This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Technique for Cargo Box Tailgate CAE Fatigue Life Predictions Loaded with Inertial Forces and Moments
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a CAE fatigue life prediction technique for a tailgate on pickup truck cargo box with inertial forces and moments applied at mass center of the tailgate as input loads. The inertial forces and moments are calculated from the accelerations measured at the corners of the tailgate as the truck is being driven over a durability schedule at the test proving grounds. All the dynamic responses of the tailgate on cargo box, including any dynamic interactions at the pivot joints between the tailgate and box sides, are captured in the acquired data and also in the inertial forces and moments computed at the mass center. Correspondingly, all the dynamic responses are included in the CAE fatigue life predictions. The dynamic interactions at the pivot joints are simulated by using two identical CAE models, one with lateral translational constraint applied at the left pivot only and the other at the right pivot only. The final fatigue damages of the tailgate are the average damages from the two models.
With this technique, the CAE fatigue life predictions correlated to test results well in both low fatigue life locations and magnitudes.
CitationGuo, M., Zhang, W., Zhang, D., and Bhandarkar, R., "A Technique for Cargo Box Tailgate CAE Fatigue Life Predictions Loaded with Inertial Forces and Moments," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0532, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0532.
- Lee Y. & Guo M. Pseudo Stress Analysis Techniques Lee Y. , Barkey E. M. & Kang H. Metal Fatigue Analysis Handbook, Practical Problem-Solving Techniques for Computer-Aided Engineering Elsevier Butterworth-Heinemann 2011
- Guo , M. , Quan , K. , Bhosale , S. , Wang , C. et al. Techniques for Contact Considerations in Fatigue Life Estimations of Automotive Structures SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1201 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1201
- Chen , G. , Guo , M. , and Zhang , W. Fatigue Based Lightweight Optimization of a Pickup Cargo Box with Advanced High Strength Steels SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 7 3 545 552 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0913
- Lin , B. A New Method of d'Alembert's Principle Finite Element Based Fatigue Calculation with Input of Loads and Accelerations SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1003 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1003
- Zhang , W. , Guo , M. & Srikantan , S. Rainflow Counting Based Block Cycle Development for Fatigue Analysis using Nonlinear Stress Approach SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 6 2 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1206
- Design Life Online Manual Design Life User Guide 6.0 HBM 2010
- Huston Ronald L. Multibody Dynamics Butterworth-Heinemann 1990
- Matlab Help Manual The Mathworks Inc. 2007
- Lee , Y. , Pan , J. , Hathaway , R. , & Barkey , M. Fatigue Testing and Analysis: Theory and Practice Boston Elsevier/Butterworth-Heinemann 2005