This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Simulation to Understand the Cause and Sequence of LSPI Phenomena and Suggestion of CaO Mechanism in Highly Boosted SI Combustion in Low Speed Range
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The authors investigated the reasons of how a preignition occurs in a highly boosted gasoline engine. Based on the authors' experimental results, theoretical investigations on the processes of how a particle of oil or solid comes out into the cylinder and how a preignition occurs from the particle. As a result, many factors, such as the in-cylinder temperature, the pressure, the equivalence ratio and the component of additives in the lubricating oil were found to affect the processes. Especially, CaCO3 included in an oil as an additive may be changed to CaO by heating during the expansion and exhaust strokes. Thereafter, CaO will be converted into CaCO3 again by absorbing CO2 during the intake and compression strokes. As this change is an exothermic reaction, the temperature of CaCO3 particle increases over 1000K of the chemical equilibrium temperature determined by the CO2 partial pressure. The possibility of a preignition due to particles including CaCO3 particles is numerically simulated comparing with the experimental results.
CitationMoriyoshi, Y., Yamada, T., Tsunoda, D., Xie, M. et al., "Numerical Simulation to Understand the Cause and Sequence of LSPI Phenomena and Suggestion of CaO Mechanism in Highly Boosted SI Combustion in Low Speed Range," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0755, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0755.
- Morikawa , K. , Moriyoshi , Y. , Kuboyama , T. , IMAI , Y. et al. Investigation and Improvement of LSPI Phenomena and Study of Combustion Strategy in Highly Boosted SI Combustion in Low Speed Range SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0756 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0756
- Kuboyama , T. , Moriyoshi , Y. , and Morikawa , K. Visualization and Analysis of LSPI mechanism Caused by Oil Droplet, Particle and Deposit in Highly Boosted SI Combustion in Low Speed Range SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0761 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0761
- Okada , Y. , Miyashita , S. , Izumi , Y. , and Hayakawa , Y. Study of Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted Spark Ignition Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 584 594 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1218
- Dahnz , C. , Han , K. , Spicher , U. , Magar , M. et al. Investigations on Pre-Ignition in Highly Supercharged SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 214 224 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0355
- Amann , M. , Alger , T. , and Mehta , D. The Effect of EGR on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 235 245 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0339
- Amann , M. , Alger , T. , Westmoreland , B. , and Rothmaier , A. The Effects of Piston Crevices and Injection Strategy on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 5 3 1216 1228 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1148
- Haenel , P. , Seyfried , P. , Kleeberg , H. , and Tomazic , D. Systematic Approach to Analyze and Characterize Pre- ignition Events in Turbocharged Direct-injected Gasoline Engines SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0343 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0343
- Zahdeh , A. , Rothenberger , P. , Nguyen , W. , Anbarasu , M. et al. Fundamental Approach to Investigate Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 246 273 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0340
- Nishiwaki , K. and Hafnan , M. The Determination of Thermal Properties of Engine Combustion Chamber Deposits SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1215 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1215
- Tsurushima T. A new skeletal PRF kinetic model for HCCI, combustion Combustion Institute 32 2009 2835 2841
- Ishikawa Y. Design of an automotive gasoline engine”(in Japanese) Sankaido 2002 53 62
- Reed R. C. , Prausnitz J. M. , and Sherwood T. K. Properties of Gases and Liquids McGraw-Hill. Inc. New York 1978
- Fujimoto , K. , Yamashita , M. , Hirano , S. , Kato , K. et al. Engine Oil Development for Preventing Pre-Ignition in Turbocharged Gasoline Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7 3 869 874 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2785
- Hirano , S. , Yamashita , M. , Fujimoto , K. , and Kato , K. Investigation of Engine Oil Effect on Abnormal Combustion in Turbocharged Direct Injection - Spark Ignition Engines (Part 2) SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2569 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2569
- Tanaka Y. et al. Numerical simulation of preignitions in a highly boosted gasoline engine JSAE Kanto Koen-kai 2014