This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Naturally Aspirated Four Stroke Racing Engine with One Intake and One Exhaust Horizontal Rotary Valve per Cylinder and Central Direct Injection and Ignition by Spark or Jet
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 10, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper discusses the benefits of a four stroke engine having one intake and one exhaust rotary valve. The rotary valve has a speed of rotation half the crankshaft and defines an open passage that may permit up to extremely sharp opening or closing and very large gas exchange areas. The dual rotary valve design is applied to a racing engine naturally aspirated V-four engine of 1000cc displacement, gasoline fuelled with central direct injection and spark ignition. The engine is then modeled by using a 1D engine & gas dynamics simulation software package to assess the potentials of the solution. The improved design produces much larger power densities than the version of the engines with traditional poppet valves revving at higher speeds, with reduced frictional losses, and with larger gas exchange areas while also improving the fuel conversion efficiency thanks to the sharpness of opening or closing events. The novelty in the proposed dual rotary valve system is the combustion chamber of good shape and high compression ratio with central direct injector and spark plug coupled to the large gas exchange areas of the rotary valve system. Finally, jet-ignition is shown as a valuable tool to improve the rate of combustion also in stoichiometric and near stoichiometric racing engines applications with benefits in terms of fuel conversion efficiency and combustion stability.
CitationBoretti, A., Jiang, S., and Scalzo, J., "A Naturally Aspirated Four Stroke Racing Engine with One Intake and One Exhaust Horizontal Rotary Valve per Cylinder and Central Direct Injection and Ignition by Spark or Jet," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0006, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0006.
- Wallis Tony The Bishop Rotary Valve Auto Technology 2007 http://home.people.net.au/∼mrbdesign/PDF/AutoTechBRV.pdf
- Boretti , A. and Villa , F. Design of the Fiat Auto Corse ITC 96Racing Engine - Part I: Valve Lift Profiles and Timings SAE Technical Paper 980124 1998 10.4271/980124
- Boretti , A. and Secchi , D. Design of the Fiat Auto Corse ITC96 Racing Engine - Part II:Pipe Lengths and Diameters SAE Technical Paper 980125 1998 10.4271/980125
- Watson H. , Boretti A. , Chow P. , and Wallis T. Top land crevice and piston deflection effects on combustion in a high speed rotary valve engine SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-3005 1998 10.4271/2008-01-3005
- Boretti , A. Parametric Design of FIM WGP Engines SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3317 2002 10.4271/2002-01-3317
- Boretti , A. and Watson , H. Changes to Fim-Moto GP Rules to Reduce Costs and Make Racing More Directly Relevant to Road Motorcycle Development SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2957 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2957
- Mattarelli , E. Moto GP 2007: Criteria for engine optimization Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 130 1 2009
- Cantore , G. and Mattarelli , E. Similarity Rules and Parametric Design of Four Stroke MotoGP Engines SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3560 2004 10.4271/2004-01-3560
- Cantore , G. and Mattarelli , E. Comparison of Four Stroke MotoGP Engines SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3559 2004 10.4271/2004-01-3559
- Boretti , A.A. , Watson , H.C. Enhanced combustion by jet ignition in a turbocharged cryogenic port fuel injected hydrogen engine International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 34 5 2511 2516 2009
- Boretti , A.A. , Watson , H.C. The lean burn direct injection jet ignition gas engine International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 34 18 7835 7841 2009
- Boretti , A. Comparison of fuel economies of high efficiency diesel and hydrogen engines powering a compact car with a flywheel based kinetic energy recovery systems International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 35 16 8417 8424 2010
- Boretti , A. , Watson , H. , Tempia , A. Computational analysis of the lean-burn direct-injection jet ignition hydrogen engine Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 224 2 261 269 2010
- Boretti , A. Stoichiometric H2ICEs with water injection International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 36 7 4469 4473 2011
- Boretti , A. Stoichiometric H2ICE with water injection and exhaust and coolant heat recovery through organic Rankine cycles International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 36 19 12591 12600 2011
- Boretti A. , and Scalzo , J. Design of 65 degree V4 Moto GP engines with pneumatic poppet valves or rotary valves 15SIAT-0092