This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Artificial Road Load Generation Using Artificial Neural Networks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This research proposes the use of Artificial Neural Networks (ANN) to predict the road input for road load data generation for variants of a vehicle as vehicle parameters are modified. This is important to the design engineers while the vehicle variant is still in the initial stages of development, hence no prototypes are available and accurate proving ground data acquisition is not possible. ANNs are, with adequate training, capable of representing the complex relationships between inputs and outputs. This research explores the implementation of the ANN to predict road input for vehicle variants using a quarter vehicle test rig. The training and testing data for this research are collected from a validated quarter vehicle model.
CitationOgunoiki, A. and Olatunbosun, O., "Artificial Road Load Generation Using Artificial Neural Networks," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0639, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0639.
- Bäcker, M., Langthaler, T., Olbrich, M., and Oppermann, H., “The Hybrid Road Approach for Durability Loads Prediction,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0628, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0628.
- Roy, N. and Villaire, M., “Virtual Road Load Data Acquisition using Full Vehicle Simulations,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1189, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1189.
- Balakrishnan, S., PP, A., Kharul, R., and C, S., “Accurate Estimation of Time Histories for Improved Durability Prediction Using Artificial Neural Networks,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0023, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0023.
- Lolas, S. and Olatunbosun O.A., Prediction of vehicle reliability performance using artificial neural networks. Expert Systems with Applications, 2008. 34(4): p. 2360-2369. DOI: 10.1016/j.eswa.2007.03.014.
- Yang, X.-W., et al., Prediction of mechanical properties of A357 alloy using artificial neural network. Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, 2013. 23(3): p. 788-795. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1003-6326(13)62530-3.
- Asha Ramgulam, T.E., and Flemings Peter B., Pennsylvania State U. An Artificial Neural Network Utility for the Optimization of History Matching Process. in Latin American & Caribbean Petroleum Engineering Conference. 2007. Buenos Aires, Argentina: Society of Petroleum Engineers DOI:10.2118/107468-MS.
- Ogunoiki, A. and Olatunbosun, O., “Characterisation of the Effects of Vehicle Parameter Variations on Vehicle Road Load Data,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0634, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0634.
- Hagan, M.T., Demuth H.B., and Beale M.H., Neural network design. 1st ed. 1996, Boston: PWS Pub.
- Beale, M.H., Hagan M.T., and Demuth H.B., Neural Network Toolbox™ User's Guide. R2014a ed. 1992 - 2014.