This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design Optimization of a Control System with a Variable Inertia Mechanism to Improve Shift Feeling in a Manual Transmission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 10, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Shift feeling is one of the most important factors in developing a manual transmission. When drivers operate a manual transmission vehicle, they experience shift feeling which is classified into several factors such as shift smoothness, clarity, comfortability, sportiness, and so on. In the factors, shift smoothness characterized by double bump force is regarded as one of the most important things in experiencing shift feeling in Europe. The double bump force is reduced by attaching a constant mass damper which creates larger inertia of shift lever in control system of manual transmissions. However, it is possible to have side effects such as vibration of shift lever and clonk noise when employing the constant mass damper. In this research, a new control system with a variable inertia mechanism is designed and investigated to improve shift feeling while minimizing the side effects. The variable inertia mechanism is allowed to change inertia of the shift lever with respect to rotational angle of control shaft using a kind of lever mechanism. The change of the inertia is determined from motion of equation of the mechanism and also angular momentum of shift lever is calculated. Optimization method is employed to find out joint points of the new control system. Then, total mass of inertia body is minimized while amount of the change of the inertia is maximized. The shift feeling of a manual transmission with the new control system was verified by employing the previously developed shift feeling simulator and performing the vehicle test.
CitationPark, K., Suh, H., and Son, B., "Design Optimization of a Control System with a Variable Inertia Mechanism to Improve Shift Feeling in a Manual Transmission," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0020, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0020.
- Suh , H. S. and Cho , C. Y. Optimization of Detent Pin Groove Profile to Improve Shift Feeling 16th Hyundai·Kia Motors Conference DT-2008-011 2008
- Sharma , M. and Savla , J. Shift System Inertia Mass Optimization Techniques to Minimize Double Bump for Manual Transmission SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1999 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1999
- Kim , J. , Sung , D. , Seok , C. , Kim , * et al. Development of Shift Feeling Simulator for a Manual Transmission SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2202 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2202
- Kwon , K. H. , Park , K. J. and Lim , C. H. Design Optimization of Shift Mechanism in a Manual Transmission to Improve Shift Feeling 19th Hyundai·Kia Motors Conference DT-2011-026 2011
- Kunal , R. , Adiga , G. , Gill , S. , and Sharma , M. Simulation of Gear Shift Force Curve and Shift Rail Ramp Profile SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0896 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0896
- Singh , B. , Vats , R. , Garg , R. , and Tanwar , M. Dynamic Simulation of Shift Tower SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2790 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2790
- Park , G. J. Analytical Methods in Design Practice Springer Germany 2007
- LMS Imagine.Lab AMESim AMESim Reference Manual Siemens PLM Software 2014