This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Reduction of Fuel Consumption and Engine-out NO x Emissions in a Lean Homogeneous GDI Combustion System, Utilizing Valve Timing and an Advanced Ignition System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study investigated how the amount of dilution applied can be extended while maintaining normal engine operation in a GDI engine. Adding exhaust gases or air to a stoichiometric air/fuel mixture yields several advantages regarding fuel consumption and engine out emissions. The aim of this paper is to reduce fuel consumption by means of diluted combustion, an advanced ignition system and adjusted valve timing.
Tests were performed on a Volvo four-cylinder engine equipped with a dual coil ignition system. This system made it possible to extend the ignition duration and current. Furthermore, a sweep was performed in valve timing and type of dilution, i.e., air or exhaust gases.
While maintaining a CoV in IMEP < 5%, the DCI system was able to extend the maximum lambda value by 0.1 - 0.15. Minimizing valve overlap increased lambda by an additional 0.1.
For dilution by exhaust gases, an increase of 9% was noted for the ignition system and a further increase of 9% was obtained by minimizing the valve overlap at 1500 rpm/5.00 bar BMEP. This exchange of internal combustion residuals for external dilution resulted in a further decrease of fuel consumption but increased engine out NOx.
Using air as a diluter resulted in a 6% fuel consumption benefit over exhaust gas dilution, mainly due to the enhanced combustion efficiency arising from higher oxygen concentrations. However, the lower oxygen concentration when using exhaust gases as a diluter led to 50% lower engine out NOx levels at the dilution limit.
CitationDoornbos, G., Hemdal, S., and Dahl, D., "Reduction of Fuel Consumption and Engine-out NOx Emissions in a Lean Homogeneous GDI Combustion System, Utilizing Valve Timing and an Advanced Ignition System," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0776, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0776.
- European Commission Roadmap for Moving to a Low-Carbon Economy in 2050 http://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/roadmap/index_en.htm 2014
- Dahl D. Gasoline engine HCCI combustion, extending the high load limit. Chalmers University of Technology 2012
- Dahl , D. , Denbratt , I. , and Koopmans , L. An Evaluation of Different Combustion Strategies for SI Engines in a Multi-Mode Combustion Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 324 335 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0426
- Attard , W. and Blaxill , H. A Lean Burn Gasoline Fueled Pre-Chamber Jet Ignition Combustion System Achieving High Efficiency and Low NOx at Part Load SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1146 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1146
- Heywood J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill 1988
- Kitagawa , T. , Smallbone , A. , and Oonishi , T. Propagation and Quench of Premixed Turbulent Flames SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1828 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1828
- Hanabusa , H. , Kondo , T. , Hashimoto , K. , Sono , H. et al. Study on Homogeneous Lean Charge Spark Ignition Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2562 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2562
- Alger , T. , Gingrich , J. , Mangold , B. , and Roberts , C. A Continuous Discharge Ignition System for EGR Limit Extension in SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 677 692 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0661
- Ayala , F. , Gerty , M. , and Heywood , J. Effects of Combustion Phasing, Relative Air-fuel Ratio, Compression Ratio, and Load on SI Engine Efficiency SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0229 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0229
- Ayala , F. and Heywood , J. Lean SI Engines: The role of combustion variability in defining lean limits SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0030 2007 10.4271/2007-24-0030
- Shy S.S. , Liu C.C. , Shih W.T. Ignition Transition in Turbulent Premixed Combustion Combustion and Flame 157 2010 341 350 2009 10.1016/j.combustflame.2009.08.005
- Zhang , A. , Cung , K. , Lee , S. , Naber , J. et al. The Impact of Spark Discharge Pattern on Flame Initiation in a Turbulent Lean and Dilute Mixture in a Pressurized Combustion Vessel SAE Int. J. Engines 6 1 435 446 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1627
- Bertsch , M. , Schreer , K. , Disch , C. , Beck , K. et al. Investigation of the Flow Velocity in the Spark Plug Gap of a Two-Stroke Gasoline Engine using Laser-Doppler-Anemometry SAE Int. J. Engines 5 1 34 41 2012 10.4271/2011-32-0529
- Fansler T.D. , Stojkovic B. , Drake M.C. , Rosalik M.E. Local fuel concentration measurements in internal combustion engines using spark-emissions spectroscopy Applied Physics B 75 577 590 2002 10.1007/s0340-002-0954-0
- Lee , Y. and Boehler , J. Flame Kernel Development and its Effects on Engine Performance with Various Spark Plug Electrode Configurations SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1133 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1133
- Abdel-Rehim A.A. Impact of Spark Plug Number of Ground Electrodes on Engine Stability Ain Shams Engineering Journal 4 307 316 2013 10.1016/j.asej.2012.09.006
- Alger , T. , Mangold , B. , Mehta , D. , and Roberts , C. The Effect of Sparkplug Design on Initial Flame Kernel Development and Sparkplug Performance SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0224 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0224
- Ballal D.R. and Lefebvre A.H. The Influence of Spark Discharge Characteristics on Minimum Ignition Energy inFlowing Gases Combustion and Flame 24 99 108 1975 10.1016/0010-2180(75)90132-7
- Ward , M. High-Energy Spark-Flow Coupling in an IC Engine for Ultra-Lean and High EGR Mixtures SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0548 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0548
- Kratzch M. and Günther M Advanced Ignition Systems for Gasoline Engines Die Deutsche Bibliothek 2012
- Aleiferis , P. , Taylor , A. , Whitelaw , J. , Ishii , K. et al. Cyclic Variations of Initial Flame Kernel Growth in a Honda VTEC-E Lean-Burn Spark-Ignition Engine SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1207 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1207
- Dale J.D. , Checkel M.D. , and Smy P.R. Application of High Energy Ignition Systems to Engines Progression Energy Combustion Science 23 379 398 1997 10.1016/S0360-1285(97)00011-7
- Xu , K. , Xie , H. , Wan , M. , Chen , T. et al. Effect of Valve Timing and Residual Gas Dilution on Flame Development Characteristics in a Spark Ignition Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 7 1 488 499 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1205
- Berntsson , A. , Josefsson , G. , Ekdahl , R. , Ogink , R. et al. The Effect of Tumble Flow on Efficiency for a Direct Injected Turbocharged Downsized Gasoline Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 4 2 2298 2311 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0054
- He , Y. , Selamet , A. , Reese , R. , Vick , R. et al. Impact of Tumble on Combustion in SI Engines: Correlation between Flow and Engine Experiments SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4003 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4003
- Jeon , C. , Chang , Y. , Cho , K. , and Kang , K. Effects of Intake Ports on In-Cylinder Flow and Lean Combustion in a 4-Valve Engine SAE Technical Paper 981048 1998 10.4271/981048
- Larsson , T. , Bergstrom , K. , Hinderman , T. , Hauptmann , L. et al. The Volvo 3-Litre 6-Cylinder Engine with 4-Valve Technology SAE Technical Paper 901715 1990 10.4271/901715
- Bueno A.V. , Velásquez J.A. , and Milanez L.F. A New Engine Indicating Measurement Procedure for Combustion Release Analysis Applied Thermal Engineering 29 1657 1675 2009 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2008.07.023
- Tunestål P. Self-Tuning Gross Heat Release Computation for Internal Combustion Engines Control Engineering Practice 17 518 524 2009 10.1016/j.conengprac.2008.09.012