This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aging in Natural Water of Composite of Polyester Resin and Sisal Fiber
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work has the purpose to study the effects of aging in natural water on a composite material of polyester matrix reinforced with sisal fibers. The specimens were produced by manual methods, not requiring high technologic devices or being costly.
The polyester matrix used was terephthalic unsaturated polyester resin, whose curing agent was MK (Butanox M-50), in proportion of 0,33% (v/v). The sisal fiber used was obtained at a popular trade center in the city of Belém-PA, the fibers were acquired in natural environmental conditions and without treatments. These materials were used to create specimens in the ASTM D 638M standard, which got under aging process after lining. The water absorption was measured by weighing the specimens during the aging.
The samples were submitted for a tensile test after the aging time, evaluating how the process changes the properties of the composite. The results show that the increasing water absorption by the composite during the aging process decreases the tensile resistance and the elasticity of the specimens.
- João Henrique Santos Souza - Universidade Federal do Pará
- Douglas Santos Silva - Universidade Federal do Pará
- Marcos Rafael da Silva Jorge - Universidade Federal do Pará
- Felipe Pinheiro Teixeira - Universidade Federal do Pará
- Carlindo Lins Pereira Filho - Universidade Federal do Pará
- Roberto Tetsuo Fujiyama - Universidade Federal do Pará
CitationSouza, J., Silva, D., Silva Jorge, M., Teixeira, F. et al., "Aging in Natural Water of Composite of Polyester Resin and Sisal Fiber," SAE Technical Paper 2014-36-0467, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-36-0467.
- Jiang , H. , Kamdem , P. Development of poly(vinylchloride)/wood composites Journal of Vinyl and Additive Technology 10 59 2004
- Di Bella , G. , Fiore , V. , Galtieri , G. , Borsellino , C. , and Valenza , A. Effects of natural fibres reinforcement in lime plaster (kenaf and sisal vs. Polypropylene) Construction and Building Materials 58 2014 159 165
- Murkherjee , P.S. and Satyanarayana , K.G. Structure and properties of some vegetable fibres, part 1. Sisal fibre Journal of Materials Science 1984 19 3925 34
- Chand , N. , Tiwary , R.K. and Rohatgi , P.K. Bibliography resource structure properties of natural cellulosic fibres - an annotated bibliography Journal of Materials Science 1988 23 381 7
- Silva , R.V. Compósitos de Resina Poliuretano Derivada de Óleo de Mamona e Fibras Vegetais Tese Doutorado em Ciências e engenharia dos Materiais Universidade de São Paulo São Paulo 2003
- Carvalho , R.F. Compósitos de Fibras de Sisal para uso em Reforço de Estruturas de Madeira Tese Doutorado em Ciência e Engenharia dos Materiais Universidade de São Paulo São Carlos 2005
- Rodolfo , A. Jr. Estudo da Processabilidade e das Propriedades de PVC Reforçado com Resíduos de Pinus Dissertação Mestrado em Engenharia Escola Politécnica, Universidade de São Paulo São Paulo 2005
- Rodrigues , J.S. and Fujiyama , R.T. Mechanical Behavior of Polyester and Sisal Fibers SAE Technical Paper Series 2010-36-0409 2012 10.4271/2010-36-0409
- Leman , Z. , Sapuan , S.M. , Saifol , A.M. , Maleque , M.A. , and Ahmad , M.M.H.M. Moisture absorption behavior of sugar palm fiber reinforced epoxy composites Materials and Design 29 2008 1666 1670
- Hu , R. , Sun , M. and Lim , J. Moisture absorption, tensile strength and microstructure evolution of short jute fiber/polylactide composite in hydrothermal environment Materials and Design 31 2010 3167 3173
- Venkateshwaran , N. , ElayaPerumal , A. , Alavudeen , A. and Thiruchitrambalam M. Mechanical and water absorption behavior of banana/sisal reinforced hybrid composites Materials and Design 32 2011 4017 4021
- Wang , W. , Sain , M. and Cooper , P.A. Study of moisture absorption in natural fiber plastic composites Composites Science and Technology 66 2006 379 386
- Dhakal , H.N. , Zhang , Z.Y. and Richardson , M.O.W. Effect of water absorption on the mechanical properties of hemp fiber reinforced unsaturated polyester composites Composites Science and Technology 67 2007 1674 1683
- Akil , H.M. , Cheng , L.W. , MohdIshak , Z.A. , Abu Bakar , A. , AbdRahman , M.A. Water absorption study on pultruded jute fiber reinforced unsaturated polyester composites Composites Science and Technology 69 2009 1942 1948
- Athijayamania , A. , Thiruchitrambalamb , M. , Natarajana , U. and Pazhanivel , B. Effect of moisture absorption on the mechanical properties of randomly oriented natural fibers/polyester hybrid composite Materials Science and Engineering A 517 2009 344 353
- Deo , C. and Acharya , S.K. Effect of Moisture Absorption on Mechanical Properties of Chopped Natural Fiber Reinforced Epoxy Composite Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites. Version of Record
- Chow , C.P.L. , Xing , X.S. , Li , R.K.Y. Moisture absorption studies of sisal fiber reinforced polypropylene composites Composites Science and Technology 67 2007 306 313