This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Nondestructive Evaluation of Adhesively-Joined Aluminum Alloy Sheets Using an Ultrasonic Array
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Adhesive bonding technology has gained ever-increasing significance in automotive industry, especially with the growing use of aluminum (Al) alloy body structures. The variability in thicknesses of the metal and adhesive layers, as well as in joint geometry, of automotive components has presented challenges in nondestructive evaluation of adhesive joints. Though these challenges were recently overcome for steel-adhesive joints using an ultrasonic pulse-echo technique, the difference in acoustic impedances of steel and Al leads to a lack of robustness in utilizing the same algorithm for Al-adhesive joints. Here, we present the results from using a modified version of this technique to inspect Al-adhesive joints in both laboratory and production environments. A 15-MHz, 52-pixel, 10 mm × 10 mm matrix array of ultrasonic transducers was used to obtain ultrasonic pulse echoes from joint interfaces, analysis of which produced C-scan images of the adhesive bead. The instrument and technique were extensively tested in an automotive plant on the hem adhesive around an Al hood, a very challenging joint geometry. The adhesive bead width obtained ultrasonically matched the width measured after teardown within 1 mm with an accuracy of 94%.
|Technical Paper||The Corrosion Performance of Aluminum Automotive Body Panels in Service|
|Technical Paper||Friction Stir Spot Welding of a High Ductility Aluminum Alloy|
CitationGhaffari, B., Dekam, J., Haddix, K., Lazarz, K. et al., "Nondestructive Evaluation of Adhesively-Joined Aluminum Alloy Sheets Using an Ultrasonic Array," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0702, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0702.
- Adams , R. D. , and Drinkwater B. W. Nondestructive testing of adhesively-bonded joints NDT & E Int. 30 2 93 98 1997 10.1016/S0963-8695(96)00050-3
- Munns , I. J. , and Georgiou G. A. Nondestructive Testing for Adhesively Bonded Joints Inspection - A Review Insight 37 941 952 1995
- Ghaffari , B. , Lazarz , K. , Ondrus , D. , Maev , R. et al. A Matrix Array Technique for Evaluation of Adhesively Bonded Joints SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0475 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0475
- Maev , R. Gr. , Titov S. , Bogachenkov , A. , Ghaffari , B. et al. Ultrasonic Evaluation of Adhesive Coverage in Bonded Joints using a 2D Array Technique Materials Evaluation July 2013 71 7 875 882
- Maeva , E. Y. , Severina , I. , and Chapman , G. B. Ultrasonic analysis of the degree of cure and cohesive properties of the adhesive in a bond joint Research in Nondestructive Evaluation 18 2 2007 121 138 10.1080/09349840601128747