This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
50,000km On-Road Durability Test of Common-Rail Vehicle with 10% Blend of High Quality Biodiesel (H-FAME) from Jatropha
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 30, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effects of high quality biodiesel, namely, partially Hydrogenated Fatty Acid Methyl Ester or H-FAME, on 50,000km on-road durability test of unmodified common-rail vehicle have been investigated. Thailand popular brand new common-rail light duty vehicle, Isuzu D-Max Spacecab, equipped with 4JK1-STD engine (DOHC 4-cylinder 2.5L, M/T 4×2, Euro III emission) was chosen to undergo on-road test composed of well-mixed types of mountain, suburb and urban road conditions over the entire 50,000km. Jatropha-derived high quality biodiesel, H-FAME, conforming to WWFC (worldwide fuel charter) specification, was blended with normal diesel (Euro IV) at 10% (v/v) as tested fuel. Engine performance (torque and power), emission (CO, NOx, HC+NOx and PM), fuel consumption and dynamic response (0-100km acceleration time and maximum velocity) were analyzed at initial, middle and final distance; whereas, used lube oil analysis was conducted every 10,000km. After completion of 50,000km, engine parts were dissembled for further analyses. Wear rating via clearance measurement and cleanliness rating via visual inspection were conducted on intake/exhaust valves, pistons, cylinder heads/blocks and injectors according to manufacturer handbook. Overall assessment on the use of B10 from Jatropha H-FAME in unmodified common-rail vehicle over 50,000km revealed no significant difference from the normal diesel criteria. Maximum torque and power were within 3% variation from rated values throughout 50,000km. Euro III emission regulation was clear for NOx and HC+NOx while CO and PM can beneficially clear Euro IV emission regulation.
CitationChollacoop, N., Tongroon, M., Kananont, M., Suebwong, A. et al., "50,000km On-Road Durability Test of Common-Rail Vehicle with 10% Blend of High Quality Biodiesel (H-FAME) from Jatropha," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0115, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0115.
- Department of alternative energy development and efficiency (DEDE) Alternative Energy Development Plan for 25 Percent in 10 Years (AEDP: 2012-2021, revised on 16 July 2013) December 30 2014 http://weben.dede.go.th/webmax/content/dede-adjusts-alternative-energy-target
- Department of alternative energy development and efficiency (DEDE) Statistics of biofuel consumption December 30 2014 http://www.dede.go.th/dede/images/stories/stat_dede/sit_57/re_1_calendar.pdf http://webkc.dede.go.th/testmax/sites/default/files/alternative%20energy2013%20.pdf
- Laoonual , Y. Moving towards Smart City 2030: Sustainable Road Transportation 2 nd KMUTT Energy Forum Bangkok, Thailand October 11 2012 December 30 2014 http://energyforum.kmutt.ac.th/download/sustainable-road-transport-2030.pdf
- Yoshimura , Y. , Chollacoop , N. and Oguma , M. Biodiesel Usage and Governmental Support in Thai Transportation J. Soc. Auto. Engr Jpn. 68 10 56 62 2014
- Mandpe , S. , Kadlaskar , S. , Degen , W. , and Keppeler , S. On Road Testing of Advanced Common Rail Diesel Vehicles with Biodiesel from the Jatropha Curcas plant SAE Technical Paper 2005-26-356 2005 10.4271/2005-26-356
- Cetinkaya , M. , Ulusoy , Y. , Tekin , Y. , and Karaosmanoglu , F. Engine and Winter Road Test Performances of Used Cooking Oil Originated Biodiesel Energ. Convers. Manage. 46 1279 1291 2005 10.1016/j.enconman.2004.06.022
- Agarwal , A. , Srivastava , D. , Dwivedi , G. , Kawatra , G. et al. Field Trials of Biodiesel (B100) and Diesel Fuelled Common Rail Direct Injection Euro-III Compliant Sports Utility Vehicles in Indian Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2008-28-0077 2008 10.4271/2008-28-0077
- Tormos , B. , Macian , V. , Gargar , K. , and Redon , P. Results of an Operating Experience for Urban Buses Fuelled with Biodiesel Blends (B50) SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1827 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1827
- Massa , C. , Benvenutti , L. , Filho , M. , de Araújo , J. et al. Fleet Test Evaluation of B5 Blends (5% Biodiesel) in Pickups SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0293 2008 10.4271/2008-36-0293
- Verhaeven , E. , Pelkmans , L. , Govaerts , L. , Lamers , R. et al. Results of demonstration and evaluation projects of biodiesel from rapeseed and used frying oil on light and heavy duty vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2201 2005 10.4271/2005-01-2201
- Proc , K. , Barnitt , R. , Hayes , R. , Ratcliff , M. et al. 100,000-Mile Evaluation of Transit Buses Operated on Biodiesel Blends (B20) SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3253 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3253
- Chase , C. , Peterson , C. , Lowe , G. , Mann , P. et al. A 322,000 kilometer (200,000 mile) Over the Road Test with HySEE Biodiesel in a Heavy Duty Truck SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2647 2000 10.4271/2000-01-2647
- European Committee for Standardization (CEN) Liquid petroleum products - Fatty acid methyl esters (FAME) for use in diesel engines and heating applications - Requirements and test methods EN14214-2012 August 2012
- Japanese Industrial Standards (JIS) Automotive fuels - Fatty acid methyl ester (FAME) as blend stock JIS K2390 2008
- East Asia Summit - Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (EAS-ERIA) Biodiesel Fuel Trade Handbook: 2010 December 30 2014 http://www.eria.org/EAS-ERIA_Biodiesel%20Fuel%20Trade_Handbook_2010.pdf
- World Wide Fuel Charter (WWFC) Biodiesel Guidelines December 30 2014 http://www.jama.or.jp/eco/wwfc/pdf/B100_Guideline_final_26Mar09.pdf
- Manufacturer's manual for engine model 4JK1-TC/4JJ1-TC (confidential)