This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High-Speed Photography of Stratified Combustion in an Optical GDI Engine for Different Triple Injection Strategies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To contribute to knowledge required to meet new emission requirements, relationships between multiple injection parameters, degrees of fuel stratification, combustion events, work output and flame luminosity (indicative of particulate abundance) were experimentally investigated using a single-cylinder optical GDI engine. A tested hypothesis was that advancing portions of the mass injected would enhance the fuel-air mixing and thus reduce flame luminescence. An outward-opening piezo actuated fuel injector capable of multiple injections was used to inject the fuel using different triple injection strategies, with various combinations of late and earlier injections leading to various degrees of fuel stratification. Sprays and combustion events were captured using two high-speed cameras and cylinder pressure measurements. The data were analyzed to assess effects of fuel stratification on yellow flame luminescence (assumed to be dominated by soot luminescence), flame propagation, jet flames, pool fires and heat release. The combustion phasing, amount of fuel injected and engine speed were kept constant and the engine was unthrottled for all tested cases. Image sectorization was used to analyze events captured in different parts of the cylinder. The results show that the injection strategy influences fuel spray behavior and the combustion in terms of both flame luminescence patterns and work output. Injecting some of the fuel earlier results in increased spray liquid penetration, streakier sprays (due to the lower back-pressure), and less intense yellow flame luminescence, but also reductions in work output. The greater portions of fuel injected close to the ignition results in increased soot luminescence.
CitationDahlander, P. and Hemdal, S., "High-Speed Photography of Stratified Combustion in an Optical GDI Engine for Different Triple Injection Strategies," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0745, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0745.
- Sjöberg , M. , Zeng , W. , and Reuss , D. Role of Engine Speed and In-Cylinder Flow Field for Stratified and Well-Mixed DISI Engine Combustion Using E70 SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 642 655 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1241
- Official Journal of the European Union L42/1 Feb. 15 2012
- Johansson , A. , Hemdal , S. , and Dahlander , P. Experimental Investigation of Soot in a Spray-Guided Single Cylinder GDI Engine Operating in a Stratified Mode SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0052 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0052
- Hemdal , Andersson M , Dahlander P , Ochoterena R and Denbratt I In-cylinder soot imaging and emissions of stratified combustion in a spark-ignited spray-guided direct-injection gasoline engine IJER 12 549 563 2011
- Skogsberg , M. , Dahlander , P. , and Denbratt , I. Spray Shape and Atomization Quality of an Outward-Opening Piezo Gasoline DI Injector SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1409 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1409
- Park C. , Kim S. , Kim H. , Lee S. , Kim C. , Moriyoshi Y. Effects of split-injection strategy on the performance of stratified combustion for a gasoline direct-injection engine Proc. IMechE 225 Part D: Automobile Engineering 1415 2011
- Oh , H. , Bae , C. , Park , J. , and Jeon , J. Effect of the Multiple Injection on Stratified Combustion Characteristics in a Spray-Guided DISI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0059 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0059
- Skogsberg , M. ; Dahlander , P. ; Denbratt , I. An experimental study of mixture preparation and combustion in an optical engine using a piezo-actuated injector Direkteinspritzung im Ottomotor VI 143 159 2007
- Kemmler , R. ; Frommelt , A. ; Kaiser , Th. ; Schaupp , U. ; Schommers , J. ; Waltner , A Thermo-dynamischer Vergleich ottomotorischer Brennverfahren unter dem Fokus minimalen Kraftstoffverbrauchs. 11 Aachener Kolloquium 2002
- Achleitner , E. ; Berger , St. ; Frenzel , H. ; Klepatsch , M. ; Warnecke , V. Benzin-Direkteinspritzsystem mit Piezo-Injektor fuer strahlgefuehrte Brennverfahren MTZ 65 2004 338 349
- Huebner , W. ; Witt , A. ; Hoss , B. ; Albrecht , T. ; Durst , B. ; Abdelfattah , A. Methodeneinsats bei der Entwicklungeines weiterfuehrenden DI-Brennverfahren Direkteinspritzung im Ottomotoren IV 2003
- Waltner A. , Lueckert P. , Schaupp U. , Rau E. , Kemmler R. , Weller R. Future Technology of the Sparkignition Engine: Spray-guided Direct Injection with Piezo Injector 27th Vienna Motor Symposium 2006