This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterisation of the Effects of Vehicle Parameter Variations on Vehicle Road Load Data
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a statistical characterisation of the effects of variations in vehicle parameters on vehicle road load data using a quarter vehicle as a case study.
A model of a quarter vehicle test rig constructed from a commercial SUV is created in a multi-body dynamics (MBD) simulation environment to reproduce the real-life behaviour of the SUV. The model is thereafter validated by correlating the response data collected from both the model and laboratory test rig to the same road input. In order to ensure that only the effects of the variation of the vehicle parameters are captured, a time domain drive signal for a kerb strike road event on the physical vehicle is generated from the proving ground data collected during durability testing of the vehicle. The variants of the quarter vehicle are excited by the generated drive file and the effects of the parameter variations are characterised in terms of peaks, root mean square values and ranges of the sprung and unsprung acceleration as well as the forces in the suspension components.
CitationOgunoiki, A. and Olatunbosun, O., "Characterisation of the Effects of Vehicle Parameter Variations on Vehicle Road Load Data," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0634, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0634.
- Rui , Y. , Saleem , F. , and Zhou , J. Road Load Simulation Using Effective Road Profile SAE Technical Paper 971512 1997 10.4271/971512
- Roy , N. and Villaire , M. Virtual Road Load Data Acquisition using Full Vehicle Simulations SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1189 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1189
- Bäcker , M. , Langthaler , T. , Olbrich , M. , and Oppermann , H. The Hybrid Road Approach for Durability Loads Prediction SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0628 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0628
- Reddy , C. , Satheesh , K. , Yang , X. , Sudhakar , M. et al. Analysis of Road Load Data to Extract Statistical Trends in Spindle Loads for Vehicles with Variants SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0859 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0859
- Socie , D. and Park K. Analytical Description of Service Loading Suitable for Fatigue Analysis 1997
- Gipser , M. FTire: a physically based application-oriented tyre model for use with detailed MBS and finite-element suspension models Vehicle System Dynamics 2005 43 sup1 76 91 10.1080/00423110500139940
- CaTs 3 , QanTiM User Manual 2004
- Raath , A.D. A new time domain parametric dynamic system identification approach to multiaxial service load simulation testing in components International Journal of Fatigue 1997 19 5 409 414 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0142-1123(96)00058-8