This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Si-DLC Coated Tappet for Improved Wear Resistance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Most bucket type valvetrain engines use DLC coated tappet for low friction and fuel efficiency. However the requirements on coating robustness have been increased as the tribological environments have become more severe by use of low viscosity oil or higher engine output. In order to obtain higher coating efficiency and improved wear resistance, 5∼9 at.% Si doped DLC (Si-DLC) coated tappet has been developed using PACVD process. Thermal stability and wear resistance of Si-DLC were improved impressively than those of DLC, although mechanical properties such as hardness and adhesion were degradated. It seems that Si suppresses a graphitization of DLC and thin SixOy film on coating surface acts as a barrier to oxidation or flash heat.
CitationAhn, J. and Choi, S., "Development of Si-DLC Coated Tappet for Improved Wear Resistance," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0685, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0685.
- Hauert R. An Overview on the Tribological Behavior of Diamond-like Carbon in Technical and Medical Applications Tribology Int. 37 11 991 1003 2004 10.1016/j.triboint.2004.07.017
- Mabuchi , Y. , Hamada , T. , Izumi , H. , Yasuda , Y. et al. The Development of Hydrogen-free DLC-coated Valve-lifter SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1752 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1752
- Mori , H. , Takahashi , N. , Kazuyuki , N. , Tachikawa , H. et al. Low Friction Property and its Mechanism of DLC-Si Films Under Dry Sliding Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1015 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1015
- Tallant D. R. , Parmeter J. E. , Siegal M. P. , and Simpson R. L. The Thermal Stability of Diamond-like Carbon Diamond and Related Materials 4 3 191 199 1995 10.1016/0925-9635(94)00243-6
- Tung Simon C. , and Gao Hong Tribological Characteristics and Surface Interaction between Piston ring Coatings and a Blend of Energy-Conserving Oils and Ethanol Fuels Wear 255 7 1276 1285 2003 10.1016/S0043-1648(03)00240-0
- Shinyoshi , T. , Fuwa , Y. , and Ozaki , Y. Wear Analysis of DLC Coating in Oil Containing Mo-DTC SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1969 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1969
- Bewilouga K. , and Dimigen H. Preparation of W-C:H coatings by Reactive Magnetron Sputtering Surface and Coatings Tech. 61 1 144 150 1993 10.1016/0257-8972(93)90217-C
- Grill A. Tribology of Diamond like Carbon and Related Materials : and updated review Surface and Coatings Tech. 94 507 513 1997 10.1016/S0257-8972(97)00458-1
- Robertson J. Properties of Diamon-like Carbon Surface and Coatings Tech. 50 3 185 203 1992 10.1016/0257-8972(92)90001-Q
- Robertson J. Diamond-like Carbon Materials Science and Engineering : R: Reports 37 4 129 281 2002 10.1016/S0927-796X(02)00005-0
- Varma A. , Palshin V. , and Meletis E. I. Structure-Property relationship of Si-DLC films Surface and Coatings Tech. 148 2 305 314 2001 10.1016/S0257-8972(01)01350-0
- Baba K. , Hatada R. , Flede S. , and Ensinger W. Deposition of Silicon-Containing Diamond-like Carbon films by Plasama-Enhanced Chemical Vapour Deposition Surface and Coatings Tech. 203 17 2747 2750 2009 10.1016/j.surfcoat.2009.02.117
- Rabbani F. Phenomenological Evidence for the Wear-induced Graphitization Model of Amorphous Hydrogeneted Carbon Coatings Surface and Coatings Tech. 184 2 194 207 2004 10.1016/j.surfcoat.2003.11.006