This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Auralization of Vehicle Sound in Development and Production
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 04, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The sound of the engine has a significant influence on the driver's perception of the performance, comfort and quality of a vehicle and hence their overall satisfaction with the product. Therefore achieving the right engine sound inside the vehicle is one of the key deliverables in the NVH process.
In the case of a vehicle fitted with an internal combustion engine this is usually done by tuning the mechanical components whereas in quiet vehicles (e.g. Hybrid or Electric) a virtual engine sound can be generated using sound synthesis algorithms incorporated into the vehicle's electronic systems.
In either case, the task of developing an appropriate engine sound can be made more robust, efficient and understandable by using an NVH Simulator, which is an interactive tool for auralising and evaluating all NVH data (Test and/or CAE) in the correct context (i.e. while driving) at all stages in the development of a vehicle.
Similarly, road noise and wind noise also greatly affect the driver's overall perception of the vehicle, and is an integral part of the total vehicle sound.
This paper demonstrates how NVH simulator technology can be used as a highly effective tool for target setting, identifying and assessing the effect of design changes, confirming the target sound on the road before committing to hardware and even delivering/enhancing engine sounds in production vehicles.
CitationBogema, D., "Auralization of Vehicle Sound in Development and Production," SAE Technical Paper 2014-36-0804, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-36-0804.
- Kennings Paul R. , Senapati Uday , Fothergill David , Syred Frank A Novel Use of Acoustic and Vibration Simulation Techniques to Develop Better Ride Comfort for a Luxury Cabriolet Car SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1956 2013
- Gillibrand , A. , Suffield , I. , Vinamata , X. , Williams , R. et al. An Initial Study to Develop Appropriate Warning Sound for a Luxury Vehicle Using an Exterior Sound Simulator SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1727 2011
- Bogema David , Clapper Mark , Schabel Brian , Allman-Ward Mark et al. Sound Simulation and NVH Tuning of a Multi-Mode Engine SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2191 2009
- Quinn David , Speed-Andrews Paul , Allman-Ward Mark , Heinz Thorsten How Advances in On-Road NVH Simulator technology have enabled firm targets for delivery at the concept phase SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2178 2009
- Kavarana Farokh , Taschuk Gene , Schiller Todd , Bogema David An Efficient Approach to Improving Vehicle Acceleration Sound Quality using an NVH Simulator SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2190 2009
- Giudice , S. et al. Understanding opinion forming processes during on-road evaluations of whole vehicle sound quality SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2187 2009
- Giudice , S. et al. Optimising the value of Sound Quality evaluations by observing Assessors' driving strategies EuroNoise 2008
- Dunne , G. et al An efficient approach to powertrain sound quality decision making based on interactive evaluations using an NVH Simulator SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2392 2007
- Jennings , P. et al. Using an Interactive NVH Simulator to Understand Driver Behaviour during Sound Evaluations SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2393 2007
- Williams , R. et al Using an Interactive NVH Simulator to Capture and Understand Customer Opinions about Vehicle Sound Quality Proceedings of SIAT 2007