This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of a High Ignitability Spark Plug with a Flow Guide Plate
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In a high gas velocity condition in cylinder, the ground electrode orientation of the spark plug causes the ignitability to fluctuate due to the change in gas flow around the spark gap. As one method to solve this issue we have focused on controlling the gas flow by plate like airfoils or turbine blades. We have developed gas flow control technology for the spark plug to achieve high ignitability under the worst case condition of ground electrode orientation. The adoption of current ground electrode welding technology has allowed us to locate a flow guide plate on the plug housing.
CitationNishio, N., Aochi, T., Yokoo, N., Nakata, K. et al., "Design of a High Ignitability Spark Plug with a Flow Guide Plate," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0780, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0780.
- Nakata Koichi Engine Technology for Improving Fuel Economy TOYOTA Technical Review 60 Mar. 15 21 2014
- Nakata , K. , Uchida , D. , Ota , A. , Utsumi , S. et al. The Impact of RON on SI Engine Thermal Efficiency SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2007 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2007
- Yoshinaga Tohru , Kawai Hisashi , Igashira Toshihiko , Nakamura Norihiko , Yano Toshiaki , Hirayu Takakuni Improvements on Ignitability for the Series Multipoint Spark Ignition System JSAE 28 3 July 1997
- Yoshinaga Tohru , Igashira Toshihiko , Kawai Hisashi , Nakamura Norihiko Research on Formation and Growth of Flame Kernel in Spark Ignition Engine JSAE 26 2 April 1995
- Bjorge , T. and Max , E. Influence of Electrode Orientation, Temperature and Pressure on Lean Ignition Limits of Methane Heat and Mass Transfer in Gasoline and Diesel Engines, ICHMT 632 646 Dubrovnik 1987
- Ballal , D. R. and Lefebvre , A. H. The Influence of Spark Discharge Characteristics on Minimum Ignition Energy in Flowing Gases Combustion and Flame 24 99 108 1975
- Ziegler , G.F.W. , Schaudt , R.A. and Herweg , R. The Influence of Spark-Plug orientation on Flame Kernel Formation in Flowing Mixtures Proceedings of XXI FISTA 1225 1232 Belgrade 1986
- Tan , Z. and Reitz . R.D. An ignition and combustion model based on the Level-Set method for spark ignition engine multi-dimensional modeling Comb. Flame 145 1 15 2006
- MALY RUDOLF and VOGEL MANFRED INITIATION AND PROPAGATION OF FLAME FRONTS IN LEAN CH 4 -AIR MIXTURES BY THE THREE MODES OF THE IGNITION SPARK Proc. Combust. Inst. 17 821 831 1978