This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Comparative Analysis of PEV Charging Impacts -An International Perspective
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Supported by generous federal incentives and customer acceptance, the number of plug-in electric vehicles (PEVs) is increasing worldwide. A PEV can be charged both at a residential or a commercial facility by connecting it to the power grid using a charging equipment. The power demand for a single PEV charging may exceed the peak power demand of an ordinary household. Hence, an increasing number of PEVs can potentially impact the power grid massively.
This paper aims to quantify the impacts of an increasing number of PEVs on power distribution circuits. A comparative analysis of the PEV impacts on the North American and European distribution circuits are presented. The study also identifies the indicators representative for quantifying the grid impacts of PEV charging.
The paper further intents to clarify the interface between OEMs and utilities in achieving the common goal of a successful PEV charging and therefore a faster customer acceptance. Conclusions and recommendations are presented for both instances to better understand the interface between PEV and power system.
|Journal Article||Parameter Estimation for Physical Based Air Path Models of Turbocharged Diesel Engines — An Experience Based Guidance|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Security for Plug-In Electric Vehicle Communications|
CitationBohn, S., Agsten, M., Dubey, A., and Santoso, S., "A Comparative Analysis of PEV Charging Impacts -An International Perspective," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0300, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0300.
- U.S. Department of Energy Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy Vehicle Technologies Program Multi-Year Program Plan (2011-2015)
- Deutschland Bundesregierung von Regierungsprogramm Elektromobilität 2011
- Howell D. 2010 Annual progress report for energy storage R&D, Vehicle Technologies Program, Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy U.S. Department of Energy 2011
- F. go. U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Electric Vehicles: Compare Side-by-Side.
- Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments Electric Vehicles in Metropolitan Washington 2012
- Farmer C. , Hines P. , Dowds J. , and Blumsack S. Modeling the Impact of Increasing PHEV Loads on the Distribution Infrastructure 43rd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS) 2010
- Dubey A. , Santoso S. , and Cloud M. P. Understanding the effects of electric vehicle charging on the distribution voltages IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting 2013 1 8
- Dubey A. , Santoso S. , and Cloud M. P. A practical approach to evaluate voltage quality effects of electric vehicle charging International Conference on Connected Vehicles and Exposition 2013
- U.S. Department of Energy Plug-In Electric Vehicle (PEV) Definition http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/9355
- IEC IEC 62196 - Plugs, socket-outlets, vehicle connectors and vehicle inlets - Conductive charging of electric vehicles 2014
- SAE Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice SAE Electric Vehicle and Plug in Hybrid Electric Vehicle Conductive Charge Coupler SAE Standard J1772 Oct. 2012
- IEC IEC 61851 - Electric vehicle conductive charging system 2011
- ShrinkThatFootprint.com Average household electricity use around the world http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/average-household-electricity-consumption
- Agsten M. , Schlegel S. , Westermann D. , Bohn S. , and Pfab X. Determinanten erfolgreichen Gesteuerten Ladens elektrischer Fahrzeuge VDE-Kongress 2012 2012
- Westermann D. , Agsten M. , and Schlegel S. Empirical BEV model for power flow analysis and demand side management purposes Modern Electric Power Systems (MEPS) 2010
- Agsten M. , Schlegel S. , and Westermann D. Einfluss Gesteuerten Ladens von Elektrofahrzeugen auf Verteilnetze bei volatiler Windeinspeisung At-Automatisierungstechnik 60 92 101 2012
- ANSI C84.1-2011 American National Standard for Electric Power Systems and Equipment-Voltage Ratings (60 Hz) 2011
- Ruhoff P. Einführung des TN-System bei RWE. 2010
- Oswald B. R. Berechnung von Drehstromnetzen - Berechnung stationärer und nichtstationärer Vorgänge mit Symmetrischen Komponenten und Raumzeigern Vieweg + Teubner 2009
- BDEW Technische Anschlussbedingungen für den Anschluss an das Niederspannungsnetz 2012
- ISO DIN EN 50160 - Voltage Characteristics of Public Distribution Systems 2011
- Fortescue C. L. Method of Symmetrical Co-Ordinates Applied to the Solution of Polyphase Networks Trans. Am. Inst. Electr. Eng. XXXVII 1918
- Dubey A. , Santoso S. , and Cloud M. P. Comparative analysis of effects of electric vehicle loads on distribution system voltages IEEE PES Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition 2014