This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Microorganism Causing Odor in an Air-Conditioning System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study has been conducted to analyze microbial diversity and its community by using a method of NGS(Next generation sequencing) technique that is not rely on cultivation for microbial community in an core evaporator causing odor of car air conditioner. The NGS without any cultivation method of cultivation, has been developed recently and widely. This method is able to research a microorganism that has not been cultivated. Differently with others, it can get a result that is closer to fact, also can acquire more base sequence with larger volume in relatively shorter time.
According to bacteria population analysis of 23 samples, It can be known limited number of bacteria can inhabit in Evaporator core, due to small exposure between bacteria and evaporate, as well as its environmental characteristics. With the population analysis, only certain group of it is forming biofilm in proportion.
CitationKim, J. and Lee, T., "Analysis of Microorganism Causing Odor in an Air-Conditioning System," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0354, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0354.
- Rodes , C. , Sheldon , L. , Whitaker , D. , Clayton , A. , Fitzgerald , K. Measuring concentrations of selected air pollutants inside California vehicles. Final report California Environmental protection Agency, Technical report 1999 95 339
- Jo W K , Park K H Concentrations of volatile organic compounds in the passengers side and the back seat of auto-mobiles Journal of Exposure Analysis and environmental Epidemilology 9 3 217 227
- Faber , J. Brodzik , K. et al. benzene, toluene and xylenes levels in new and used vehicles of the same model Journal of environmental sciences 2013 25 11 2324 2330
- Liu B , Pop M MetaPath: identifying differentially abundant metabolic pathways in metagenomic datasets BMC Proc. 2011 5 Suppl 2 S9 May 28 2011 10.1186/1753-6561-5-S2-S9
- Kim Kyung Hwan , Kim Sun Hwa , Jung Young Rim , Kim Man goo , Kim Jae Ho , Park Ha Young , Lee Jun Kang , Jee Young Jun , Kim Ki Hong A Study on odor evaluation of automobile air conditioner evaporator by using lab-scale test bench KSAE, autumn paper 2006 1 685 691
- Kawakubo , M. , Kasebe , O. , Uchiyama , K. , Kobayashi , K. et al. Reduction of Odor Adhesion to Evaporator SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0214 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0214
- Simmons Robert B. , Rose Laura J. , Crow Sidney A. , Ahearn Donald G. The Occurrence and Persistence of Mixed Biofilms in Automobile Air Conditioning Systems Current Microbiology 01 1999 39 3 141 145 10.1007/s002849900435
- Lee Tae Hee , Mok SeungHo , Kim YoonSung , Song SiYong , Jung YoungMi The study on odor mechanism of car air condition system Hyundai Motors R&D Paper. DU-2010-044 2010
- Venter , J.C. et.al. 2004 Environmental Genome Shotgun Sequencing of the Sargasso Sea Science 304 66 74
- Eller Gundula and Frenzel Peter 2001 Changes in activity and community structure of methane-oxidizing bacteria over the growth period of rice Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 67 2395 2403
- Kelley Scott T. , Theisen Ulrike , Angenent Largus T. , Amand Allison St. , and Pace Norman R. Molecular analysis of shower curtain biofilm microbes Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 70 4187 4192 2004