This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development and Implementation of a Quasi-Static Test for Seat Integrated Seat Belt Restraint System Anchorages
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Over the last decade large safety improvements have been made in crash protection for motorsports drivers. It has been well established that in side and rear impacts the driver seat provides the primary source for occupant retention and restraint. Beginning in the 2015 season, NASCAR®'s (National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, Inc) Sprint Cup Series will require driver seats which have all seat belt restraint system anchorage locations integrated internally to the seat with a minimum of seven anchorage locations.
This paper describes the development of the quasi-static test for the seat integrated seat belt restraint system portion of the NASCAR Seat Submission and Test Protocol Criteria. It reviews the methodology used to develop the testing including the developmental dynamic sled tests.
CitationPatalak, J. and Gideon, T., "Development and Implementation of a Quasi-Static Test for Seat Integrated Seat Belt Restraint System Anchorages," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0739, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0739.
- SFI Specification 39.1 Stock Car Type Racing Seats(Custom), Effective February 26, 2014, http://www.sfifoundation.com/wp-content/pdfs/specs/Spec_39.1_022614.pdf
- Patalak J. and Melvin, J., “Stock Car Racing Driver Restraint - Development and Implementation of Seat Performance Specification,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 1(1):1349-1355, 2009, doi:10.4271/2008-01-2974.
- Patalak, J., Gideon, T., and Melvin, J., “Examination of a Properly Restrained Motorsport Occupant,” SAE Int. J. Trans. Safety 1(2):261-277, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0804.
- Somers, J.T., Melvin, J.W., Tabiei, A., Lawrence, C., Ploutz-Snyder, R., Granderson, B., Feiveson, A., Gernhardt, M., Patalak, J., “Development of Head Injury Assessment Reference Values Based on NASA Injury Modeling”, Stapp Car Crash Journal, Vol. 55 (November 2011), pp. 49-74, The Stapp Association, Paper No. 2011-22-0003.
- Melvin, J.W., Begeman, P.C., Faller, R.K, Sicking, D.L., McClellan, S.B., Maynard, E., Donegan, M.W., Mallott, A.M., Gideon, T.W., “Crash Protection of Stock Car Racing Drivers - Application of Biomechanical Analysis of Indy Car Crash Research”, Stapp Car Crash Journal, Vol. 50 (November 2006), pp. 415-428, The Stapp Association, Paper No. 2006-22-0016.
- Gramling H. and Hubbard, R., “Sensitivity Analysis of the HANS Head and Neck Support,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3541, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-3541.
- Patalak, J., Gideon, T., Melvin, J., and Rains, M., “Improved Seat Belt Restraint Geometry for Frontal, Frontal Oblique and Rollover Incidents,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0740, doi:10.4271./2015-01-0740.
- SFI Specification 16.5 Stock Car Driver Restraint Assemblies, Effective June 5, 2012, http://www.sfifoundation.com/wp-content/pdfs/specs/Spec_16.5_060512.pdf
- Avallone, E.A., Baumeister, T.III, Sadegh, A.M., “Mark's Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers” 11th Edition, ISBN: 0071428674 / 9780071428675.
- U.S Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, 571.210 -STANDARD NO. 210; SEAT BELT ASSEMBLY ANCHORAGES, October 1, 2011. http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol6/pdf/CFR-2011-title49-vol6-sec571-210.pdf
- Melvin, J., Morgan, C., and Gideon, T., “A Shoulder Belt Load Cell for Racing Cars,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1102, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1102.