This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Holistic Approach for Improved Safety Including a Proposal of New Virtual Test Conditions of Small Electric Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the next 20 years the share of small electric vehicles (SEVs) will increase especially in urban areas. SEVs show distinctive design differences compared to traditional vehicles. Thus the consequences of impacts of SEVs with vulnerable road users (VRUs) and other vehicles will be different from traditional collisions. No assessment concerning vehicle safety is defined for vehicles within European L7e category currently. Focus of the elaborated methodology is to define appropriate test scenarios for this vehicle category to be used within a virtual tool chain.
A virtual tool chain has to be defined for the realization of a guideline of virtual certification. The derivation and development of new test conditions for SEVs are described and are the main focus of this work. As key methodology a prospective methodical analysis under consideration of future aspects like pre-crash safety systems is applied.
The studies show that certain collision types will be reduced in numbers and in average collision severity. Based on the evaluation following tests are proposed. Frontal: oblique (30°), test speed 35 km/h, 1,300kg Mobile Progressive Deformable Barrier (MPDB); Side: 90°, Advanced European Mobile Deformable Barrier (AE-MDB), barrier speed 40 km/h; Pedestrian safety: seven pedestrian impact locations, 2 speed ranges, four different percentiles.
The proposed virtual testing procedure has to be based on well validated models and tools, which can be assumed to be available in the future. The focus of the presented work is on SEVs in L7e category, for which no specific, urban area relevant safety regulations are available.
Overall occupant and VRU safety of future SEVs will increase significantly, if additionally to the standard crash tests the elaborated tests from the European Union (EU) initiative SafeEV are applied for the design of safety measures within L7e vehicle class.
|Technical Paper||Damped Accelerometers and Their Use in Vehicle Crash Testing|
|Technical Paper||Simplifying the Structural Design of the Advanced Pedestrian Legform Impactor for Use in Standardized Testing|
- Andreas Teibinger - Virtual Vehicle Research Center
- Christian Mayer - Daimler AG
- Ernö Dux - Institut für Kraftfahrzeuge-RWTH Aachen
- Gian Antonio D’Addetta - Robert Bosch GmbH
- Peter Luttenberger - Graz University of Technology
- Jac Wismans - Chalmers University of Technology
- Rémy Willinger - Université de Strasbourg
CitationTeibinger, A., Mayer, C., Dux, E., D’Addetta, G. et al., "Holistic Approach for Improved Safety Including a Proposal of New Virtual Test Conditions of Small Electric Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0571, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0571.
- Roland Berger Strategy Consultants Automotive landscape 2025, http://www.rolandberger.com/media/pdf/Roland_Berger_Automotive_Landscape_2025_20110228.pdf Feb. 2011
- auto motor und sport VW Nils Stadtauto auf der IAA, http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/eco/vw-nils-stadtauto-auf-der-iaa-elektro-einsitzer-fuer-pendler-3989378.html Sep. 2011
- WorldCarFans Fiat Mio FCC III Concept unveiled at Sao Paulo Motor Show, http://www.worldcarfans.com/110102729225/fiat-mio-fcc-iii-concept-unveiled-at-sao-paulo-motor-show Oct. 2010
- Official Journal of the European Union Framework for the approval of motor vehicles and their trailers, and of systems, components and separate technical units intended for such vehicles DIRECTIVE 2007/46/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL Sep. 2007
- Official Journal of the European Union The approval and market surveillance of two- or three-wheel vehicles and quadricycles Regulation (EU) No 168/2013 Jan. 2013
- WorldCarFans Renault Twizy production version revealed in Paris, http://www.worldcarfans.com/110100128769/renault-twizy-production-version-revealed-in-paris Oct. 2010
