This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Ethanol Spray Produced by Direct Injection into a Single Cylinder Optical Research Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Atomization parameters from the spray produced by a direct injection injector, operating into an engine with optical access were analyzed in this work. Parameters such as cone angle, penetration and spray geometry for determined crank angles and different rotations, with the respective variability, were evaluated for ethanol injection. Images from spray injection were captured for the specified rotation conditions for the angle and geometry analysis. For the penetration analysis, the image acquisition occurred with crank angle variation, obtaining a mean value with respect to the spray displacement of a point of maximum concentration on a specified direction. Lines were adjusted to the penetration data and the penetration rates (velocities) were evaluated through its slopes. For the cone angle and geometry study, an automatic routine in Matlab environment for image processing was used. For cone angle analysis, concentric arcs to a point considered as the origin of a polar coordinate system, and confined between the spray contours, were considered. A relation of this parameter to the distance from the injector was then studied. For the geometry analysis, data from the contours in a Cartesian coordinate system were evaluated, and linear adjustments were obtained, giving a single value for the cone angle with respect to the slope of the straight lines adjusted.
- Marcio Expedito Guzzo - Technology Center of Mobility-UFMG
- Roberto Berlini Rodrigues da Costa - Technology Center of Mobility-UFMG
- Carlos Alberto Gomes Júnior - Technology Center of Mobility-UFMG
- Deborah Domingos da Rocha - Technology Center of Mobility-UFMG
- Leonardo Mayer Reis - Technology Center of Mobility-UFMG
- José Eduardo Mautone Barros - Technology Center of Mobility-UFMG
- Fabrício José Pacheco Pujatti - Technology Center of Mobility-UFMG
CitationGuzzo, M., da Costa, R., Gomes Júnior, C., da Rocha, D. et al., "Analysis of Ethanol Spray Produced by Direct Injection into a Single Cylinder Optical Research Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-36-0345, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-36-0345.
- Benefícios em usar etanol http://www.novacana.com/etanol/beneficios/ April 17 th 2014
- Nogueira , L. A. H. , Seabra , J. E. A. , Best , G. , Leal , M. R. L. V. , & Poppe , M. K. 2008 Bioetanol de cana-de-açúcar: energia para o desenvolvimento sustentável BNDES Rio de Janeiro 316
- Tomanik , E. , Uehara , S. SAE Brasil Engenharia automotiva e aeroespacial Revista ano 14, number 58 mar apr 2014
- Baumgarten , C. Mixture formation in internal combustion engines Germany Springer 2006 294
- Lefebvre , A. H. 1989 Atomization and Sprays Taylor and Francis London
- Settles , G. S. 2006 Schlieren and shadowgraph techniques: visualizing phenomena in transparent media 2 Germany Springer 376
- https://www.avl.com/its May 5 th 2014
- Davis , R. S. , & Patterson , G. J. 2006 Cylinder pressure data quality checks and procedures to maximize data accuracy (No. 2006-01-1346 ). SAE technical paper
- Heywood , John B. Internal combustion engine fundamentals 930 New York Mcgraw-hill 1988