This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Design Optimization of Vehicle Interior Noise through Structural Modification and Constrained Layer Damping Treatment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The design optimization of vehicle body structure is addressed to reduce interior noise and improve customer satisfaction in this paper. The structural-acoustic model is developed by using finite element method. The frequency response of structural-acoustic system is computed by modal analysis method. The optimization problem is constructed to minimize the sound pressure level in the right ear of the driver. The sensitivity analysis is carried out to find the key panels to be optimized as design variables and improve the efficiency of optimization computation. Response Surface Method (RSM) is utilized to develop the surrogate model and optimize the vehicle Noise Vehicle and Harshness (NVH) behavior. A 9dB reduction of sound pressure level (SPL) in the right era of the driver is obtained through geometric optimization for panels. Furthermore, the topology optimization model is developed to search the optimal layout of constrained layer damping treatments in the front floor. The evolutionary structural optimization (ESO) method is used to solve the topology optimization problem. The results show that a combination of geometric optimization for panels and topology optimization for the layout of constrained damping treatments will give rise to a 15 dB reduction of sound pressure level in interior noise of vehicle. The proposed method provides an effective design tool and demonstrates potential applications in a real vehicle to obtain a lightweight vehicle body and improve NVH behavior.
|Technical Paper||Application of Soap Film Geometry for Low Noise Floor Panels|
|Technical Paper||Experimental Determination of Acoustic Cavity Resonances of Vehicle Sub-Systems|
CitationZheng, L., Fang, Z., Tang, Z., Zhan, Z. et al., "The Design Optimization of Vehicle Interior Noise through Structural Modification and Constrained Layer Damping Treatment," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0663, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0663.
- Stanef D.A. , Hansen C.H. , Morgans R.C. Active control analysis of mining vehicle cabin noise using finite element modeling Journal of Sound and Vibration 2004 277 277 297
- Misol M. , Algermissen S. , Monner H.P. Experimental investigation of different active noise control concepts applied to a passenger car equipped with an active windshield Journal of Sound and Vibration 2012 331 2209 2219
- Rao M. D. Recent applications of viscoelastic damping for noise control in automobiles and commercial airplanes Journal of Sound and Vibration 2003 262 457 474
- Subramanian , S. , Surampudi , R. , Thomson , K. , and Vallurupalli , S. Optimization of Damping Treatment for Structure Borne Noise Reduction SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1592 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1592
- Furukava M. , Policarpo H. A methodology for the performance evaluation of different surface damping treatments 4th International Conference on Integrity, Reliability and Failure 2013
- Liu Z.S. , Lu C. , Wang Y.Y. , Lee H.P. Prediction of noise inside tracked vehicles Applied Acoustics 2006 67 74 91
- Ma T.F. , Gao G. , Zhang Y.T. Acoustic-Structure coupled analysis of interior noise for heavy commercial vehicle IEEE Congress, International Conference on Computer and Information Application ICCIA 2010 366 369
- Desai D.A. , Balden V.H. Interior Noise Investigation of an Idealized Automotive Vehicle with Bolted Door Hinge Connections 2004 ABAQUS Users' Conference 225 239
- Jee S.H. , Yi J.C. The Application of the Simulation Techniques to Reduce the Noise and Vibration in Vehicle Development FISITA World Automotive Congress June 12 15 Seoul Korea 2000
- Shahram A. , Mohammad A. , and Farshad Z. NVH analysis and improvement of a vehicle body structure using DOE method Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 2009 23 2980 2989
- Martowicz A. , Kurowski , P. , and Uhl T. An application of response surface method to design optimization of a model of rail vehicle considering uncertainties Mechanical and Control 2011 30 2 85 95
- Zheng L. , Zhu Q.F. Topology optimization for acoustic radiation of a constrained damping plate Journal of Vibration and Shock 2014 33 5 91 96