This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Traffic Congestion Mitigation Using Intelligent Driver Model (IDM) Combined with Lane Changes - Why Congestion Detection is So Needed?
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Our study unveils what smart cars are needed to minimize congestion by traffic stability. We have previously considered pacer cars with single lane road networks based on a car following model, e.g. adaptive cruise control (ACC). However, pacer cars may have a limitation with multi-lane roadways in terms of lane distribution of traffic and shockwave suppression. Therefore, we motivate building a new smart car which extends the capability of pacer cars allowing lane changing at the timing of congestion detection. In essence, the congestion detection plays a role of adjusting the (time) headway of smart cars to determine whether lane changes should be undertaken. Lane changes can be used to uniformize (or equalize) lane distribution for traffic (flow) stability. Our simulation study has suggested that the proposed smart cars enforce the capability of traffic stability more than manual and pacer cars. As a result, we conclude that congestion detection would correspond to a boundary between the “longitudinal” and “lateral” driving tasks.
|Technical Paper||Control of Vehicular Platoons using Nearest Neighbor Interactions|
|Technical Paper||Collaborative Vehicle Tracking in Mixed-Traffic Environments: Scaled-Down Tests Using SimVille|
CitationKoshizen, T., Kamal, M., and Koike, H., "Traffic Congestion Mitigation Using Intelligent Driver Model (IDM) Combined with Lane Changes - Why Congestion Detection is So Needed?," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0294, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0294.
- Nagatani , T. The physics of traffic jams, Rep. Prog. Phys. 65 9 1331 1386 2002 10.1088/0034-4885/65/9/203
- Kerner , B. , The physics of traffic Springer Berlin, New York 2004 10.1007/978-3-540-40986-1
- Behl , M. and Mangharam , R. , Pacer Cars: Real-time traffic shockwave suppression 2010
- Koshizen , T. A smartphone-based intelligent vehicle system to minimize the possibility of traffic congestion occurrence, 643 644 Proc of 7 th IFAC Symposium on Advances in Automotive Control (AAC) 2013 10.3182/20130904-4-JP-2042.00125
- Daganzo , C. , Laval , J. , Munoz , J. Some ideas for freeway congestion mitigation with advanced technologies, Traffic engineering and control 10 43 397 403 2002
- Ahn , S. , Cassidy , J. Freeway traffic oscillations and vehicle lane-change maneuvers, Proc. 17 th Int. Symp on Traffic and Transp. Theory 1 691 710 2007 10.1016/j.sbspr.2011.04.540
- Hegyi , A. , Schutter , B. , Hellendoorn , J. Optimal coordination of variable speed limits to suppress shock waves, IEEE Trans. Intell. Transp. 6 1 102 112 2005 10.11091 TITS, 2004.842408
- Kamal , MAS. , Imura , J. , Hayakawa , T. , Ohata A. , Aihara , K. Smart driving of a vehicle using model predictive control for improving traffic flow, IEEE Trans Intell. Transp. 15 2 878 888 2014 15 2 878 888 2014
- Treiber , M. , Hennecke , A. , Helbing , D. Congested traffic states in empirical observations and microscopic simulations, Physical Review 62 1805 1824 2000 10.1103/PhysRevE.62.1805
- Kesting , A. , Treiber , M. , Helbing , D. General lane-changing model MOBIL for car-following models 86 94 2007 10.3141/1999-10
- Bando , M. , Hasebe , K. , Nakayama , A. , Shibata , A. , Sugiyama , Y. Dynamical model of traffic congestion and numerical simulation, Physical Review E 51 1035 1042 1995 10.1103/PhysRevE.51.1035
- Kesting , A. , Treiber , M. Calibration of car-following models using floating car data, Traffic and granular flow 117 127 2007
- Helly , W. Simulation of bottlenecks in single-lane traffic flow, Proc of Symp. on the theory of traffic flow 207 238 1961
- Schakel , W. , Arem B. , Netten , B. Effects of cooperative adaptive cruise control on traffic flow stability, Proc. of 13 th Inter. IEEE Annual Conf. on Intell. Transp. Sys. 2010 10.1109/ITSC,2010.5625133
- Koshizen , T. , Yamakawa , K. , Koike H. Feasibility study of smartphone-based solutions for traffic congestion minimization (in Japanese) Proc. of JSAE Annual Congress Spring 20145473 50 14
- Chatfield , T. , The analysis of time series - an introduction fourth Chapman and Hall London 2003
- Lorentz , N. Deterministic non-periodic flow, J. of atomospheric sciences 20(2) 130 141 10.1175/1520-0469(1963)020<0130:DNF>2.0.CO;2
- Vahidi , A. , Eskandarian , A. Research advances in intelligent collision avoidance and adaptive cruise control, IEEE Trans. Intell. Transp., Syst. 4 3 143 153 2003 10.1109/TITS.2003.821292
- Koshizen , T. , Yamakawa , K. , and Kondo K. Feasibility Study to Improve Prudent Driving Behaviors Using M2M Platform SAE 2015 World Congress & Exhibition April 2015