This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of MAC Side Window Demister Outlet by Parametric Modelling through DFSS Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In recent years clearing the mist on side windows is one of the main criterions for all OEMs for providing comfort level to the person while driving. Visibility through the side windows will be poor when the mist is not cleared to the desired level. “Windows fog up excessively/don't clear quickly” is one of the JD Power question to assess the customer satisfaction related to HVAC performance. In a Mobile Air Conditioning System, HVAC demister duct and outlet plays an important role for removing the mist formation on vehicle side window. Normally demister duct and outlet design is evaluated by the target airflow and velocity achieved at driver and passenger side window. The methodology for optimizing the demister outlet located at side door trim has been discussed. Detailed studies are carried out for creating a parametric modeling and optimization of demister outlet design for meeting the target velocity. In this methodology, a parametric modeling of demister outlet design using the factors such as length, width, vane angles and demister outlet to window angle is created using CATIA. Design for six sigma methodologies is followed for robust optimization and arrive at the combination of appropriate design factors which influences the velocity at side windows. L18 orthogonal design array matrix has been created and flow simulations are carried out using the commercial CFD software STAR CCM+. The impacts of each design factors and levels on the side window velocity have been analyzed extensively and best combination of design factors have been found out. Parametric modelling of demister outlet significantly aids in reducing the manual design time for simulation by 50% and DFSS approach helps in finding out the optimized design factors of demist outlet during the design phase of new programs.
|Technical Paper||Side Window Buffeting Characteristics of an SUV|
|Technical Paper||Analysis and Optimization of a Window Latch Effort Problem|
|Technical Paper||On Simulating Passenger Car Side Window Buffeting|
CitationBalashunmuganathan, V., Nukala, R., Sampath Kumar, S., and Govindarajalu, M., "Optimization of MAC Side Window Demister Outlet by Parametric Modelling through DFSS Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0363, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0363.
- Sathsh Kumar , S. , Natarajan , S. , and Rinaldi , M. Studies on AC Suction Line Pressure Drop using 1D Modeling SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1503 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1503
- Farag , A. and Huang , L. CFD Analysis and Validation of Automotive Windshield De-Icing Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1079 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1079
- STAR CCM 7.08 Help documents
- Hill , W. and Sringari , S. A Parametric Approach for Rapid Design and Analysis of Automotive HVAC Defrost Systems SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0584 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0584
- CATIA V5 User manual
- AbdulNour , B. CFD Prediction of Automotive Windshield Defrost Pattern SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1203 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1203
- Aroussi , A. , Hassan , A. , Clayton , B. , and AbdulNour , B. An Assessment of Vehicle Side-Window Defrosting and Demisting Process SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0289 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0289
- Kohnotou , T. , Iwamoto , Y. , Hoshiawa , K. , and Nagataki , M. Optimum Design of Defroster Nozzle SAE Technical Paper 920167 1992 10.4271/920167
- Cole , J. , Passmore , M. , and Rice , E. The Effects of Outlet Geometry on Automotive Demister Performance SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1277 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1277
- Aroussi , A. , Hassan , A. , Clayton , B. , AbdulNour , B. et al. Improving Vehicle Windshield Defrosting and Demisting SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1278 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1278
- Skea , A. , Harrison , R. , Baxendale , A. , and Fletcher , D. Comparison of CFD Simulation Methods and Thermal Imaging with Windscreen Defrost Pattern SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1720 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1720
- Aroussi , A. , Hassan , A. , and AbdulNour , B. Effects of Vehicle Windshield Defrosting and Demisting Process on Passenger Comfort SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1729 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1729