed that both soot formation and soot oxidation are enhanced by post-injection. Soot formation is increased due to the larger amount of fuel injected, especially under low O2 concentration conditions where the high equivalence ratio favors soot formation. Two mechanisms of soot oxidation were seen which are affected by different factors: soot oxidation by O2 is more sensitive to elevated temperatures and soot oxidation by OH is enhanced due to the presence of OH radicals as intermediate products of post-injection combustion.
CitationYue, Z., Hessel, R., and Reitz, R., "CFD Study of Soot Reduction Mechanisms of Post-Injection in Spray Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0794, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0794.
- Nehmer , D. and Reitz , R. Measurement of the Effect of Injection Rate and Split Injections on Diesel Engine Soot and NOx Emissions SAE Technical Paper 940668 1994 10.4271/940668
- Tow , T. , Pierpont , D. , and Reitz , R. Reducing Particulate and NOx Emissions by Using Multiple Injections in a Heavy Duty D.I. Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 940897 1994 10.4271/940897
- Pierpont , D. , Montgomery , D. , and Reitz , R. Reducing Particulate and NOx Using Multiple Injections and EGR in a D.I. Diesel SAE Technical Paper 950217 1995 10.4271/950217
- O'Connor , J. and Musculus , M. Effects of exhaust gas recirculation and load on soot in a heavy-duty optical diesel engine with close-coupled post injections for high-efficiency combustion phasing Int. J. Eng. Res. 15 4 421 443 2013
- O'Connor , J. and Musculus , M. Effect of Load on Close- Coupled Post-Injection Efficacy for Soot Reduction in an Optical Heavy-Duty Diesel Research Engine J. Eng. Gas Turb. Power 136 101508 2014
- O'Connor , J. and Musculus , M. In-Cylinder Mechanisms of Soot Reduction by Close-Coupled Post-Injections as Revealed by Imaging of Soot Luminosity and Planar Laser-Induced Soot Incandescence in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 673 693 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1255
- Han , Z. , Uludogan , A. , Hampson , G. , and Reitz , R. Mechanism of Soot and NOx Emission Reduction Using Multiple-injection in a Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 960633 1996 10.4271/960633
- Amsden , A. A. , O'Rourke , P. J. and Butler , T. D. KIVA-II - A Computer Program for Chemically Reactive Flows with Sprays Los Alamos National Labs., LA-11560- MS 1989
- Halstead , M. , Kirsh , L. and Quinn , C. The Autoignition of Hydrocarbon Fuels at High Temperatures and Pressures - Fitting of a Mathematical Model Combust. Flame 30 45 60 1977
- Abraham , J. , Bracco , F. V. and Reitz , R. D. Comparisons of Computed and Measured Premixed Charge Engine Combustion Combust. Flame 60 309 322 1985
- Kong , S. , Ayoub , N. , and Reitz , R. Modeling Combustion in Compression Ignition Homogeneous Charge Engines SAE Technical Paper 920512 1992 10.4271/920512
- Kong , S. , Han , Z. , and Reitz , R. The Development and Application of a Diesel Ignition and Combustion Model for Multidimensional Engine Simulation SAE Technical Paper 950278 1995 10.4271/950278
- Nishida , K. and Hiroyasu , H. Simplified Three-Dimensional Modeling of Mixture Formation and Combustion in a D.I. Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 890269 1989 10.4271/890269
- Nagle , J. Strickland-Constable , R. F. Oxidation of Carbon between 1000-2000 C Proc. of the Fifth Carbon Conf 1 Pergammon Press 154 1962
- Yun , H. ; Sun , Y. ; Reitz , R.D. An Experimental and Numerical Investigation on the Effect of Post Injection Strategies on Combustion and Emissions in the Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion Regime ASME Spring Technical Conference, Paper ICES2005-1043 McCormick Place Convention Center Chicago April 05 2005 April 07 2005
- Amsden , A.A. KIVA-3V, Release 2 Improvements to KIVA-3V. LA- UR-99-915
- Kee , R.J. , Rupley , F.M. and Miller , J.A. CHEMKIN-II: A Fortran Chemical Kinetics Package for the Analysis of Gas-Phase Chemical Kinetics Sandia Report, SAND 89-8009 1989
- Hessel , R. , Reitz , R. , Musculus , M. , O'Connor , J. et al. A CFD Study of Post Injection Influences on Soot Formation and Oxidation under Diesel-Like Operating Conditions SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 694 713 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1256
- Wang , B. , Miles , P. , Reitz , R. , Han , Z. et al. Assessment of RNG Turbulence Modeling and the Development of a Generalized RNG Closure Model SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0829 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0829
- Patterson , M. and Reitz , R. Modeling the Effects of Fuel Spray Characteristics on Diesel Engine Combustion and Emission SAE Technical Paper 980131 1998 10.4271/980131
- Reitz , R. D. Modeling atomization processes in high-pressure vaporizing sprays Atom. Spray 3 309 337 1987
- Yoshikawa , T. , Reitz , R. Validation of a grid independent spray model and fuel chemistry mechanism for low temperature diesel combustion Int. J. Spray Combust. Dyn. 1 3 283 316 2009
- Munnannur , A. , Reitz , R. D. A Comprehensive Collision Model for Multidimensional Engine Spray Computations Atom. Spray 19 7 597 619 2009 10.1615/AtomizSpr.v19.i7.10
- Ra , Y. , and Reitz , R. A vaporization model for discrete multi-component fuel sprays Int. J. Multiphase Flow 35 2 101 117 2009
- Perini , F. , Galligani , E. , Cantore , G. , and Reitz , R.D. An analytical Jacobian approach to sparse reaction kinetics for computationally efficient combustion modelling with large reaction mechanisms Energy & Fuels 26 8 4804 4822 2012
- Wang , H. , Yao , M. , Reitz , R. Development of a Reduced Primary Reference Fuel (PRF) Mechanism for IC Engine Combustion Simulations Energy & Fuels 27 12 7843 7853 2013
- Wang , H. , Jiao , Q. , Yao M. , Yang , B. et al. Development of an n-heptane/toluene/PAH Mechanism and its Application for Combustion and Soot Prediction Int. J. Eng. Res. 14 434 451 2013
- Vishwanathan , G. , Reitz , R. Development of a Practial Soot Modeling Approach and Its Application to Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion Combust. Sci. Tech. 182 8 1050 1082 2011
- Fenimore , C. , and Jones , G. Oxidation of soot by hydroxyl radicals J. Phys. Chem. 71 3 593 597 1967
- Hessel , R. , Yue , Z. , Reitz , R. , Musculus , M. et al. Advanced CFD Diagnostics: Tracking Soot from Originating Fuel Sources through to EVO and Distinguishing OH and O2 Oxidation in a Cummins N14 Optical Engine Utilizing Post Injections Advanced Engine Concepts Program Review Meeting Aug. 2014
- Kitamura , T. , Ito , T. , Senda , J. , Fujimoto H. Mechanism of smokeless diesel combustion with oxygenated fuels based on the dependence of the equivalence ratio and temperature on soot particle formation Int. J. Eng. Res. 3 4 223 248 2002
- O'Connor , J. and Musculus , M. Post Injections for Soot Reduction in Diesel Engines: A Review of Current Understanding SAE Int. J. Engines 6 1 400 421 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0917