This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted Spark Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the results of study low-speed Pre-ignition (LSPI) on highly supercharged spark ignition engines. It was investigated on both a gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine with turbo and a port fuel injection (PFI) engine with turbo to find the individual characteristics of LSPI. In terms of the PFI engine, influence of different parameters control strategy such as air-fuel ratio and injection timing on pre-ignition was investigated. In terms of the GDI engine, influence of different control strategies such as injection quantity, first and second injection timing, the second injection ratio, coolant temperature, exhaust valve closing (EVC) and intake manifold temperature (MAT) were investigated. In addition, CFD analysis was extensively used to understand test results including wall film, air-fuel ratio distribution and temperature distribution at top dead centre (TDC). For GDI engine in this paper, pre-ignition (PI) results from the combine action of wall film, temperature distribution at TDC and air- fuel ratio distribution at TDC. Enrich air-fuel rate have effective suppression of low-speed Pre-ignition on the GDI engine and the PFI engine.
CitationHan, L., Zhu, T., Qiao, H., Zhang, D. et al., "Investigation of Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted Spark Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0751, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0751.
- Dahnz , C. , Han , K. , Spicher , U. , Magar , M. et al. Investigations on Pre-Ignition in Highly Supercharged SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 214 224 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0355
- Takeuchi , K. , Fujimoto , K. , Hirano , S. , and Yamashita , M. Investigation of Engine Oil Effect on Abnormal Combustion in Turbocharged Direct Injection - Spark Ignition Engines SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 3 1017 1024 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1615
- Amann , M. , Mehta , D. , and Alger , T. Engine Operating Condition and Gasoline Fuel Composition Effects on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in High-Performance Spark Ignited Gasoline Engines SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0342 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0342
- Dahnz , C. , Spicher , U. Irregular combustion in supercharged spark ignition engines - pre-ignition and other phenomena International Journal of Engine Research 11 6 485 498 2010 10.1243/14680874JER609
- Amann , M. , Alger , T. , Westmoreland , B. , and Rothmaier , A. The Effects of Piston Crevices and Injection Strategy on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 5 3 1216 1228 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1148
- Amann , M. , Alger , T. , and Mehta , D. The Effect of EGR on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 235 245 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0339
- Winklhofer , E. , Hirsch , A. , Kapus , P. , Kortschak , M. et al. TC GDI Engines at Very High Power Density - Irregular Combustion and Thermal Risk SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0056 2009 10.4271/2009-24-0056
- Chapman , E. , Davis , R. , Studzinski , W. , and Geng , P. Fuel Octane and Volatility Effects on the Stochastic Pre-Ignition Behavior of a 2.0L Gasoline Turbocharged DI Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7 2 379 389 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1226
- Okada , Y. , Miyashita , S. , Izumi , Y. , and Hayakawa , Y. Study of Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted Spark Ignition Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 584 594 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1218
- Dingle , S. , Cairns , A. , Zhao , H. , Williams , J. et al. Lubricant Induced Pre-Ignition in an Optical SI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1222 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1222