Measurement of Aluminum Edge Stretching Limit Using 3D Digital Image Correlation
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation of this paper is available
This paper introduces an industrial application of digital image correlation technique on the measurement of aluminum edge stretching limit. In this study, notch-shape aluminum coupons with three different pre-strain conditions are tested. The edge stretching is proceeded by standard MTS machine. A dual-camera 3D Digital Image Correlation (DIC) system is used for the full field measurement of strain distribution in the thickness direction. Selected air brush is utilized to form a random distributed speckle pattern on the edge of sheet metal. A pair of special optical lens systems are used to observe the small measurement edge area. From the test results, it demonstrate that refer to the notched coupon thickness, pre-tension does not affect the fracture limit; refer to the virgin sheet thickness, the average edge stretch thinning limits show a consistent increasing trend as the pre-stretch strain increased. Test plan, experimental setup, and experimental results are shown in detail in this article.
- Xin Xie - Oakland University
- Changqing Du - FCA US LLC
- Xiaona Li - Oakland University
- Yi-Hsin Chen - Oakland University
- Guobiao Yang - Oakland University
- Yongjun Zhou - FCA US LLC
- Dajun Zhou - FCA US LLC
- Yaqian Zheng - Oakland University
- Bernard Sia - Oakland University
- Christina Phillips - Oakland University
- Lianxiang Yang - Oakland University
CitationXie, X., Du, C., Li, X., Chen, Y. et al., "Measurement of Aluminum Edge Stretching Limit Using 3D Digital Image Correlation," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0594, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0594.
- Inn, Yong Woo, Wissbrun Kurt F., and Denn Morton M.. “Effect of edge fracture on constant torque rheometry of entangled polymer solutions.” Macromolecules 38, no. 22 (2005): 9385-9388.
- Keentok, Matti, and Xue Shi-Cheng. “Edge fracture in cone-plate and parallel plate flows.” Rheologica acta 38, no. 4 (1999): 321-348.
- Gogotsi, George A., and Mudrik Sergey P.. “Fracture barrier estimation by the edge fracture test method.” Ceramics international 35, no. 5 (2009): 1871-1875.
- Scieszka, S. F. “Edge failure as a means of concurrently estimating the abrasion and edge fracture resistance of hard-metals.” Tribology international 38, no. 9 (2005): 834-842.
- Chen, Fanxiu, Chen Xu, Xie Xin, Feng Xiu, and Yang Lianxiang. “Full-field 3D measurement using multi-camera digital image correlation system”, Optics and Lasers in Engineering, 51(9), (2013)1044-1052.
- Xu Chen, Yang Lianxiang, Xu Nan, Xie Xin, Sia Bernard, and Xu Roger. “Cluster approach based multi-camera digital image correlation: Methodology and its application in large area high temperature measurement.” Optics & Laser Technology 57 (2014): 318-326.
- Lianxiang Yang, Xie Xin, Zhu Lianqing, Wu Sijin, and Wang Yonghong. “Review of electronic speckle pattern interferometry (ESPI) for three dimensional displacement measurement.” Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering 27, no. 1 (2014): 1-13.
- Lianqing Zhu, Wang Yonghong, Xu Nan, Wu Sijin, Dong Mingli, and Yang Lianxiang. “Real-time monitoring of phase maps of digital shearography.” Optical Engineering 52, no. 10 (2013): 101902-101902.
- Xu, N., Xie, X., Harmon, G., Gu, R. et al., “Quality Inspection of Spot Welds using Digital Shearography,” SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 5(1):96-101, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0182.
- Xin Xie, Yang Lianxiang, Xu Nan, and Chen Xu. “Michelson interferometer based spatial phase shift shearography.” Appl. Opt., Vol. 52, Issue 17, (2013)4063-4071.
- Chen, X., Xie, X., Sun, J., and Yang, L., “Full Field Strain Measurement of Punch-stretch Tests Using Digital Image Correlation,” SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 5(2):345-351, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0183.