This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improving Brake Performance in Autonomous Vehicles AKA More Friction!
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 10, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Performance abilities that exceed the physical capability of current safety features and design compromises can be achieved in the future by adding new active safety devices externally to autonomous vehicles (autonomous car safety efforts centered on improving problem detection and reaction times are beyond the scope of this paper). This paper shows that multiple physical improvements are now available to car designers including increased braking friction/capability on dry roads, the ability to dry/clear-out wet surfaces, active anti-rollover protection, active anti-over-steer, spin prevention, and automated jacking/lift capability.
CitationNunneley, C., "Improving Brake Performance in Autonomous Vehicles AKA More Friction!," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0036, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0036.
- Kim , B. , Kim , J. , and Kim , S. Vehicle Drift Investigation during Straight Line Accelerating and Braking SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0588 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0588
- Yoon , J. , Cho , W. , Yi , K. , and Koo , B. Vehicle Stability Control Scheme for Rollover Prevention and Maneuverability/Lateral Stability Improvement SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0826 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0826
- Kelley , J. Factors Affecting Passenger Tire Traction on the Wet Road SAE Technical Paper 680138 1968 10.4271/680138
- Badiru , I. The Three Suspension Roll Centers and their Application to Vehicle Dynamics SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0136 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0136
- Kaul , V. , Singh , S. , Rajagopalan , K. , and Coury , M. Consumer Attitudes and Perceptions about Safety and Their Preferences and Willingness to Pay for Safety SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2336 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2336
- Hopkins , B. , Taheri , S. , Ahmadian , M. , and Reid , A. Yaw Stability Control and Emergency Roll Control for Vehicle Rollover Mitigation SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1901 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1901
- Hawkes , Elliot W. , Eason , Eric V. , Christensen , David L. , Cutkosky , Mark R. Human climbing with efficiently scaled gecko-inspired dry adhesives The Royal Society Publishing 10.1098/rsif.2014.0675Published 19 November 2014
- Nave , C.R. Stopping Distance For Auto http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/crstp.html Georgia State University 2014