This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Comparison between Caster and Lean Angle in Generating Variable Camber
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 10, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A variation in the camber of an automotive wheel is desired to compensate a side-slip force change owing to normal load transfer when the car is cornering. The camber of a steered wheel can be varied by adjusting caster or lean angle which are the representations of steering axis orientation. Thus, a smart camber can be created by a variable caster or lean angle. Choosing which parameter among the two angles to be variable is very important and dependent on its different effects. Here, homogeneous transformation is employed to establish camber as a function of caster, lean angle, and steering angle in the general case. A comparison between caster and lean angle based on different criteria is then made. The comparison shows that a variable caster is much better and more feasible than a variable lean angle in generating a smart camber.
|Technical Paper||Steering Geometry and Caster Measurement|
|Technical Paper||A Method to Analyze “The Imaginary Kingpin Axis” in Multi-Link Type Suspension Systems|
|Technical Paper||Validation of 2D Mathematical Model Applied to Reach The Zero Bump Steer|
CitationVo, D., Jazar, R., and Fard, M., "A Comparison between Caster and Lean Angle in Generating Variable Camber," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0067, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0067.
- Jazar, R.N., Vehicle Dynamics. 2014: Springer New York.
- Wong, J.Y., Theory of ground vehicles. 2001: John Wiley & Sons.
- Reimpell, J., Stoll H., and Betzler J.W., 3 - Wheel travel and elastokinematics, in The Automotive Chassis (Second Edition), Reimpell J., Stoll H., and Betzler J.W., Editors. 2000, Butterworth-Heinemann: Oxford. p. 149-265.
- Milliken, W., and Milliken, D., “Chassis Design, Principles and Analysis,” (Warrendale, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 1992), ISBN 978-0-7680-0826-5
- Jazar, R.N., Subic A., and Zhang N., Kinematics of a smart variable caster mechanism for a vehicle steerable wheel. Vehicle System Dynamics, 2012. 50(12): p. 1861-1875.
- Jazar, R.N., Theory of Applied Robotics: Kinematics, Dynamics, and Control (2nd Edition). Kinematics, Dynamics, and Control (2nd Edition). 2010, Boston, MA: Springer US: Boston, MA.