This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cabin Thermal Comfort Simulation of Truck Based on CFD
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
It is known that the automobile cabin thermal comfort, could keep the driver and passengers feel better which has a great effect on traffic safety. In this paper, to the FAW truck cab, we did some researches about automobile cabin thermal comfort. Our plan is to calculate the air flow distribution and the temperature in steady and transient state when there is warm or cool air flow. The heating and cooling experiment methods standard of cabin are based on the national standard and the automobile industry standard of China. Then the numerical simulation process becomes very important. So we used the commercial CFD code- STAR-CCM+ for study in this paper. Firstly, Geometry Clean up. Secondly, Wrap and Remesh, we chose the internal surface at the wrap surface of cabin and air conditioning pipes, then we remesh the surface. Thirdly, generate the volume mesh which is polyhedral mesh, and the number of the volume mesh is 9.4 millions. The boundary layer of the cab and pipes are so different that we should redefine the boundary layer. Fourthly, Calculation, in the process of the numerical simulation, we calculated the pipes separately at first, and counted the flow rate of every air outlet. Then we put the pipes and the cabin together for calculating and simulate the flow. Compared the later air flow rate with the former one, we can identify if it is necessary to calculate the pipes separately. The thermal Comfort Wizard includes: crew attribute definitions, thermal calculation solver advanced settings and thermal calculation boundary condition settings. Here the occupant height is 1.75 m, the clothing thermal resistance is 0.05 K m2/W. We don't take the cabin body leakage into account in this paper. Finally, it is the analysis of the thermal comfort at cooling condition. We improved the shape of streamline pipes, added the cooling air of the driver, and made the flow surround the foot of guest. By analyzing the flow rate and the temperature data at each measuring position, we can get the air outlet flow field at the middle of the dash board, which near the driver, effected the temperature around the driver most, so we should take some measures to improve that condition.
CitationZhang, Y., Meng, W., Chen, T., Hao, Y. et al., "Cabin Thermal Comfort Simulation of Truck Based on CFD," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0344, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0344.
- Siqueira , C. , Jokuszies , M. , Lima , M. , and Vatavuk , P. Numerical Simulation of Cabin Truck Thermal Comfort SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3572 2002 10.4271/2002-01-3572
- Li , T. Analysis on the aerodynamic characteristic of the interior flow field of a truck Jilin University master's degree thesis Changchun, Jilin Jilin University 2007
- Shah , A. , Cless , C. , Curlee , J. , and Edmondson , J. Thermal Analysis and Simulations for Optimizing HVAC Load on Heavy Trucks SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2657 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2657
- Proc , K. , Chaney , L. , and Sailor , E. Thermal Load Reduction of Truck Tractor Sleeper Cabins SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 1 1 268 274 2009 10.4271/2008-01-2618
- Wang , J. , Hu , X. , Li , T. Inlets' Influence on Aerodynamic in Characteristics of a Cab's Interior Flow Field Journal of Chongqing University of Technology (Natural Science) 2010 7 7 11
- Lu , K. , Gu , Z. , Jia , X. , Yin , Y. Analysis and improvement of the effects of air-conditioning system on the thermal comfort of passenger compartment in a heavy truck AutomotiveEngineering 2011 2 162 166
- Yin , Y. Investigation and improvement on passenger compartment thermal comfort Hunan University master's degree thesis Changsha, Hunan Hunan University 2011
- Zou , Y. Experimental research on thermal comfort in truck cab Donghua University master's degree thesis Shanghai Donghua University 2011
- Zhang , W. Optimal Design of Vehicle Air Condition Base on Thermal Comfort of Human Body Hunan University master's degree thesis Changsha, Hunan Hunan University 2012
- Kobayashi , Y. , Mori , Y. , Yoshimura , S. , Tanabe , S. et al. Thermal comfort in car cabin with cooling individual body parts 10th International Conference on Healthy Buildings 2012 2 1030 1035 2012
- Cho , Y. , Choi , J. , Yoon , Y.G. , Jung , W.S. et al. Evaluation of thermal comfort in railroad passenger car by using climatic chamber 10th International Conference on Healthy Buildings 2012 2 1784 1786 2012
- Wang , M. , Wolfe , E ; Ghosh , D ; Bozeman , J et al. Localized Cooling for Human Comfort Source SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems 7 2 755 768 2014
- Yingchao Zhang Numerical simulation in aerodynamics of road vehicle Beijing Peking University Press 2011