This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measure of Forming Limit Strain on the Aluminum Sheets Passed Through Draw-Bead by Digital Image Correlation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Accurate determination of the forming limit strain of aluminum sheet metal is an important topic which has not been fully solved by industry. Also, the effects of draw beads (enhanced forming limit behaviors), normally reported on steel sheet metals, on aluminum sheet metal is not fully understood. This paper introduces an experimental study on draw bead effects on aluminum sheet metals by measuring the forming limit strain zero (FLD0) of the sheet metal. Two kinds of aluminum, AL 6016-T4 and AL 5754-0, are used. Virgin material, 40% draw bead material and 60% draw bead material conditions are tested for each kind of aluminum. Marciniak punch tests were performed to create a plane strain condition. A dual camera Digital Image Correlation (DIC) system was used to record and measure the deformation distribution history during the punch test. The on-set necking timing is determined directly from surface shape change. The FLD0 of each test situation is reported in this article. From the results of this study, the draw bead effects (enhanced forming limit behaviors) are found in both aluminums tested. Basic theory, experiment plan, experimental setup, test results and data analysis are shown in detail in this paper.
- Xiaona Li - Oakland University
- Changqing Du - FCA US LLC
- Yongjun Zhou - FCA US LLC
- Xin Xie - Oakland University
- Xu Chen - Oakland University
- Yaqian Zheng - Oakland University
- Thomas Ankofski - Oakland University
- Rodrigue Narainen - Oakland University
- Cedric Xia - Ford Motor Co
- Thomas Stoughton - General Motors Co
- Lianxiang Yang - Oakland University
CitationLi, X., Du, C., Zhou, Y., Xie, X. et al., "Measure of Forming Limit Strain on the Aluminum Sheets Passed Through Draw-Bead by Digital Image Correlation," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0598, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0598.
- Kumar, Jata, Lee, Eui Whee, Frazier William, and Kim Nack J., eds. Lightweight Alloys for Aerospace Applications. John Wiley & Sons, 2013.
- Sun, H. T., Wang J., Shen G. Z., and Hu P.. “Application of warm forming aluminum alloy parts for automotive body based on impact.” International Journal of Automotive Technology 14, No. 4 (2013): 605-610.
- Ohhama, S., Hata, T., Yahaba, T., Kobayashi, T. et al., “Application of an FSW Continuous Welding Technology for Steel and Aluminum to an Automotive Subframe,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0372, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0372.
- Murat Dilmec, Selcuk Halkaci H., Ozturk Fahrettin, Livatyali Haydar, and Yigit Osman. “Effects of sheet thickness and anisotropy on forming limit curves of AA2024-T4.” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 67, No. 9-12(2013): 2689-2700.
- Hosford, William F., and Duncan John L.. “Sheet metal forming: a review.” JOM 51, No. 11 (1999): 39-44.
- Ahmadi, S., Eivani A. R., and Akbarzadeh A.. “Experimental and analytical studies on the prediction of forming limit diagrams.” Computational Materials Science 44, No. 4 (2009): 1252-1257.
- Stoughton, Thomas B., and Yoon Jeong Whan. “Sheet metal formability analysis for anisotropic materials under non-proportional loading.” International journal of mechanical sciences, 47, No. 12 (2005): 1972-2002.
- Sklad, M. P., Atzema E. H., Schouten F. J., de Bruine M., and Emrich A.. “Experimental Study of forming limits in multistage deformation processes.” In Best in Class Stamping-Proceedings of the IDDRG 2008 Int. Conference, pp. 721-732. 2008.
- Merklein, M., Kuppert A., and Geiger M.. “Time dependent determination of forming limit diagrams.” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, 59, No. 1 (2010): 295-298.
- International Standard ISO 12004-2 “Metallic Materials- Guidelines For The Determination Of Forming-Limit Diagrams”
- Chen, X., Xie, X., Sun, J., and Yang, L., “Full Field Strain Measurement of Punch-stretch Tests Using Digital Image Correlation,” SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf 5(2):345-351, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0183.
- Chen, X., Xu, N., Xie, X., Smith, L. et al., “Forming Limit Measurement Using a Multi-Sensor Digital Image Correlation System,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1423, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1423.
- Zhu L.Q., Wang Y.H., Xu N., Wu S.J., Dong M.L., and Yang L.X., “Real-time Monitoring of Phase Maps of Digital Shearography,” Optical Engineering, Vol. 52 (10), 2013, 101902.
- Yang L.X., Xie X., Zhu L.Q., Wu S.J., Wang Y.H., “Review of Electronic Speckle Pattern Interferometry (ESPI) for Three Dimensional Displacement Measurement,” Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering (English version), Vol. 27, No. 1, 2014, p. 1-13.
- Xin Xie, Yang Lianxiang, Xu Nan, and Chen Xu. “Michelson interferometer based spatial phase shift shearography.” Appl. Opt., Vol. 52, Issue 17, (2013)4063-4071.
- Xie, X., Zheng, Y., Li, X., Sia, B. et al., “Spatial Phase-Shift Digital Shearography for Out-of-Plane Deformation Measurement,” SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 7(2):402-405, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0824.
- KEELER, SP. “The Auto/Steel Partnership Enhanced Forming Limit Diagram Project Team.” (2003).