This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aerodynamic Analysis of a Vehicle Minibus
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this study was to develop the aerodynamic study of a minibus vehicle. With the objective reduce fuel consumption and consequently the emission of harmful gases to the environment, given that the aerodynamic improvements have reduced cost compared to improvement of the internal combustion engine.
The proposed initial of the project was to identify the aerodynamic coefficient of the existing vehicle from the 3D CAD model. After preliminary analysis of the model and based on studies conducted are effected changes in order to achieve better results in the design of new generations of the vehicle.
The simulation of the air flow over the vehicle was performed in three steps: design on SolidWorks CAD, discretization of the computational domain using ICEM CFD meshing and BETA CAE ANSA and ANSYS (FLUENT) solve to Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD).we used the turbulence models of two equations k-ε Standard and k-ε Realizable having a better approximation of the actual result.
Was verified that through small changes in geometry can improve the aerodynamic performance of the minibus and consequently reduce vehicle fuel consumption and emission of environmentally harmful gases. Analyzing the results, it was observed that small changes in geometry of the vehicle has been possible to achieve a reduction of almost 20% of the drag coefficient which results in a fuel savings of about 10%, being possible to deploy this change in any current model of minibus due to them being changes that do not impact on the structure and existing project.
CitationRodrigues, A., Gertz, L., Cervieri, A., and Telh, M., "Aerodynamic Analysis of a Vehicle Minibus," SAE Technical Paper 2014-36-0327, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-36-0327.
- Carregari , André Luiz Estudo do escoamento do Ar sobre a Carroceria de um Ônibus USP São Carlos 2006
- Videira , Luis C. P. Estudo Experimental de um Modelo de Ônibus com ênfase no escoamento da Esteira ITA - Instituto Tecnológico de Aeronáutica 2001
- Hucho , Wolf-Heinrich Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles fourth SAE International 1998
- Gilhaus , A. The influence of Cab Shape on Air Drag of Trucks Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 1981
- Mcdonald , A. T. ; Palmer , G. M. Aerodinamic Drag Redution of Intercity Buses SAE Paper n° 801404 1980
- Mezarciöz , S. Aerodynamic of a Model Bus Çukurova University - Institute if Natural and Applied Sciences 2006
- Raveendran , A. Exterior Styling of an Intercity Transport Bus for Improved Aerodynamic Performance SASTECH 2009
- Callen , M.C. , Salari , K. , Ortega , J. , Browand , F. , Hammache , M. , HSU , T. 2004 Effort to Reduce Truck Aerodynamic Drag - Joint Experiments and Computations Lead to Smart Design AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference
- Patil , C. N. Aerodynamic Study and drag coefficient optimization of passenger vehicle International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology 2012
- Ahmed , S. R. Wake Structure of typical Automobile Shapes Journal of Fluids Engineering Vol. 130 1981
- Ahmed , S.R. 1983 Influence of base slant on the wake structure and drag of road vehicles Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Fluids Engineering 105 429 434
- Rodrigues , A. , Gertz , L. , Cervieri , A. , and Berto , L. Aerodynamic Design and Analysis of a Vehicle Prototype Racing Sport SAE Technical Paper 201336-0326 2013 10.4271/2013-36-0326
- ANSA BETA CAE v.14.x Tutorials External Aerodynamics - Hybrid Volume Mesh BETA CAE Systems S.A. 2013
- ANSYS FLUENT ANSYS FLUENT Theory Guide: Version 14.0 Canonsburg ANSYS Inc. 2012
- LANFRIT , M. Best practice guidelines for handling Automotive External aerodynamics with FLUENT Darmstadt, Germany 2005
- Telh , M. A. Aerodynamic Analysis of a Vehicle Minibuses Conclusion Work of Undergraduate Course (Graduate Mechanical Automotive Engineering) Lutheran University of Brazil Canoas 2013
- Cepeda , Fernando and Hernández , Francisco A. Fluidodinámica Computacional aplicada a vehículos: Estudio de la influencia de lasruedas y lospasos de rueda en la aerodinámica de un automövil Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya. Departament de Mecànica de Fluids 2006