This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
FRP Mold and Panel Manufacturing for FSAE Body Panel and Driver Seat
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper aims at Fiber Reinforced Panel or FRP mold and panel manufacturing of body panel and driver seat for a Formula Society of Automotive Engineers or FSAE racecar. The competition involves designing a Formula 1 type car that lays the standards for a high performance-racing car . This calls for a high Power: Weight ratio. The rules of the competition ensure a mandatory use of an air restrictor with an engine of a maximum capacity of 600cc to reduce the power of the engines . Hence, to compensate for the loss of power the target now shifts to minimizing the car's weight without compromising the strength.
The body panel and driver's seat are two most valuable parts as the first adds elegance and aerodynamics to the car while the latter makes it comfortable for the driver to drive the car under high lateral load shifts. Weight reduction in this area is easier as strength is not the dominating factor. It is preferred because of its low cost, good strength, flexibility and elegance after finishing.
To make the fiberglass product of a particular shape, a mold of the same shape is needed. For a smooth outer surface of the product, as in the case of the car body panel, an inside-out or negative mold needs to be made. The mold can be constructed by many ways ranging from using chicken wires and clay to using the MDF (medium density fiberboard), to achieve more accuracy and a smoother surface to obtain a better product.
CitationRajamanickam, U., Singhal, A., and Jothi, M., "FRP Mold and Panel Manufacturing for FSAE Body Panel and Driver Seat," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0727, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0727.
- Gruner A. Organizing a Formula SAE® Team: Design, Construction and Preparation- Collegiate Design Competitions - SAE Student General http://students.sae.org/cds/formulaseries/fsae/reference/orgteam02.htm
- Singhal , Anshul , and Mallika Parveen Air Flow Optimization via a Venturi Type Air Restrictor Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering London 2013 1 3
- Slocum , J. T. MIT FSAE Racecar. Manufacturing MIT, Mechanical
- Winslow , D. 2000 Aerodynamics and Hydrodynamics of the Human Body, Birds, and Boeing W. C. Services, Ed. WordFeeder 10
- Reichhold, Inc 2400 FRP Material Selection Guide An Engineer's Guide to FRP Technology A Guide Ellis Road Durham, NC 27703
- Drake , Sam Dr. , and Smith John Mr. Formula SAE Final Design Report FSAE Complete Design Report, Mechanical University of Utah, SAE International 2007 95
- Boat Design Net. Boat Design Forums. Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. www.boatdesign.net/forums/search.php?searchid=3713218
- Soller , Jon Soller Composites http://www.sollercomposites.com/epoxyresinchoice.html
- Karnopp , D. 2003 Vehicle Stability New York Marcel Dekker, Inc.
- MATWEB Material Property Data. Database of Material Data Sheets www.matweb.com
- Norton , R. 2006 Machine design Upper Saddle River, NJ Pearson Prentice Hall
- Shigley , J. E. 2001 Mechanical Engineering Design VI New York Mc Graw-Hill
- Virginia Tech University Aerodynamics http://www.dept.aoe.vt.edu/∼cdhall/courses/aoe2104/Aerodynamics.pdf