This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Flexible Hardware-in-the-Loop Testing System for Hybrid Powertrain
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Ever increasing requirements for vehicle performance, fuel economy and emissions have been driving the development and adoption of various types of hybrid powertrains. There are many different configurations of hybrid powertrains, which may include such components as engine, generator and inverter, battery pack, ultracapacitor, traction motor and inverter, transmission, and various control units. A hardware-in-the loop (HiL) testing solution that is flexible enough to accommodate different types of hybrid powertrain configurations and run a range of test scenarios is needed to support on-going development activities in this field.
This paper describes the design and implementation of such a HiL testing system. The system is centered on a high performance, real-time controller that runs powertrain, driveline, vehicle, and driver models. Multiple dynamometers are included in the platform which can be used to load the powertrain and emulate the dynamic effects of vehicle and driveline components not physically present in the setup. A drive unit is integrated in the system. Based on different testing scenarios, this unit could be used to simulate the battery pack or other sources of energy, manipulate the power flow in the hybrid powertrain and emulate the effects of engine/generator, vehicle accessory loads, or different efficiency profiles of traction motors. By combining necessary simulations and controls, the system can be structured to test various hybrid powertrain configurations, for as few or as many of the powertrain components as needed, and to implement different testing scenarios. A typical application shows that the system could be a powerful tool for various hybrid powertrain development needs.
CitationJiang, S., Medonza, D., and Kitchen, J., "A Flexible Hardware-in-the-Loop Testing System for Hybrid Powertrain," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0586, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0586.
- Emadi , A. , Rajashekara , K. , Williamson , S. , and Lukic , S. , Topological Overview of Hybrid Electric and Fuel Cell Vehicular Power System Architectures and Configurations IEEE Transactions On Vehicle Technology 54 3 May 2005 763 770
- Raman , S. , Sivashankar , N. , Milam , W. , and Stuart , W. , et al. Design and Implementation of HIL Simulators for Powertrain Control System Software Development Proceedings of the American Control Conference San Diego, California June 1999 709 713
- Isermann , R. , Schaffnit , J. , Sinsel , S. , Hardware-in-the-loop Simulation for the Design and Testing of Engine-control Systems Control Engineering Practice 7 1999 643 653
- Dhaliwal , A. , Nagaraj , S. , and Ali , S. , Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation for Hybrid Electric Vehicles - An Overview, Lessons Learned and Solutions Implemented, SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0735 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0735
- Ramaswamy , D. , McGee , R. , Sivashankar , S. , Deshpande , A. et al. A Case Study in Hardware-In-the-Loop Testing: Development of an ECU for a Hybrid Electric Vehicle, SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0303 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0303
- Jiang , S. , Smith , M. , Kitchen , J. , and Ogawa , A. , Development of an Engine-in-the-loop Vehicle Simulation System in Engine Dynamometer Test Cell, SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1039 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1039
- Ahlawat , R. , Jiang , S. , Medonza , D. , Smith , M.H. , On emulating engine and vehicle transient loads for transmission-in-the-loop experiments Mechatronics 22 2012 989 996
- Jeschke , S. , Hirsch , H. , Koppers , M. , and Schramm , D. , HiL Simulation of electric vehicles in different usage scenarios IEEE International Electric Vehicle Conference (IEVC) 4 8 March 2012
- Wagener , A. , Schulte , T. , Waeltermann , P. , and Schuette , H. , Hardware-in-the-Loop Test Systems for Electric Motors in Advanced Powertrain Applications, SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0498 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0498
- Schupbach , R. and Balda , J. , A Versatile Laboratory Test Bench for Developing Powertrains of Electric Vehicles IEEE 56th Vehicular Technology Conference 2002 3 1666 1670
- Timmermans , J. , Mierlo , J. , Lataire , P. , Mulders , F. , et al. Test Platform for Hybrid Electric Power Systems: Development of a HIL Test platform 2007 European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications 2 5 Sept. 2007