- United Nations Consolidated Resolution on the Construction of Vehicles ECE/TRANS/WP.29/78/Rev.3 Jan. 2014
- van Hoof , J. , Oakley , C. , Baldauf , H , and Puppini , R. Extended occupant safety through virtual testing: objectives of the European project VITES Crashworthiness, Occupant Protection and Biomechanics in Transportation Systems 149 158 New York 978-0791835814 2001
- van Schijndel-de Nooij , M. , Wismans , J. , Edwards , M. , Gugler J. et al. APROSYS Final Report APROSYS consortium Eindhoven 2012
- IMVITER Implementation of Virtual Testing in safety Regulations, http://www.imviter.com/ August 2014
- Tomasch , E. , Luttenberger , P. , and Willinger , R. Methodical analysis on future accident scenarios involving SEVs Grazer Safety Update Austria September 16-17 2013
- Seeger , T. Die Delphi-Methode.,” Hochschulverlag Freiburg i. Br. 3-8107-2024-0 1979
- Armstrong , J.S Principles of Forecasting, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania Pennsylvania 978-0-7923-7401-5 125 144 2001
- Strandroth , J. A Method to Identify Future Potential of Vehicle Safety Technology Thesis for the degree of Licentiate in Machine and Vehicle systems Chalmers University of Technology Gothenburg 2012
- TU München Verbundprojekt Visio.M, http://www.visiom-automobile.de/ August 2014
- Statistics Austria The Information Manager, http://www.statistik.at/web_en/ Aug. 2014
- Thomas , P. Deliverable 5.5 - Glossary of Data Variables for Fatal and accident causation databases SatefyNet consortium Loughborough 2008
- Luttenberger , P. , Tomasch , E. , Willinger , R. , Bourdet , N. et al. SafeEV D1.1 - Methodical analysis on future accident scenarios involving SEVs SafeEV consortium Graz 2013
- Luttenberger , P. , Tomasch , E. , Sinz , W. , Willinger , R. et al. Method for future pedestrian accident scenario prediction Transport Research Arena 2014 France April 14-17 2014
- Bourdet , N. , Luttenberger , P. , Teibinger , A. , Mayer , C. , and Willinger , R. Pedestrian and bicyclists head impact conditions against small electric vehicle IRCOBI Conference Germany September 10-12 2014
- Maki , T. , Kajzer , J. , Mizuno , K. , and Sekine Y. Comparative analysis of vehicle-bicyclist and vehicle-pedestrian accidents in Japan Accident Analysis & Prevention 35 6 927 940 2003 10.1016/S0001-4575(02)00101-X
- Van Schijndel , M. , deHair , S. , Rodarius C. , and Frederiksson , R. Cyclist kinematics in car impacts reconstructed in simulations and full-scale testing with Polar dummy IRCOBI Conference Irleland September 12-14 2012
- Wismans , J. , Davidsson , J. , Carlsson , A. , Mayer , C. et al. SafeEV D2 - Report on test conditions and evaluation criteria for occupant and vulnerable road user protection of small electric vehicles SafeEV consortium Graz 2013
- European Commission Special regulations for pedestrians and cyclists, http://ec.europa.eu/ Aug. 2013
- Uittenbogaard , J. , and Versmissen , T. FIMCAR D4.1-Test Protocol-Mobile progressive deformable barrier FIMCAR consortium Berlin 2011
- Egertz , D. Novel Safety Requirements and Crash Test for Light-Weight Urban Vehicles master thesis, Lightweight Structures KTH Royal Institute of Technology Stockholm 2011
- Comer , S. The case for 30 km/h zones and more walkable communities Community Road Safety Action & Information Network Sep. 2010
- Grundy , C. , Steinbach , R. , Edwards , P. , Wilkinson , P. , and Green , J. 20 mph zones and Road Safety in London A report to the London Road Safety Unit, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine 2008
- Kang , H. , Willinger , R. , Diaw , B. , and Chinn , B. Validation of a 3D Anatomic Human Head Model and Replication of Head Impact in Motorcycle Accident by Finite Element Modeling SAE Technical Paper 973339 1997 10.4271/973339
- Deck , C. , Willinger , R. Improved Head Injury Criteria Based on Head FE Model International Journal of Crashworthiness 13 6 667 678 2008 10.1080/13588260802411523